With a Mind to Kill out in May 2022

I have the book but haven’t gotten around to reading it just yet. I’ve been preoccupied by playing God of War!

I downloaded it on my kindle and will start tonight!

1 Like

German Amazon is shipping my copy on June 8th. Not really sure why the delay, though every time I order on Amazon.de, which theoretically services Poland, something goes wrong. If I knew I’d have ordered it on eBay.
Anyway I envy all you who got their copies by now. I’m looking forward to reading it even though I’m not a fan of Trigger Mortis.

Trigger Mortis isnt my favorite. I dont like Pussy Galore being in it for no reason. Though I like it more than Solo and Devil May Care.

I guess I’m the only person who actually likes Solo. Moreover, I consider it the best of post-Raymond Benson continuation novels. Sure, it has it flaws, but I really enjoyed reading it. Better than Carte Blanche and much, much better than Devil May Care.

A sentence to only use on this forum when you’re among friends, just sayin’…

I think I got the point.

1 Like

3 Likes

The first two chapters are pretty good, I must say. Despite the prequel-gimmick (which I do not need) Horowitz writes very Fleming-like and gets the characters right.

Looking forward to go on reading this.

1 Like

I’ve found he makes good use of the prequel gimmick, certainly as he goes on to look at Bond’s psyche and, as you’ve seen with chapter 2 with why the second assassination hit him harder than the first, have a look at things Fleming mentioned in passing.

I’m definitely enjoy it more than Trigger Mortis at the same point (36% in according to Kindle) and I’m yet to have a moment where I have to force my way through a chapter, something I couldn’t say about the rest of these guest author continuations.

2 Likes

I’ve just started reading - I’m up to chapter 7. What a pleasurable read. The early indication for me is that Horowitz has delivered another fine novel. Looking forward to reading more.

I had no problem with Solo. I enjoyed it more the second time I went through it, found it’s different tone and take on Bond to be an interesting change. I’d probably place CB as my least favourite of the post-Benson novels.

Just finished the book in one long second sitting. I had to keep going. Horowitz is the real deal. He does it all so effortlessly. Sixtine is one of the best Bond women ever, so I have no problem with certain trademarks originating from her. It’s poignant and gives things a greater sense of depth. It works, and for me, her character is what makes this a special Bond story. I definitely recommend it.

3 Likes

FYI: Horowitz notes in the acknowledgements that the chapter Russian Roulette is based on original material of Fleming’s for an American TV show that didn’t happen.

Reviews

“Straight away Horowitz is able to capture Fleming’s flowing style and intricate details from how Bond likes his eggs in the morning to the cars he drives and colourful characters he interacts with. […] Meanwhile the author’s writing style has a simpler vocabulary to Fleming’s sometimes pretentious over-descriptions, while remaining loyal to the original tone.”

[The Scotsman review contains some SPOILERS.] “[Horowitz] is a thorough professional, and this New Bond is up there with the better Old [Fleming] Bonds. […] It’s all great fun, and Horowitz has done splendidly; best of all he keeps Bond where he belongs, in the Fifties.”

“[…] highly enjoyable caper […] a succession of satisfying set-pieces.”

1 Like

Some observations:

Summary

It makes me wonder who really classifies as the ‘true’ villain of FAAD. I don’t think there is one. And I like that, actually. All three of the bad guys play their part in the scheme.

Having the story set in one location helped.

I picked up on several ‘Easter eggs’ to other novels. They weren’t too on the nose either. The garden of death, and the spikes which derail their vehicle for example.

I never felt bored while reading. Each chapter had something interesting to hook me in.

As I said before, Sixtine is the star of the show here. Her death actually hit me quite similarly to Tracy in OHMSS, which is a grand achievement. I knew it was coming, and I wanted it to come as well. The Titanic style finale for her was a touching way for her to go. There’s something so haunting about someone sinking out of sight into the dark depths, knowing how so full of life they had been. We can only hold on to the memories.

As I said earlier, she was so fantastically realised, and Bond’s developmental arc with her was so satisfying, that I’m glad she lives on through the “shaken not stirred” line, and the cigarette lighter.

Bond has certainly been through the emotional ringer, even before he meets up with Vesper. The Fleming content was worked in seamlessly. I don’t consider the Monte Carlo incident as recounted by Bond to be his ‘first mission’, either. I liked how Horowitz highlighted gambling - how people were losing large sums of money at the tables and getting into trouble, foreshadowing what would come with Le Chiffre.

The torture on the boat was pretty rough. I liked how it momentarily made Bond think of himself as an unstoppable Superman…perhaps how the cinematic version is depicted as at times. Or how he’s viewed by the cinema going public. I think that was the intention. As we know, Bond is deeper and more conflicted than that.

It’s a loose prequel, but I’m happy to consider this canon. It’s subtle enough to give CR added meaning, but it also works fine as a standalone story. I’m not sure if I prefer TM or FAAD, but in any case, they’re both solid. Which is a great thing to say after being disappointed with other continuation novels.

Aaaaaaand I thought we were supposed to use spoiler tags :worried:

Sorry, didn’t see that comment by Dustin. I thought the SPOILERS! BEWARE! heading would’ve sufficed.

In any case I’ve edited the post.

One of the reviews indicated that a character introduces Bond to Morland Specials. Fleming indicates in THUNDERBALL that Bond smoked Morlands “since his teens.”
I’m not sure I like the idea that M never met Bond personally before 00 status
Waiting for my copy to arrive from Waterstones,ordered in such a hurry I didn’t notice autographed editions for sale.
I suppose the John Pearson comparsions are inevitable

Finished this a few days ago but havn’t got round to posting my thoughts (he says like anyone gives a toss - but hey, I made the thread so I should comment)

Easily the strongest of the “guest author” continuations, Horowitz seems much more comfortable writing the character this time around now he knows which aspects of Flemings books he wants to use, becoming an interesting examination of why Bond in the original books tries to avoid introspection when he can.

The (much less touted this time) use of Fleming materIial, which makes up the chapter “Russian Roulette” according to Horrowitz afterword, fits in far more comfortably to the narrative than the race in Trigger Mortis does, to the point you wouldn’t know which part it was if Horrowitz didn’t say.

Madame 16 makes for a MUCH stronger female lead than the her predecessors from these books, being thoroughly engaging and the early play of whether or not to trust her is brilliantly done.

Finally, i refer to what I said earlier

Having finished the book, there was no moment that I had to force my way through, quite the contrary, I found that this book was a joy to read from beginning to end. From the bedroom murder he couldn’t handle to the bedroom murder he felt nothing.

As a side note - I loved the finer details, things that only a fan would appreciate, such as Madame 16 suggesting Bond’s as of yet unnamed Martini should be shaken and not stirred leading to Bond thinking about the difference between why Fleming said to shake Martinis and why you ACTUALLY shake Martinis, or the club named for one of Fleming’s early considerations for Goldeneye.

3 Likes

Nicely done. I’ve just finished my second read and will get to a proper review by the weekend or before. I will say it was just as enjoyable a read the second time through.

2 Likes