Mission: Impossible 7 & 8 (2023/2024)

Sir Roger always looks good.

2 Likes

I stand corrected👏 A more deserving Sir, I couldn’t imagine!

1 Like

I wonder how this film and its successor actually were constructed.

At first they were supposed to be filmed back to back, as I understand. Then the pandemic impacted the filming of part one, the press tour for Maverick created additional scheduling problems, then it was reported that there was a hiatus between filming both parts. Also, Cruise and McQ were reportedly strategizing when dealing with the studio, claiming they were stil filming 1 when maybe they already were filming 2. Now it seems Cruise is hard at work filming 2 but test screenings for 1 point to an unusually long film (maybe they will cut scenes from 1 which always were meant to be in 2?). How long will 2 go on shooting?

And hey, is it true that Cruise skipped the Oscars because he felt betrayed by his friend Jimmy Kimmel who was rumoured to have brought in Judd Apatow for working on his hosting jokes (when Kimmel only regularly sends his jokes around for feedback, not actual rewrites) after Apatow had made fun of Cruise at another award show?

One of the writers confirmed they had 3 minutes worth of Tom Cruise jokes lined up for him to sit through and his ex-wife was going to be there. He ended up going to Michael Cane’s 90th birthday party instead. I can’t blame the man for the choice, honestly…

4 Likes
4 Likes

With all the calls backs to the first film I hope McQuarrie is going to retcon making Jim Phelps the bad guy. I don’t like the James Bond codename theory but I think you could apply it to M:I and simply make Jim Phelps a code name that was used by various team leaders and make Peter Graves and Jon Voight two separate characters.

Improbable but not, impossible.

1 Like

E met go?

It worked for Skyfall…

1 Like

Nice to know Bond is still leading trends.

3 Likes

Let’s go!

8 Likes

And new poster.

6 Likes

Wow… just wow

Looks good and I’m glad we still dont know what the story really is.

1 Like

That’s what the movie is for.

How I loved those days when a trailer only had hints or was provocative by being confusing.

4 Likes

The trailer is exactly what I expected: great. Not too long to go, now. I’ll be booking my ticket at the earliest opportunity.

2 Likes

It took them 5 films and many attempts, but now actually have a recurring team!

4 Likes

I’ve always felt that Tom Cruise tried to turn Mission: Impossible into his own version of James Bond. This is most apparent with M:I-2. He essentially works solo for the majority of the film, Luther is there but is little more than a cameo, the main villain is 006, he seduces/romances the lead actress and even gets his orders from M, I mean Anthony Hopkins.

Its the worst film in the series and feels the most unlike Mission: Impossible. Thankfully they started course correcting with the third film by putting more emphasis on the ensemble as they’ve continued making more films. Cruise still gets to do the big stunts and be team leader but other characters/actors get to shine too, especially Rebecca Ferguson who has been a real find and a wonderful addition to the series.

Christopher McQuarrie has also really done wonders with the series and by focusing more on the ensemble and leaning into what makes Mission: Impossible unique from Bond and other spy series they’re able to rival Bond on their own terms instead of trying to be an American James Bond. Similar to what happen with Jason Bourne.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the series when Cruise retires. Do they reboot, carry on with a new star, let Ferguson be team leader, go back to television? Bond is currently at a crossroad and M:I will be after next summer so who knows what will happen. All that I know is that I like having an M:I movie to watch while I wait for the next Bond film.

8 Likes

Someone (who I think is, or was, a member here) made a YouTube video that said James Bond has a Tom Cruise problem, tbh Tom Cruise is going to be a problem for Mission Impossible, he is so much in trenched in this series that he is going to be impossible (pun not intended, just unavoidable) to replace when he inevitably has to stop.

3 Likes

Cruise doing insane stunts for real is the main marketing tool for these films.

Without that, it will be just another spy movie franchise.

And who will be crazy enough to endanger their lives?

2 Likes