Movies: 2018 and Beyond

3D?!

I’m pretty surprised by that! DV hasn’t struck me as a director interested in 3D. Well he’s certainly interested in visuals, so it’s entirely possible that he wants a fling with this added dimension. Better that than the studio foisting it upon him.

However, i’d guess the latter is likelier. If so can he simply shoot his own 2D movie the way he wants it and let the studio worry about the conversion. Or does will the studio interfere with his shot selection/camera positioning because of the 3D conversion they want to do afterward?

I know Roger Deakins is in great demand, but could it be possible that the 3D aspect put him off doing Dune (Deakins is not a fan of 3D). What a shame if that were the case.

Having seen a few 3D movies i now avoid them at all costs.

First bit of Ghostbusters 3 casting news

Can’t wait to see Captain Marvel this weekend. Brie Larson is one of my favorite actresses and it should be an exciting set up for Avengers: Endgame.

Currently it sits at 80% on rotten tomatoes and 64 on Metacritic. The film has unfortunately been getting review-bombed by online trolls as thousands of 0 star ratings were uploaded prior to the film’s release. This has unfortunately continued post-release it appears. Granted, not having yet seen the film, I can’t comment on its quality, but a number of the poor ratings on rottentomatoes/metacritic all seem to have similar “criticisms”: Brie Larson is bad, action is bad, Nick Fury is good. It definitely seems like misogynists decrying a film for featuring a female in the lead. This is further evidenced by the sheer number of reviews the film has in just 3 days of release: > 55,000 (50,000 were also removed by rotten tomatoes). Avengers: Infinity War has about 53,000 and its been out for almost a full year.

The trolls are often loud but they never win. CAPTAIN MARVEL was a huge winner around the world at the Box Office last weekend.

Trolls are not the deciding part of an audience. Thankfully so.

Very true its just sad to see it still going on.

The boys and I really enjoyed it!, The last few Marvel’s from Ragnarok on have been a really high standard, I thought Larson is capable of carrying the franchise in place of Downey Jr.

Saw Captain Marvel over the weekend. (No spoilers below).

It is slow to start and a bit confusing until you see how the narrative was structured towards the end. Very good though overall, it’s nice to see Samuel L Jackson get a lot of screen-time in a Marvel film for once. The de-ageing job they did on his face looks incredible!

I enjoyed all the 90s throw-backs too- Game Boys, pin ball machines, dial-up modems, pagers, Blockbuster Video and cd-roms. Cracking soundtrack.

I thought Larson was great, too. Her and Jackson have great on-screen chemistry, and I liked how things link to the end of Avengers: Infinity War.

Recommended.

7/10

Saw it twice already. Posted review over in “What movie have you seen lately?” thread. Good stuff.

2 great trailers in one day…

Tarantino’s is more of a teaser, but it looks fun - particularly the Bruce Lee sequence.

The Stranger Things trailer is absolutely fantastic. Really looking forward to another slice of 80s genre mash-up.