M'aidez - a game for May

That’s the way I read it, the go on the rampage, like Badlands but with metal teeth

3 Likes

Yes disgusting! also there appears not to be any soap or cleaning material aside from shaving stuff. Very puritanical and a far cry from ConneryBond’s bath two years earlier. and aerosol aftershave … vile.

2 Likes

This is the interesting debate that opens up when we give depth to cartoon characters. Does Jaws enjoy killing or is he just about the money? It seems to be a bit of both. He’s happy to keep working for Drax even with Dolly by his side. It’s not like his personality drastically changes upon meeting her. It’s the threat against Dolly that causes his embrace of love. But how long does that last?

How does someone like Jaws live and receive an honest income in polite society, rather than the underworld? Perhaps Dolly dies and Jaws returns to work, as seen during the events of 2004’s Everything or Nothing. Bond and Jaws don’t have a falling out - they’re just naturally opposed to each other given their respective employers and individual circumstance.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Maybe he put his skills to use helping people, think The Equalizer but with Jaws.

Dear Amazon,
If you’re looking for spin-off ideas then please get in touch, everything is for sale!

4 Likes

Madonna/Verity in DAD.

Assaults our ears with a godawful song, follows it up with a gratuitous and unwanted cameo and starts everyone trying to out-cringe each other with a parade of “double entendres” too unsubtle to really be called “double.”

And she gets away scot free.

4 Likes

I‘m shocked!

I would have testified before a Grand Jury that she wore braces and that this was the big joke of the scene!

Wait a minute. Did Sean Connery really play Bond or did I imagine that, too?

1 Like

It was Barry Niven wasn’t it?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The whole Dolly’s braces/Mandela effect thing is is one of the strangest things ever. I will go to my grave swearing I saw her in braces…

2 Likes

Jaws goes to henchman rehab, does the Oprah interview, and then gets his own series on Netflix.

4 Likes

He also has a future in politics.

2 Likes

The waxwork is supposedly something Scaramanga likes to look at during training in order to feel challenged by „the world’s best secret agent“ and at the same time feel superior to. Hence his cavalier treatment of it, shooting off the fingers.

Since Bond has no interest in staying unknown he loves to create mayhem and destruction, assuring plenty of newspaper coverage which his superiors desperately try to keep from mentioning his name and occupation. But his enemies know. His waxwork therefore is one of the biggest selling items in Bond‘s online shop. He even has to change his looks from time to time in order to create demand for new waxworks. The older become pricey collector’s items.

5 Likes

If Scaramanga bought it at the 007 Store, no wonder he now has to - sadly, but wholesale waxwork prices have gone up - charge $1m per shot. Cost of living/dying crisis, etc., have to pass it on to the customer.

5 Likes
  1. The Man with the Golden Gun: That waxwork of Bond. Given that Scaramanga says halfway through that he has no beef with Bond, why is this here other than to give the funhouse labrats a shock? This assumes all of them would know who Bond was.

The whole shooting gallery is filled with waxworks of notables from the world of gunplay, like Al Capone and some Old West gunfighter or other (maybe he’s supposed to be Wyatt Earp. It doesn’t look like him, but then “Al” doesn’t look much like Capone, either).

I think all the figures are more for Scaramanga’s amusement than to impress or intimidate visitors. It doesn’t matter if his victims recognize any of the figures, just so long as they’re properly disoriented by them. And if they empty their guns in panic firing at statues, then all the better.

Is this film the best/worst example of Bond not being a very-secret secret agent (from England!)? Most of the characters seem to know who he is. No wonder M’s so very cross.

I don’t think most characters in TMWTGG do know who he is. JW knows him because they have a history and it’s only been a year since they last crossed paths (he’s probably been fuming about it ever since). Scaramanga is fixated on him because he’s “competition” in the “world’s most feared gunman” department. Goodnight knows him from work and Andrea knows him because Scaramanga keeps talking about him (and she’s pinned her hopes on him).

Roger’s Bond, like his Saint, is as “famous” or anonymous as he needs to be depending on the script. Drax says his “reputation precedes him of course,” but that’s likely because he’s been notified Bond is on the way, and has had him investigated, or maybe it’s simply because MI-6 said “we’re sending our best man.” Stromberg seems to know him right away (even if “Mr Sterling” does know a Pterois Volitans when he sees one) but he is after all a supervillain with connections.

By far the “best/worst example of Bond not being a very-secret secret agent” is DAF, where Tiffany Case reacts to seeing his name on a Playboy Club card as if he were a Beatle, or J Edgar Hoover. I’m all for members of rival agencies knowing Bond’s reputation (though they should also know his face) but Tiff is a diamond smuggler, not a spy. There’s no good reason she should be in awe of the name “James Bond” unless James Bond movies are a big deal in her universe. Or maybe “James Bond” is some kind of urban legend like Sasquatch: “Did you hear? James Bond saved the world from a supervillain living in a volcano! James Bond saved the entire gold reserve in Fort Knox from radioactive contamination! James Bond stopped a global criminal organization from setting off stolen A-bombs!” It does sound like the kind of kooky rumors that rule in the internet age; the fact that we weren’t all killed by madmen in volcanoes, ruined economies or atomic detonation is proof that those stories all really happened, right?

Or maybe it’s because she’s a woman and the word has spread throughout the female population of Earth: James Bond is the greatest lay you’ll ever have, if you don’t mind the statistical likelihood of dying within 24 hours of hooking up. So she hasn’t heard of him in a professional capacity, but like any woman she’s keeping one eye open for him as a paramour.

5 Likes

As for future references in Bond films feeding on nostalgia: I would love to hear a woman saying „Oh, is this the famous Sir Hilary Bray?“

2 Likes

Has to be there as reference to Bonds mortality, forgotten in GF because he is essentially Superman. Then brought back in Thunderball ( rebooted if you will ) and given its own origin story, just for that pay off joke " he didn’t like me at all"
Scar, from humanising feature to prop for a joke in 3 films.

Robert Carlyles’ acting is definitely suspect. Medically I suspect someone in that condition would be … Dead?, therefore unable to walk.

2 Likes

Greed isn’t good after all. At least not for dumb dictator-wannabes.

4 Likes

Here’s how it breaks down:

Day 1: With the capture of HMS Ranger, Stromberg has the missiles he needs, and orders the Liparus to proceed to the launch point.

Day 2, morning: Still en route to the launch point, Stromberg learns of the betrayal of his secretary and feeds her to a shark.

Day 2, evening: Something about the secretary’s death has nagged at Stromberg’s mind all day. Ruminating on his plans one last time, he finally realizes his one crucial oversight: he has forgotten to bring any women to Atlantis to start his “glorious new world benease da sea.” He will need time to think about this.

Day 3, 9AM: Naomi walks in the room and Stromberg realizes things will be okay. Tentative plans begin forming to kidnap females from a passing cruise ship, but if nothing else at least Stromberg has Naomi for himself.

Day 3, 1PM: Bond kills Naomi

Day 4: USS Wayne captured with Anya aboard. That’s good enough, screw the rest of the crew. Launch missiles.

7 Likes

Not “already” two submarines, it’s “only” two.
Once the plans for an underwater life and civilization come into effect, there’ll be a certain need for means for underwater transport, and those mini-submarines just wont suffice for transporting entire crews or supplies etc. to and fro. And once Washington and Moscow have ceased to exist, it probably won’t be that easy to simply snatch those submarines off the ocean by use of the Liparus because they’re all on alert.

I must confess: a plan not entirely thought through. When the attack starts, there are three submarines, but space for only two of them in the Liparus, so there should have been built one or two more vessels of that kind in the first place. If the first two succeed and return, there might be the necessity to park one of them outside - for the seagulls to defecate on it. And there’ll be loads of banter between crews and captains about which one is going to be on the losing end.

Back to the drawing board…

6 Likes