Deathmatch 2022: Victims - Group D

Voting ends September 24

Possibly an area where not every film conforms to the idea that there is a victim or sacrifical lamb, but most do and even amongst the ones that are a bit thin in that regard, there’s a “victim of circumstance”, even if it’s of their own making.

Hence putting the film names after Victim name here, just in case anyone’s unsure why General Moon’s in there. Oddly, for a film that wants to “celebrate” and reference as much as possibly, there’s no classic “Victim” in Die Another Day (i.e helps Bond, gets killed, Bond is sad for seven seconds) but DaddyMoon has a little story going on and maintains dignity when all else around him is wretched. So, it’s him. The potentially sympathetic character is a North Korean General. What an eccentric film.

The utter culture-shock of Plenty O’Toole taking on General Moon also pleaseth my noddle. They are characters in the same series. Blimey.

Later rounds, will probably drop the film suffixes as everyone will know what’s going on and it’ll all be strawberries…

Anyway…Victims

• Aki (You Only Live Twice)
  • Plenty O’Toole (Diamonds are Forever)

0 voters

• Andrea Anders (The Man with the Golden Gun)

0 voters

• Paris Carver (Tomorrow Never Dies)

0 voters

• General Moon (Die Another Day)

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

1 Like

Here’s my victim rankings:

1. Plenty O’Toole
  2. Paris Carver
  3. Andrea Anders
  4. Aki
  5. Gen. Moon

This was a tough one as each one is a true victim. However, my picks went thusly: Plenty gets the top spot because all she was doing was looking for a good time and just happened to get mixed up with the wrong guy and ultimately ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time–twice.

I went with Paris second because she is on the good side and helps Bond out but she married the wrong man.

Andrea gets the third spot. Like Severine, she is a victim of bad choices/circumstances and is attached to the villain. Don’t know if she was a bad girl that got trapped and wanted out or a good girl in a similar vein, but that ambiguity leaves her behind Paris.

As much as I like Aki, she gets the fourth spot since she is actively involved in the spy game. The previous three are, or could be, innocent bystanders, but Aki is not although her death is tragic.

Gen. Moon finishes fifth. While his story is sad, and he is the rightful victim in the film, he nevertheless has to take SOME measure of responsibility–though NOT most (that goes to his son)–for raising the villain.

1 Like

Aki is my personal favorite Bond Girl overall so this is a no brainer match for me.