Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

The thing that made the book work for me is that Crichton spent some time explaining the science behind the entire enterprise. Maybe I should put “science” in quotation marks because I’m not sure how valid any of it was, but the point is, he sold it for me. In the movie all of that is reduced to a couple minutes of a cartoon character explaining the process so we can get to the stompin’ and chompin’ that much faster.

That said, I’ve had more than enough dinosaurs, however you package them.

This is a novel that I’d very much like to see get a more faithful adaptation sometime in the future. Not that I have any qualms with Spielberg’s film, which is a triumph in its own rite, but it is, at the end of the day, quite different from its source material.

2 Likes

As for Harry Potter or any other book already filmed getting a tv adaptation, I never understood the urge to have all or most of the material put on screen.

If I love a book I can always read that.

A movie or a tv series tell stories differently. They will use the basic story elements and then craft their own version of it.

The HP series is only about milking a known property. And expect that show to leave out material and invent new ideas as well, that is the nature of episodic storytelling.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I hope they actually keep these movies. I’m still disappointed that Patty Jenkins’ Rogue Squadron got cancelled. Same to a lesser degree, Taika Waititi could have been interesting. I knew Daisy Ridley would come back as Rey. I hope Mark Hamill comes back as Luke. Same for Billy Dee Williams or Donald Glover as Lando. Keep JJ Abrams away!

2 Likes

Now that´s the kind of poster they don’t make anymore. Except they do:

9 Likes

I’m massively disappointed that that was cancelled. I have serious Star Wars fatigue (I used to say there was no such thing as too much Star Wars. Disney proved me wrong on that), and can not raise the slightest bit interest in any of the new shows that all look same same to me, or anything in this new announcement.

Rogue Squadron was the one thing I was interested in and excited for and then it just disappeared. I mean, it seems like the biggest no-brainer for a series let alone a movie. But nah, go for more duel-weilded lightsaber twirling (is it me or is it rarer for a Jedi/Sith to use just one lightsaber these days?)

2 Likes

Nice to see Mangold leaning into the 40’s nostalgia the posters for the rest have.

3 Likes

I just got to see Jack Black and Lizzo in an awesome cameo, a few weeks after Starbuck rescuing Joel from The Last Of Us and halfway through the guy that Star Wars “fans” almost drove to suicide getting a huge hero moment.

Disney are doing good.

The “fans” however…

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1644375547634413568

I’m on board!!!

See where my avatar first turned up…

2 Likes

Waititi is currently writing it…

1 Like

Bond info in the later part of the article

1 Like

We can be so glad that EON has a tight grip on Bond. Otherwise the future of Bond would already have been gutted.

6 Likes

Reading that makes me glad the Broccoli family are as hands on as they are. The amount of “former execs” complaining about what the current execs do sounds like a nightmare!

4 Likes

Seems so. And worse–no offices.

Hopefully, box office continues to grow, and the theatrical experience survives.

4 Likes

Rian Johnson’s movies are still happening but Blanc is the main priority for now.

1 Like

My take: KK and he were ready to move on a new trilogy when the backlash happened.

RJ went to save his career with Knives Out, but now he and probably KK, too, are hesitant to try again. So… thanks a lot, toxic internet fandom, you deprived us of at least highly interesting Star Wars movies.

4 Likes
1 Like