Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

:tired_face:

2 Likes
3 Likes

That is a nice cast. Getting Yeoh in anything is always good.

3 Likes

I will be curious as to how they transform one of her weaker novels–“Hallowe’en Party.” She was dictating them at this stage of her career.

1 Like

I wouldn’t understand that either, Pierce, especially given the costume you would’ve been auditioning in didn’t have that…

3 Likes
2 Likes

I just finished Halloween Ends… :jack_o_lantern:

(no spoilers in my summary, just whether I liked it or not)

Summary

I was really enjoying it for the first 45mins but then it just fell apart for me. It was a fresh feeling movie but they stayed away from the main storyline far too long.

Overall I liked it much better than Kills but… it’s maybe the right time to give the series a rest.

Nice cameo by a certain Halloween '78 actor. The John Carpenter score was minimal and didn’t really have much of a presence.

1 Like

Black Adam post credit scene “leaked” online

Summary

Henry Cavill returning as Superman in what is definitely not a publicity stunt :roll_eyes:

Should say, I liked Man of Steel, and think Cavill could do brilliantly in the role, he just seems to be being constantly used as a bargaining chip in WB’s internal power struggles rather than, y’know, actually making a good movie

2 Likes

If they actually do a movie with that character I bet he will be surrounded by too many others again.

That actor, I agree, is great in that role. But he is wasted in storylines going nowhere.

1 Like

There was a point where Matthew Vaughn was going to direct Man Of Steel 2, it never moved beyond rumour but I do think Vaughn and Jane Goldman making a Superman film for Cavill would be perfect! Henry Cavill clearly gets the character, and the Stardust/Kick-ass/Kingsman duo definitely get the tone that a Superman film should be.

1 Like

I’m sure the world has been waiting for this :roll_eyes:

1 Like

With Seth MacFarlane in the background I have hope.

1 Like

The Naked Gun films work because of Leslie Nielsen. There is quite literally zero point in making one without him. This is just going to be an absolutely shameless cash grab using a name that people recognize while in no way resembling or paying sufficient tribute to the original, because nobody can do what Nielsen did.

Hopefully Liam Neeson has the good sense to turn this down.

4 Likes

Nielsen was one of a kind.

But Seth MacFarlane is, too, and Neeson has worked with him before, so I imagine this is well thought out.

And maybe Neeson wants to change his career the way Nielsen did. Before he starred in AIRPLANE nobody would have considered Nielsen to be an expert comedian.

1 Like

If Neeson wants to reinvent himself in a similar way, then that’s fine. I wish him luck with it, and I may even find myself interested in the project. But do something other than ride Nielsen’s coattails. The Naked Gun films ARE Leslie Nielsen. Take him out of those films and replace him with someone else, and you have an entirely different thing, which is what this will be because Neeson isn’t Nielsen.

All this can be is a pale imitation because they are imitating one of the greatest to ever do that particular brand of comedy. If Neeson wants to reinvent himself as a comedian, great, go out and create something that caters to his strengths in that department, rather than trading in on a brand name that only works because of the talents of one man.

1 Like

I’m with dalton on this one. This reminds me of the Pink Panther films with Steve Martin as Clouseau. No one can deny Steve’s a comedy genius, but that part belonged to Peter Sellers and any attempt to replace him is ill advised.

And yes I know Alan Arkin had a stab at it, too. My comments stand.

1 Like

I don’t think this will be a straight remake, rather a variation of a cop show parody.

But since cop shows have changed considerably since the 80‘s this naked gun will look and feel very differently.

And again, Seth MacFarlane knows what he is doing. Check out „The Orville“ and you immediately will feel relieved.

2 Likes

The Orville

Which also has a brief appearance by Liam Neeson

1 Like

Hard to replace Sean Connery as James Bond but here were are 60 years later knowwhatimsayin.

I’ll let you know if Liam Neeson is right for a “Naked Gun” movie after I see it.

In the mean time, I’m going to get caught up on the “Who Do You Want for Bond #7” thread… :wink:

2 Likes

Which is why they’d be better off just doing their own variation on the cop show parody, rather than standing on Nielsen’s shoulders and using the franchise for which he is responsible for the success in order to give their idea a leg up with audiences before they even see the finished product.

1 Like