Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

It works for the first 2 stories but when it gets out of Themyscira‘s magical history, which is from story 3 onwards if memory serves, Wonder Woman being there is blatantly an excuse to put her on the cover, with James Tynion IV having to find reasons to keep her out of the main story because she could fix too much with her canonic powers.

I know this is responding to a post from a month ago, but I remembered it because we had a conversation about this film, you being so pro, me thinking meh, so when this reference to Christopher Reeve came up at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths, I immediately remembered our conversation…

and all 5 parts had many, MANY, references to Donner’s film.

I should say this isn’t tagged on the actual convo purely because I couldn’t find it.

3 Likes

That gif alone makes me smile.

1 Like
2 Likes

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: Heroes and Violence and Lawlessness - and Bond?

Quite looking forward to this - a Sorkin script with a hugely impressive cast.

2 Likes

Mod note: topic split

1 Like

It might be good that Amy Pascal has not got anything more to do with Bond:

Pascal’s response WREAKS of being via her lawyers - “apologise” without admitting it’s true.

Rogue’s writer sounds petty.

1 Like

Word is the film will focus greatly on the Bruce/Alfred dynamic, which is excellent news as far as I am concerned. That’s the real heart and soul of the Batman universe. Here’s hoping for a hardboiled detective thriller.

2 Likes

So after 5 years of Gotham we’re getting another TV series about the GCP in a pre-Batman Gotham City?

The prequel bit hasn’t actually been said by HBOMax…but yeah

Reading through the article, it doesn’t necessarily say that it’s set before the The Batman.

If anything, I think the appeal would be that it would be set during the run of films that are coming. I think a flaw of Gotham is that it didn’t trade off on the idea that the increased, let’s called it “theatricality”, of the villains came as a response to Batman himself. In that series, you have younger versions of the Joker, Bane, Riddler, Penguin, and so on doing their thing in Gotham with no Batman. This series could be an opportunity to see how things become stranger and, in some ways, worse in Gotham as a result of the arrival of Batman.

2 Likes

Seems to me like the hen/egg problem: with the supervillain we automatically need the superhero and vice versa. I haven’t watched Gotham so I can’t judge that. But if we basically start out with a ‘normal’ world there has to be a point when people start dressing up in tights and laughing maniacally so another guy in tights can appear and stop them laughing - and that ‘normal’ film world must take it all in stride while it’s definitely no longer Kansas, Toto…

That’s the advantage when you start out from an already skewed base, a world where such occurrences are still sensational - but at the same time not entirely so outrageous that people start looking for the ‘candid camera’ team. Tim Burton’s Batman didn’t even pretend to be set anywhere else than in a comic and for that version it worked fine.

2 Likes

Well, given The Batman’s Gordon and Falcone are already on HBO series it’s not out of the question for the films Version those 2 characters to appear In the series.

I think that this was where Batman Begins succeeded so well. Gotham, as we see it in the beginning of the film, while a much closer depiction of the real world than at any point before, is still a strange place. Nolan begins his Batman arc with two of Batman’s more supernatural villains, in the Scarecrow and Ras al Ghul, and boils them down to something that feels just real enough to fit in a more realistic worldview. So that then, when we make the jump to Joker, Two-Face, and Bane, it’s not a shock to the system and feels like a natural evolution from where things started. This new project, and having them tie into the new film series, could be a way to see how that process happens and what goes on in between the big screen adventures of Batman.

2 Likes

And the King reinaissance continues:

2 Likes

This could prove interesting. Haven’t seen The Old Guard yet, but I’m always up for them taking another crack at a new spy franchise. Gal Gadot is fantastic in Wonder Woman, so I think she’s a good choice for something like this. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

1 Like