Future Bond Directors

Without doubt if Craig were returning. But since he’s not I doubt he’ll do more than put in a good word. More’s the pity - a Craig/Johnson Bond would be a treat.

Even without Craig - Rian Johnson would be a fantastic choice.

3 Likes

Indeed he would be

“Hey Rian do you wanna take a break from people with a sense of entitlement and ZERO sense proportion who’ve been attacking you personally for 2 years, to come make a Bond film?

Oh hey Sam…what you been up to since Spectre?”

2 Likes

What I also like about Johnson is that he is realistic about these fans being just very loud but small in numbers.

3 Likes

Yes, he does get that loud people on twitter arn’t real people in terms of reacting to films. Just occurred that Bond, like Star Wars, seems to attract that fan on social media.

1 Like

It’s a real shame, because as a lifelong Star Wars fan, I consider TLJ a masterpiece. But maybe I should stay closeted about that one…

Rian Johnson would do a fantastic job with Bond.

3 Likes

Are they really fans? The majority of people are Bond fans because they like the inconcistensies, the change and the absurdities of the world of 007, since Connery gave us, the audience a wink that we were in on the joke, ‘Hey folks I don’t believe any of this old tosh either, but it’s great fun’
Other fans have a higher proportion of individuals who are so invested in the make believe that on some level it’s real. They therefore feel vocal in critiscm. The same Bond “fans” as described above surely don’t have that excuse and seem to use the Bond platform for their own mysogonistic and often racist worldview.

4 Likes

Rogue One and The Last Jedi , I think are as good as the original trilogy but maybe I should also not mention that too loudly

3 Likes

Rian’s proven he’s not afraid to mess with expectations; TLJ had me as soon as Luke tossed the precious lightsabre.

Has his TLJ experience changed that? Would he now do a very traditional Bond movie after suffering the smite of the web-twats?

I doubt it - he’d probably be just as ballsy and that’s why i’d look forward to his Bond; even a surprise i don’t like is better that none at all when it comes to the diminishing returns of long running franchises.

Could he be bothered going through all of that again when he could be having fun making movies without caveat? Probably not.

1 Like

Well, he says that attitude he received from a small group inspired Knives Out; a film that is against the grain for every assumption and expectation.

1 Like

So do I. The reviews say we are actually the majority, it’s just the guy who loved the expanded universe books won’t stop whinging.

Then perhaps we should want him to do a radical Bond so as to suffer the fan-flack in order to inspire him to make another Knives Out-esque reactionary blast :wink:

2 Likes

If Knives Out is as good as it looks, and as good as those who saw it at TIFF say, yes! Absolutely yes!!

This.

I think Last Jedi gets unfairly criticized somewhat because people feel as if their childhood was robbed. A similar thing happened with the prequels (“George Lucas defiles your childhood all over again.”–Honest Trailer.) Being a franchise that’s targeted more at adults, many of us come to Bond later in life with a bit more maturity and perspective. And being past 50 certainly helped me identify with Luke’s disillusionment over the shattering of his belief system. The Avengers went through a similar thing after Infinity War.

Imagine Bond tossing his PPK over his shoulder or turning away a martini–wait a minute, “Do I look like a give a damn”, “out of bullets” … oh yeah, right.

3 Likes

And really, no film can rob one‘s childhood. At best it can open one‘s eyes about one‘s stubborn refusal to grow up.

5 Likes

Thinking about it some more. I’d also be up for seeing Justin Kurzel direct Bond 26. He directed the 2015 version of Macbeth, my favourite adaptation of the original story, Assassin’s Creed, which was quite bad to be honest but I put that more on the difficulty of adapting those video games, and he directed True History of the Kelly Gang, which I’m yet to see…

…but he has worked with Callum Turner, who played a small role in Assassin’s Creed, so maybe he could be his James Bond, and if they can get Adam Arkapaw to be the cinematographer that would great also. He did both Macbeth and Assassin’s Creed.

2 Likes

Interesting suggestion! He’s certainly worth a meeting with BB imo!

I haven’t seen his Macbeth, but have been meaning to. The style and approach were very appealing in the trailer and Fassbender always adds something.

Your right that Assassin’s Creed was bad - downright awful! But i notice that on his follow up, The Kelly Gang he’s taken a Producer credit for the first time (apart from a short). To me that suggests he had a bad experience on Creed and it wasn’t the film he wanted to make, so he wanted more control.

Kelly Gang looks looks very good! There’s definitely a highly artistic leaning in his work (Creed aside) and for me that’s a plus for a Bond director.

His next movie, The Siege is about a terrorist at the Taj Mahal. And in Oct 2017 he was apparently prepping Ruin which has a superb premise about a Nazi hunting down other Nazis post war! Such a great idea i wish i’d thought of it. So it seems as though he’s got a taste for thrillers and action.

If these movies work out far better than Creed, then he’s surely going to pop up on the BB radar.

Thanks for reminding me to watch Macbeth :+1:

1 Like

I love him as a director, and Assassins Creed does display moments of brilliant direction (even if studio inference flaps itself on the table many, many, times) so I’d be very keen for him to direct Bond. There’s a reason that so many of his A-list cast from Macbeth (an incredible film) followed him to Assassin’s creed.

2 Likes

Do we believe this or not?