Favourite and Least Favourite Eon James Bond

I do think Connery remains the best.

I watched an old interview with him from the 1960s on YouTube last week. Paraphrasing from memory: he spoke about meeting Fleming and saying there needed to be a humour injection. That’s one of the biggest changes from the books and I’m glad Connery, Young and the studio went there.

I think the humour is the finishing touch that separates Bond from the rest and makes him magical. Fleming’s YOLT has a reputation for being introspective (which it is), but the original literary Bond is perhaps at his most flippant during that story. The Connery films most definitely played a part.

4 Likes
  1. Tim Dalton(the underrated Bond)
  2. Sean Connery(the original Bond)
  3. Roger Moore(the fun Bond)
  4. George Lazenby(the Aussie Bond)
  5. Dan Craig(the physical Bond)
  6. Pierce Brosnan(the superslick Bond)

My favorite actor to assume the roll shifts more than the trade winds, basically. But, man… It’s hard not to solidly go with Roger Moore.

I don’t have a least favorite, so I went with my least-watched actor defaulting to Timothy Dalton. Big fan of The Living Daylights, though.

2 Likes

Since I was introduced to Bond by Sir Roger‘s portrayal, Dalton was my first new Bond - and I immediately loved him for doing his thing. After him I was happy for Brosnan to step in since I had seen him in LIVE WIRE and REMINGTON STEELE and considered him my first choice for the next Bond. Only Craig was someone I had to warm to.

1 Like

My fav will always be Rog and his acceptance of the absurd nature of his films but I have to agree that Connery is what made Bond more than just another 60s thriller. Pierce was always a touch try hard imo: being Bond should be effortless.

1 Like

UA wanted Brosnan because it would be effortless for audiences to accept him.

3 Likes

Oh, looks like someone came up with a novel idea:

4 Likes

Craig - humanised the character and has a Brando quality about him, plus I love his clothes
Connery - amazing but he’s number 2 for his petulant non performance in YOLT. Though ask me again tomorrow and they may be flipped.
Dalton - such a jolt to my 11 year old self in the cinema, Bond was dangerous and energetic and like the books I was reading.
Moore - although for sure his are the movies I watch most…take from that what you will.
Lazenby - my favourite Bond film but he really should have been helped more to make the performance more than an impersonation of Connery

Brosnan - wasted opportunity

3 Likes