Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

1 Like

Cannot wait for this!

The industry and the cinemas need this one to succeed.

One of those early reactions cite the thinness of the story, being a mix of Dances with Wolves (again) and Free Willy (this time).

The majority just praises the visuals, how pretty they are to look at.

Well, if that is now what it takes to be called a masterpiece…

In an attempt to at least be fair to the movie, those who commented on the story in the article also said…

“It’s a better, more complex story than the first with solid emotion”

“As for the story, it’s A LOT of movie & I’m eager for a 2nd viewing to revisit some details, but on 1st watch, it’s a mighty effective exploration of community and family dynamics”

"The story, the spectacle, the spirituality, the beauty – this is moviemaking and storytelling at its absolute finest.”

Here: ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ First Reactions: “A Visual Masterpiece” – The Hollywood Reporter

I confess: I am not a fan of AVATAR. Or Cameron post “The Abyss” (which I loved).

1 Like

The words “emotion” and “emotional” show up frequently as well. Does not seem to be many “Great visuals, but…”

1 Like

Eva Green…

Changes are a comin’

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1600920132691189760

1 Like

I wouldn´t mind if they started completely fresh.

Does anyone else see red flags when someone will criticise other films rather than sell the quality of their own?

1 Like

I fear he believes his own hype.

1 Like

He really does:

1 Like

“Plot-wise, it’s thin” but it turns out being nice to look at and nothing else is enough…that’s depressing

1 Like

I guess without the pandemic this would have been received like THE MATRIX 2 - enormous opening weekend, then drop-off, extreme disappointment, with part 3 sparking only faint interest and the realization that the thrill was gone quickly because of repetitive and not that interesting plot developments.

Now, it is supposed to save theatre-owners, and the studio throws everything behind it in order to recoup their insane investment.

And people who get more intelligent entertainment at home for years will crave that kind of spectacle which is mainly geared for visual excitement on the big screen and a night out. It´s just a diversion, not daring to scare off the masses by actually giving their intellect fodder to digest.

Only a few years ago, Spielberg and Lucas predicted that cinemas will become just a theme park ride.

That’s now.

Go to the cinema. Let the effects wash over you. That’s what mass audiences pay for these days.

In a way, we’re back to the starting point of cinema.

1 Like