A View to a Kill

My bad - it was a frigate. I could only recall the interior.

I thought it must be something like that. However, it then begs the question, do you find the climax of TWINE boring?

1 Like

Even when I was ten, at the cinema, I thought it was dull and anticlimactic. There simply wasn’t enough room in the sub to have a proper fight. At best, it was pretty muted, I think. (Also, Bond telling Renard that Electra was dead - don’t annoy the guy when he already wants to kill you!).

I didn’t used to care for the sub at the beginning of The Spy Who Loved Me either, but looking at it now, it’s quite alarming to see people drown, which makes it somewhat interesting. Thunderball, too, suffers from all it’s underwater scenes, as you know there’s going to be no dialogue and movements will be slow.

Bond telling Renard Elektra is dead is meant to rile him up. It’s Bond telling Renard the only thing he cares about is gone and to agitate him. People who get very emotional can make mistakes. And Renard does make a mistake by leaving Bond alive near the hoses.

I do agree that Thunderball’s finale suffers from too long of an undersea battle. It ruins the pacing at the end. Shave about 3 minutes off the fight and it would be a lot better.

Okay, I’m obviously confusing it with what I would do.

The underwater music in Thunderball stays with me too, and not in the best way. It is a good film, though. I don’t think there’s a bad one in the whole series.

I can’t relate, because as a child I was always fascinated by submarines and underwater work. Assault on a Queen and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are two of my formative essentials. Likewise Thunderball. A climax where not only are Bond and Christmas trapped aboard a sabotaged submarine, but one which is driving itself nose-first into the seabed was deliciously agonizing for me.

1 Like

Let’s not forget what was most impressive about that scene, though: Pierce’s royal blue shirt and beige trousers.

Denise Richards could have replaced Jacqueline Bisset (The Deep) on every fanboy’s wall if the costumer had made a different decision re: sports bras.

1 Like

TND and TWINE were the first Bond movies I saw in the cinema. The TWINE finale was more low key but I remember being engrossed by the submarine sequence - particularly the concept of Bond holding his breath. Like Goldeneye 64, the TWINE video game raised my enjoyment of the concepts.

DAF was Roger Moore’s favourite Bond movie, so I think that says it’s a masterpiece from a comedic point of view. Say what you want about DAF and NSNA, but the dialogue is hilarious.

Interesting perspective.

AVTAK wouldn’t be a Bond film I’d show a new fan, particularly one looking to explore the Moore era, as I’d first direct them to the heyday (TSWLM or LALD). But I’m comfortable enough with its place in the canon. If someone came across it I think there’s enough content for them to walk away feeling okay.

2 Likes

I love AVTAK great titelsong, classic spy adventure, brilliant villain even the henchwoman was formidable (Roger Moore should have gotten an oscar for the love scene he played with her, Tibbet should have been John Steed and both elderly men should have had their adventure.
Tanya Roberts was perhaps miscast even if she was quite a dish but inappropriately young for likes of Moore.
The movie was a decent spy movie that used Moore his strong points even if perhaps OP should have been his swansong and bow out. Perhaps Dalton or Brosnan could have done much better.

1 Like