M'aidez - a game for May

Neither have I. Maybe it‘s the ersatz-scar for the cheek?

1 Like

Y’know what…

Given that we’ve just seen that remarkably lifelike James Bond masks exist (sophisticated enough to cover up a moustache), that this a) confirms that Sylvia knows every inch of his body and b) is confirmation of identity for Tatiana… I’m buying it.

3 Likes

Face masks… Those could also explain the disappearing mole on Bond´s cheek in AVTAK!

Crossover with Mission: Impossible?

Oh, these expanded universes… EON was the trendsetter after all!

1 Like

Other than a bit of a weekend break for Llewelyn, there is no point and if it was for that bloody joke then really no point. Seems he may have been John Glens mascot as he does use him a LOT.
Think about Q, for example, not being in India and Vijay being the Indian Q, coming to the rescue in a hot air balloon. Or out of TLD all together… Then his appearance coming out of the field in LTK is more resonant also while I’m at it, Moneypenny should be in the field too instead of crying in Whitehall

1 Like

Sylvia: [Spying a scar on Bond’s back] Souvenir from another jealous woman?
Bond: Yes. But I haven’t turned my back on one since.

I’ve never given it much thought but It does feel like it ties in thematically with the story. Bond says that has a scar from turning his back on a woman before being sent to make contact with a woman who may or may not be honest about her motives.
There’s also the idea that Sylvia was originally intended to stick around beyond beyond FRWL. Maybe a future love interest would have taken another swipe at Bond as result of being jealous of her?

4 Likes

You gotta have Q. No matter whether it´s plausible.

Plausible left the room when Q entered it in Thunderball - why is the head of section going to the Bahamas?

1 Like

Hey, when the department pays you go…

4 Likes

Since Sylvia’s the first to mention it, and since she’s making her second appearance after Dr No, and since the good doctor himself is namechecked later in the film, my inclination was always to interpret this as a reference to the earlier film. However, there’s really nothing there to account for the injury, unless Bond was stabbed by No’s goons when they jumped him in the dining room.

But I still think Sylvia is the key. She and Bond have been intimate before, possibly on a regular basis over the last year (the original intent was to make her Bond’s “steady” back in England). The fact that she’s just now noticing the scar – which almost seems to still have stitches (?) suggests it’s a fairly recent injury. If so, then when Tania looks for it later, it’s to let us know that Smersh/SPECTRE is extremely well-informed, with up-to-the-minute data.

Or, I suppose, maybe they just know because it was SPECTRE that gave him the scar.

I also don’t really think the injury was inflicted by another woman. That’s just banter in the vein of “Remember, we agreed we’re not going to talk about what I do for a living.”

3 Likes

Indeed, why crush the car at all? Just take Solo round back and pop him. Turn him into horse food.

2 Likes

God yes. I thought exactly this in the cinema when I first watched it. Indeed, the moving of the image of the numbers that then get ‘calculated’ was another weirdness that, granted prob’ly would work now but in 1999?

1 Like

Aside from the fun of the scene, Blofeld knew Bond was going to be at the party because of someone ostensibly working for Safin, Logan Ash. Logan Ash is the chap who informs the scientist, who is ostensibly working for Blofeld. How would a scientist be aware of Bond’s movements sufficiently for Blofeld to concoct a whole plan for Bond’s death, and would not Blofeld have been suspicious of that knowledge?

1 Like

There’s a bit of wiggle room in that Goldfinger is aware he’s under surveillance but, yes, there were probably easier methods.

Edit: edited because I only just noticed my auto-correct changed were to we’re - proof readers are under appreciated.

1 Like

Or… Q branch supplied him with this scar to scare off Sylvia. „We can give you a scar, 007, or a third nipple. Your choice.“

3 Likes

I don’t know, I think if there’s one thing Bond’s better at than attracting females, it’s ditching them.

But the nipple would’ve been scarier. Assuming one could see it under that bearskin rug on his torso.

3 Likes

Damn. That’s why Connery could not star in TMWTGG.

3 Likes

Nor Roger in YOLT.

3 Likes

Hmm, Roger as a Japanese fisherman…

2 Likes

Salmon Templar?

7 Likes

Oddjob secretly hates Goldfinger and acts out by leaving the gold in. Goldfinger has enough and does not care, thereby stoking the fire between them.

Or: Oddjob is making a statement - money or gold do not matter to him, only squeezing golfballs or watching cars being pressed into neat packages.

As for Smithers: blimey indeed. Although, looking in my mirror: when did I ever look better than Sean Connery?

2 Likes