Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

I’m pretty sure Marilyn’s “iconic breathy tone” (as the article puts it) was an affectation for the screen, so having her talk that way in her “down time” would look silly anyway. I suspect that a few minutes into the film, whatever there is of an accent will be a non-issue, just as it was a non-issue for me that, for instance, Tom Hanks looks absolutely nothing like Fred Rogers, Sully or Walt Disney. That’s why it’s called “acting.”

Honestly at this point it’s only Ana de Armas’ involvement that has me at all interested. I’ve never understood the appeal of Marilyn Monroe.

2 Likes

Discuss…

I don’t know what’s going over there, but they’ve lured Michael Keaton back to the role of Batman for Batgirl and The Flash, only for both films now potentially to never see the light of day. That’s a lot of money, a lot of fan goodwill (I mean, we were going to see Keaton as Batman again), and a lot of peoples’ time that’s gone completely down the drain on one and potentially two films.

And their whole reasoning behind “we’re only making $90+ million tentpoles and Batgirl cost $70 million”. What kind of rationale is that not to release it?

1 Like

Wow - so the reason they’re doing it is they’re going to use it as a tax write down which means they can’t then release it at all.

The business side of things is currently in full control at Warners…

WB in freefall.

This goes to show the mess of strict continuity, which is amplified when a studio second guesses themselves and doesn’t know what they’re doing. You can’t go past the earlier Bond films. They were effectively stand-alone but did make subtle reference to previous adventures. These days it seems to be about constructing jigsaws, setting up what’s next, rather than making good movies.

2 Likes

Reading around, it’s Discovery wanting to undo AT&T’s ideas (like the way political parties do that thing of first being petty about the previous government) and they had to do it now to make use of a tax loophole.

2 Likes

I’m curious if fans of the Bond novels did that when Connery was cast.

#Grantforbond

2 Likes

I don’t need to see this Batgirl movie, nor the Scooby do.

But the idea that a film which was already in the editing room is suddenly canceled for tax purposes, despite a budget of 90 millions, shows only the ugly disrespect for creativity.

Is this what this new WB top guy wants artists to know?

Man, as if that Disney chief honcho flirting with DeSantis and firing people who know better than him wasn’t enough…

2 Likes

I don’t need to see the Batgirl movie either, but I have to admit that I would have tuned into it to see Keaton’s Batman.

One has to wonder, assuming for the sake of argument that there was even a chance of this happening before, if Keaton would be in any way willing to return to the role of Batman again after this debacle.

2 Likes

I’m the complete opposite. I was really looking forward to the Batgirl film as I’m fan of the character, particularly Gail Simone’s run which I think the film was drawing from. The cast was solid and I even think that taking a lower budget approach was a good move. Everything was in place to mkay a film that was at least worth checking out.
The only thing I wasn’t on board with was Keaton. He did great work as Batman in the 80’s/90’s but I’m really getting frustrated on how much everyone is leaning on nostalgia right now.

But genuinely annoyed by this news. Yet another debacle in a long line of DC related debacles.

1 Like

Probably now depends on The Flash…

So no. Miller will have probably kidnapped an orphanage between now and the film coming out.

2 Likes

This Batgirl thing strikes me as a good idea; too much rubbish is pumped out these days. Less is more.

Although if my pension has some investment in the studio concerned, I am not sure I should be so sanguine about it.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been a bigger and better tax write-off to have put THE FLASH in the bin?

You’d think, but apparently not

1 Like

I hope the new 10 year-plan will be better and last longer than their last plans.

2 Likes

I wonder if WB will cancel this one too…

2 Likes

Only when it is in post…

Nah, this is their only meal ticket.

Although, this one could really yield disappointing box office, with the surprise factor gone and a new musical style alienating the audience.