Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

Following Patrick Stewart in Dr. Strange, this isn’t really a surprise…

Was going to spoiler tag this then remembered they put him in the trailer.

1 Like

Next up: Hey, we’re doing another, uh, “Crocodile Dundee”? It´s a crossover with “Terminator”. Almost shooting!

2 Likes

2 episodes in, it’s much grimmer than I was expecting but I’m…enjoying seems the wrong word…finding it to be good?

Also Steven Moffat is definitely missing writing Sherlock

1 Like

Can we do a top 5 (or 10 if there are that many) list of completely original movies that aren’t terrible (not including horror films)?

Reading through a list of the top grossing movies of all time is depressing. The one I saw has 8 of the top 10 as comic books, sequels, or cartoons.

Who out there is doing original stuff that’s good? Chris Nolan gets close, but even he suffers from the re-do issue. Batman, history films, even Tenet was “Endgame for adults” as my better half once said. Where are the good, original movies anymore?

It’s probably a silly question. Everyone likes different stuff…how do you limit it, how do you define good, does high-grossing necessarily imply good, etc? In any event, I think there are those of us who feel this frustration.

1 Like

It’s hard for anything to be original these days because there’s not really all that many types of stories out there that can be told. As stories are passed down over time, new stories emerge that are really just updated version of what came before. Every once in a while something truly original comes along, but the further we progress away from the time during which the first stories were being recorded however many thousands of years ago that was, truly original storytelling becomes more and more infrequent.

I mean, look at Bond, they’ve had trouble with it in just 60 years and 25 films. There are three films in the franchise that are pretty much the exact same story (YOLT, TSWLM, TND).

Then there’s also the fact that the types of films that we would hold up as being more original than most of the more popular ones just don’t draw the business that would make it worth the while for the studios to continue funding them in a big way.

1 Like

I think there’s wildly original work being done today in both film and television. You’re just not going to find it if you’re only looking at the top box office films.

Those films have gotten so expensive to make that they can’t afford to take the risk of doing something other than what brought in the money before.

5 Likes

Random originality I’ve found over the years in no particular order. Not scientific, just my opinion, probably missing a bunch of stuff…

Twin Peaks
X-Files
Sweet Smell of Success
The Prisoner
The Mask of Dimitrios
The Mentalist
Chuck
Burn Notice
The Mark Gatiss take on Sherlock
Upstream Color
Limitless
Sunset Boulevard
Fist Full of Dollars
Once Upon A Time In the West
Columbo
The Nutty Professor (1963)
The Mechanic (1972)
Strawberry Mansion
The Mallorca Files
Firefly
Another Version of You
Another Earth
The Twilight Zone (1959-1964)
The Booth at the End
The Monkees

There’s much more I’m sure. These are the ones that stand out in my mind right now.

1 Like

Most of those entries were reactions to original work done before.

But one must make a distinction between story and the way it is told.

There only are a few original stories since the dawn of storytelling.

But how they get retold, that’s where one can get creative and original.

1 Like
1 Like

Agreed. I included a lot of those for just that reason. I suppose then that everything the MCU is doing is original because of the way the stories are being told. They just aren’t landing that way for me anymore. When the first Ironman came out that was pretty original.

“William Shakespeare uses a predestination paradox centuries before science fiction was classed as a genre” something that was said in a drama lecture to make the point that you should just assume someone has done it before

1 Like

I don’t think that the Marvel films tell stories in a particularly original way. Effective? Apparently.

But the point is not whether I feel something is original or others do.

One would have to look at everything that has come before and only then judge another story telling approach.

Alright, at the risk of looking like a fool for asking… why isn’t this a property that is in the public domain? It was first published in 1912…

1 Like

A new (and much better) “final” trailer for HALLOWEEN ENDS

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to it. Peacock recently had a plan where it was $1.99/month if you signed up for a year, so I’m ready to stream :jack_o_lantern::hocho:

2 Likes
1 Like

The Oppenheimer trailer is looping because the countdown in the trailer is counting down in real time to the release date.