Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

While probably not the direction I, or most, would have gone with it, considering that a large part of what the original was about was trying to decipher what was happening inside Arthur’s head versus what was actually happening in the real world, there’s certainly room for this kind of thing to work in the universe that they have created.

Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn? Now, that could be an inspired choice.

1 Like

Was that really so hard? It’s all I want from a Star Wars project right now.

3 Likes

It’s what Star Wars fans will bitch hard about - it’s their thing, new is trying to kill them!

4 Likes

Waititi might be exactly the kind of guy who can pull this off.

And, despite being cinema-raised on the Star Wars-Skywalker Saga: it should be over. Go and do something completely fresh and unexpected like Lucas did in 1977.

4 Likes

I agree, move on. As soon as that “Chapter IV” label stopped being a throwaway homage to old-time serials and became literally “chapter four in a nine-part saga,” the fat was in the fire. Lucas came back for three prequels to tell a drawn-out, years-long story that worked better as a few lines of exposition in the 1977 film, and once he left there’s no way they weren’t going to keep going until all 9 chapters were done, instead of moving on to new and more interesting characters. Even when they did one-offs outside of the Skywalker saga, they still all had to tie back in somehow. And I’m sorry but every hour spent focusing on those characters just accentuated the fact that they were originally designed as “stock” characters in a one-off homage to Flash Gordon. “Develop” them all you like, but even in three dimensions, cardboard is still cardboard.

With Waititi attached, my interest just jumped from “none” to “some.” We’ll see how high they can raise that by the time the film hits (like they care whether I go. They’re doing fine without me so far)

1 Like

That looks intriguing:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Avatar wasn’t enough for you, Jim?

Oh dear god. Haven’t we suffered enough?!?

1 Like

All this extra work on movies I don’t really care for and I still can’t buy a copy of The Abyss or True Lies…

1 Like

Yep. I would love a decent blu ray of THE ABYSS.

3 Likes
3 Likes

It probably is time. But I will be very sad to see him stop.

2 Likes

Never thought I would have lived too see the day that Ghostbusters 3 would make it to the screen and now here comes Ghostbusters 4. It’s a nice bit of sunshine in an otherwise endless parade of bad news these days, it seems.

Not too keen on it going up against both Star Trek and Star Wars, assuming all three hold their current release dates, but Ghostbusters is playing with house money at this point, so I’m down for whatever. And the fact that they’re bringing it back to New York, to the firehouse. Bring it on is all I can say. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They won’t.

2 Likes

Given the stat of those two franchises on the big screen I’d class those as ‘I’ll believe it when I see it.’

1 Like
3 Likes

This has to be a joke, right?

The Fantastic Four film doesn’t have a director yet, I doubt they’re planning spin-off yet.

Well, if there is a modicum of truth to this (I doubt it), this would likely be the Fantastic Four film.

1 Like