Deathmatch 2024 - Sideswipes

For sake of argument the train chase gets cancelled.

Bond having such a good time in the BMW is a nice diversion, and Brozza sells it perfectly…Arnold’s music works, without the overreliance on the Bond theme that would become his unfortunate hallmark. Within the film it sits, it’s for my money the best action sequence of the lot (not a huge fan of the PTS or the bike chase).

That said the train sequence is hugely enjoyable, but depending where you start it and finish it - the shoot-out in the tunnel all the way to Bond arriving at the airbase? - then it does go on forever. EON back projection (a tradition I know) and while not as egregious as other examples through the series, arguably one too many “jokes.”

Plus a close-up too many of Sir Rog’s loafers. I know it’s Fleming, but as a lifelong laces man it’s just a bit of a turn-off for me…(LTK tanker chase I will exempt from this personal foible…)

6 Likes

The back-seat driving was by far my least favorite part of TND from the very first viewing. And the parking garage to rental office leap “car return” is a potentially murderous denouement that seems unbelievably irresponsible. I mean, innocent customers, innocent employees? Yet Bond just chuckles through it all.

3 Likes

Martin Grace broke his pelvis for that train sequence bye bye BMW

6 Likes

June 13

One of these has to be knocked out and be gone forever.

• GoldenEye - Bond and Trevelyan final fight
  • Skyfall - Bond and Patrice Shanghai fight
0 voters
2 Likes

What I like most about the Skyfall fight is that it does not go on and on and on like so many fight scenes these days. Combined with the elegant Deakins photography, it really works for me.

But the brutal fierceness of Pierce (couldn’t resist, sorry, Jim) in the GE scene is more involving and tells me the story about these two agents. So this one stays.

4 Likes

Pierceness, as it’s known. By some.

Or - The Ferocity of the Atrocity. By me.

2 Likes

It‘s like the thorn of Sean, the allure of Moore, the timelessness of Timothy or cracking Craig.

And Lazenby‘s… um… or George‘s… um…

2 Likes

The GOLDENEYE fight takes the dive. For me. And for no other reason than that it reminds me of the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK one and comes a lightsaber short. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

The litheness of Lazenby?
or
The physicality of Lazenby?
or
The athleticism of Lazenby?

For me, I think I’d go with the athleticism of Lazenby.

4 Likes

Watched GE recently, and found the fight to be the weakest element of the film as a whole too many platforms, the spike, all overkill imho.
So for me Skyfall stays

1 Like

The Guignol of George…
Because he is a kind of puppet figure

3 Likes

SF is thrown from the upper floors of a tall building.

While it’s the most beautifully shot fight of the series, I don’t find it particularly compelling from a pugilistic perspective - to be really harsh, it’s a couple of guys grappling in front of some colored lights.

GE stays because that duel is far more important - not so much within the film but the series. If memory serves, the only real tussle Brozza-Bond has had up to that point is a quick wrestle with Onatopp - so the Treveylan rumble is the latest in running-time terms of any debut film for the lead to prove he can “do it.” Up to that point it’s been a lot of running and jumping and firing and driving. Every Bond has to prove they can throw one and take one and by comparison, Laz had been in a major tussle prior to the credits, TD a head butt in the PTS, even Sir Rog (an underrated rumbler) had thrown around a fire escape before the half-hour mark.

The GE climax is a solid fight and for Brozza still his best.

4 Likes

This is a tough one, but for the opposite reason than usual: neither one of them means much to me. Given the enormous potential of the “Double-O vs Double-O” concept, I found the GE fight pretty underwhelming, and the finale – with Alec essentially being killed TWICE – was a harbinger of the sort of tiresome 90s action film excess yet to come in this era.

Meanwhile, the SF fight is shorter, which is a plus. It’s visually impressive with the swirling light patterns and what not, but as plankattack notes, the participants are in silhouette so it’s not always clear to me who’s who, and who’s winning (the first time, I only figured it out when Patrice ends up hanging off the ledge. Could just as easily have been Bond, for me). Also to get those fancy visuals, the action had to be shot mostly at medium range, which always dampens the visceral quality of a screen fight. It’s pretty, but not especially exciting.

In the end, I vote to save GE for the simple reason that it’s Pierce’s only hand-to-hand combat scene that stands out in my memory. Craig has plenty of good fights, let Pierce keep his one. Plus Patrice has the good form to actually die from a certain-death fall, unlike Alec or even Bond earlier in SF.

4 Likes

But for those who admireLazenby, wouldn’t it be Grand Guignol of George?

3 Likes

100% what I was going for,!

2 Likes

Yes, it is long, bordering on the tiresome. What the SF fight has going for it is that it is shorter and, excuse the pun, punchier, which IMHO is a series’ strength; FRWL, DAF, OHMSS hotel, TSWLM train et al, I enjoy for their “realism.” Even the SP brawl feels drawn out to me.

2 Likes

Well by “tiresome” I didn’t necessarily mean long – though it is – but that it’s part of the 90s trend where everything is overdone and logic be damned. The fight ends twice because one big ending isn’t enough. Bond gets a weighty line of dialog, Alec falls a great distance and…splat. That’s a satisfying resolution. But wait, there’s more! A ton of flaming wreckage impales him as we get a zoom in on his screaming mug. It’s a very 90s Action Film moment to me; excessive and ridiculous. It reminds me of the Simpsons action film parody where a horse crashes into a wall and then explodes. Sometimes more is less.

5 Likes

I forgot about that. Sums up the 90‘s perfectly indeed.

2 Likes

June 14.

Vote one out.
It might be a rout.
It doesn’t really matter
Whose dreams you shatter.

• The Spy who Loved Me - Jaws train fight
  • Spectre - Hinx train fight
0 voters
2 Likes

Easy. Hinx is barely in the film anyway, and he is a Jaws copy. And despite being the only action scene during that long eventless middle stretch (oh, no, could it really be that they put it in there for that reason? Shock!), SPECTRE should have excised every action sequence (none in that film is really impressive anyway - quite an achievement after decades of films which at least offer one genuinely thrilling action moment) and gone full gothic horror.

The TSWLM train sequence is less brutal but still frightening due to the monster in the cupboard and its hugeness compared to Bond and Anya, ending on a typical Bond moment when an idea tops brute force.

3 Likes