Deathmatch 2022: Main Titles - Group C

So – Main Title sequences.

We’ve already had Deathmatches about the songs (albeit I obviously recognise not all of those in that round of Deathmatches were played over the titles), so for this one lead with your impression of the visuals rather than the vocals / da tune – although obviously how those visuals play out alongside the music is an entirely justifiable consideration and it would be madness to deny it. Madness, I say.

This is ultimately more sight than sound, though.

Voting closes September 17.

• Thunderball
  • The Spy who Loved Me

0 voters

• Thunderball
  • The World is Not Enough

0 voters

• Thunderball
  • Quantum of Solace

0 voters

• Thunderball
  • Skyfall

0 voters

• The Spy who Loved Me

0 voters

• The Spy who Loved Me
  • Quantum of Solace

0 voters

• The Spy who Loved Me
  • Skyfall

0 voters

• Quantum of Solace

0 voters

• Skyfall

0 voters

• Quantum of Solace
  • Skyfall

0 voters

2 Likes

My rankings:

1. Skyfall - The best of this bunch, and it’s one of my favorites along with OHMSS, perfectly crafted, great artistry, creative designs, great transitions, the blending of colors, it’s almost like a moving painting! This title sequence has its own story, it’s entertaining and amazing, the dramatic designs perfectly fits with Adele’s song, fantastic and beautiful.

2. The Spy Who Loved Me - One of my favorites as well, the silhouettes were greatly crafted, again, it tells a story through some transitions played in with Carly Simon’s song, the Egyptian themed designs, Roger Moore’s projection is probably my favorite here, it worked well here, the flag of Britain, it’s very much OHMSS 2.0, very artistic and you really feel the emotion, the second best in this bunch.

3. The World Is Not Enough - It’s a good title sequence, good designs, mixing of colors, the oil themed backgrounds, my only complaint was it didn’t played very well with the song, it’s a sexy presentation but it’s better to be watched without the song, it just didn’t mixed well.

4. Quantum Of Solace - It’s a decent Title Sequence, I liked the desert theme with different formations with Bond’s silhouette walking through them, but it’s moving a lot in different angles and places, that makes me somewhat dizzy and distracting, the design of women’s silhouettes forming together while dancing was good, but again it’s moving so much, it fits well with the song, it’s a decent one.

5. Thunderball - The weakest of this group for me, not much happening on this one, it’s full of underwater with silhouette women turning into different colors, it’s great for its time, but if you watch it now, one may find it a bit boring, it did fits well with the song though.

My main titles sequence ranking:

1. The Spy Who Loved Me – Maurice Binder’s masterpiece. His best Bond effort. Great visuals and imagery. A terrific continuation from the pre-titles ski jump.

2. Skyfall – Very nicely done. Great visuals with a moody atmosphere.

3. The World Is Not Enough – I like it a lot. The oil motif and corresponding colors are well done. Third here, but still one of my favorites.

4. Thunderball – Simple but very effective. Silhouetted nudes swimming in a multi-colored lit pool. Genius. With this one, Binder was off and running for 20 years.

5. Quantum Of Solace – Didn’t really like this one initially, but like No Time To Die’s main titles sequence, it has grown on me a little. But it still remains a rather blah entry visually.

Surprises of Group: TWINE and QOS are not bad sequences–especially TWINE.

TB–I did not need spear guns firing between women’s legs

TSWLM–just as MR remakes it, and does it better–same holds true of title sequence.