Mission: Impossible 7 & 8 (2023/2024)

5 Likes

Very pleased to have this confirmed, because sheā€™s one of the best components of the recent MI films.

Yup, splendid.

I wonder what comes first, the story or the characters? Either way it appears Mr McQuarrie is forging ahead.

Story. Then swear loudly when that actor isnā€™t available - as has been the story of Mission Impossible movies bts

Hast it? Must admit, am not aware.

The only story am aware of is Rennerā€™s unavailability for the last one because of some Marvel (?) filming which, ultimately, he was cut out of.

Which must have been a wrenchā€¦!

Itā€™s simple things like originally his wife in mi3 was Newtonā€™s character from 2 very early (like pre JJ early) on in pre-production, but Newtonā€™s unavailability led to them going in totally different direct, Maggie Q was meant to be the agent with Bengie in 4, the Jane Carter was meant to recur into Rogue Nation and finally, Avengers 3&4 was filmed at the same time as Fallout, but because McQuarrie couldnā€™t give precise filming dates due to rewrites, Renner couldnā€™t comit. I think they never wanted ā€œa Hunt girlā€ in regards to female leads, which probably made the consistent unavailability of lead actresses infuriatingā€¦and I do note Ferguson was the first actor signed for Fallout and now these 2ā€¦

Interesting. Thanks for that.

Interesting. I trust McQuarrie and Cruise completely.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/mcquarrie-talks-mi-7-mi-8-nerves/

1 Like

How did I not know this? Thatā€™s fantastic news.

2 Likes

More casting news:

7 Likes

With release dates in July 2021 and the years after, they must be about ready to start filming?

Has anyone seen any film start dates?

Needless to say, completely looking forward to these films.

2 Likes

No sign of filming start dates that I know of, my guess is probably after Top Gun: Maverick comes out in June, when Tom will no doubt be very busy with premieres and such. Probably filming will start in the fall? It is great that once we get No Time To Die in a couple of months, weā€™ll have MI7 and MI8 to anticipate and keep us occupied until EON snags Bond #7 and announces Bond 26.

2 Likes

Apparently Rome in Marchā€¦ Light the fuse.

4 Likes

Ooh! Thatā€™s good news indeed. :sunglasses:

Edit: Found a link and it looks like Simon Pegg is confirming heā€™ll be back as Benji Dunn.

5 Likes

All good things to look forward too. I do wonder when Tom Cruise will hang it up and if either the franchise will die out, reboot, or continue with a new actor and character.

1 Like

I believe that Cruise will take on a mentor role (while remaining as producer/shepherd) who stays involved, but not as the primary agent on missions, but will pass the torch to another actor. I have wondered if Rebecca Ferguson is being groomed for that role with an even stronger team-dynamic approach.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be cool with that. For awhile, it seemed like Jeremy Renner was going to be the one to take over. Then, the Avengers happenedā€¦

1 Like

I canā€™t really see Cruise step away anytime soon. And since he seems to have that picture in his attic he will be fit and young for ages to comeā€¦

4 Likes

I agree with all of that! I should have said I believe Cruise will eventually take on a mentor roleā€¦ Heā€™s not stepping aside anytime soon and will clearly be the lead for the next 2 films in production.

2 Likes

I think that eventually, once Cruise finally does reach the age where his too old to be doing his old stunts, heā€™ll bow out of the series. Maybe have Ethan Hunt retire for good whilst the character will be referred to in future installments.

2 Likes