Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

4 Likes
5 Likes

Call me crazy but this Axel trailer I love!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Nice cast and it looks like they’re going for physical action rather than CGI crap.

I’m in.

2 Likes

A rare sequel that I’m looking forward to. Also, that funeral is for Jeffery Jones’s career as well.

I agree

1 Like

So, recutting a film first and then putting it on their streamer…

Wouldn’t it have been more cost effective to simply send it to their streamer the way it was?

1 Like

I know, the joke doesn’t work without it, but: phones (and especially mobile phones) stopped making that noise when you hang up ages ago :crazy_face:

That said, I like the trailer :+1:

2 Likes

People either don’t like what’s offered or they don’t like going to the cinema anymore…

The interesting aspect: awareness and marketing on social media is huge - but has no effect here.

1 Like

What streamers are they going to be on in 3 weeks?

3 Likes

Universal = Peacock?

1 Like

Damn. I keep watching this trailer, thinking: yes, this is the kind of summer movie which made summer movie going fun.

And now, it´s released on Netflix.

Hey, studios - you’re so crazy about IP and can’t do something like this?

2 Likes

When you look at the comments on Youtube, the two you read most are “He hasn’t aged a minute” and “Why isn’t this on cinema?”

2 Likes

I’m 46 years old, I’m as big a movie fan as there is, and the last time I was in a movie theater was for Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker in Dec '19. (I would have gone to NTTD but the decision not to was Covid/family related).

I think it comes down to the fact that when I’m home I am so exposed to movies (to the point that my to-watch list gets so long it feels overwhelming thinking I won’t have time to get through it all) that when I have an opportunity to go out with friends, another movie is that last thing I want to do.

It’s sad on one hand, but on the other the streaming services are offering me a selection of movies I never would have had a decade or two ago, and I am watching more now than I ever have.

It has its advantages…

3 Likes

I´ve been only once since 2020, due to the pandemic, and that was last year for “Indy”. Since then I was either burdened by work or being sick and recovering, not wishing to risk another infection during the winter months - and, frankly, there was nothing I definitely wanted to see on the big screen.

I do miss the experience, however, and I’m sure “Dune 2” or “Furiosa” or “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” would benefit from seeing them in the theatre… but I probably will wait for the streaming to accommodate by own timing.

Maybe “Horizon” will bring me back to the cinema.

2 Likes

It strikes me what a very different experience going to the cinema has become from the 80s/90s/00s. People used to go see a specific film, sure - but they also used to just stroll downtown high streets and spontaneously decide to go to the cinema on a whim. At times even to see two films.

Multiplexes today are perfectly equipped to spend the whole day inside them with cafes and restaurants catering to various tastes. But is that still an attractive offer? Prices are on the expensive side, quality is not.

And high streets tend to offer a mixed bag of tricks, boarded up shopfronts beside appointment-only VIP power shopping, the ‘middle ground’ selling largely junk and vulgarities. Just going window shopping like people did in ‘the good old days’ cliché doesn’t seem like a way you’d want to spend your precious spare time any more.

I guess that particular part of the cinema experience, the spontaneous crowd that would also at times watch something they didn’t yet know just because any old actioneer or comedy would do, has become much less frequent. They stroll their streamer menus instead of downtown. And they’re no longer lured to the theatre since theatres don’t really cater to random audiences today. The notion somebody might turn up at a cinema without having the foggiest idea what to watch there is a thing of the past.

4 Likes

In the last 5 years - Knives Out, Birds Of Prey, No Time To Die, Guardians of The Galaxy 3 then Barbenheimer, and the last two trips were only because the cinema was really nice and was also a restaurant.

3 Likes

I love the chance to watch movies at home, even very recent releases, no doubt.

But when a movie is only available at the cinema for at least eight to ten months it becomes a special occasion. These days, you just wait a few weeks.

And many cinemas in the last decade already made it difficult to prefer the theatrical experience, with bad sound, diffuse projection, old grimey seats and terrible air quality (and I am talking about one of the biggest towns in Germany, with lots of cinemas back then), and of course those on cell phone talking audience members…

2 Likes

I don’t know how it is in other countries, but my experience is not always that the quality is better in the cinema than when you see a film at home on your gigantic TV set. I remember that when I saw Once upon a time in the West on 4K in the cinema in Dordrecht, the Netherlands, in 2016, I found the image quite blurry and especially grainy. I just watched it on 4K here at home (released last week in America and England on 4K discs) and the graininess was now not noticeable, beautiful picture here at home.

3 Likes