Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

2 Likes

Doubling down on the nostalgia market.

A show we used to make fun of back in the days. Now the concept gets chosen over any original content.

Yeah.

1 Like

Better the devil you know.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s not doubling down.

This is doubling down:

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

What the actual fuc

THE FOLLOWING 16 CHATACTERS HAVE BEEN CENSORED.

Almost exactly my initial reaction - just in a different language. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BTW, thought it might be time to rename the thread appropriately (as it was still running under “2019 and Beyond”)…

3 Likes

I hate that quote. By that logic Donald Trump is better than anyone else…

1 Like

Good call on ‘maybe 2021’!

1 Like

Biden as an 8 year vice also fits the bill.

The fact people didn’t take the quote into account when voting for a six times bankrupt, draft dodging, sexual abuser, says how little certain parts of the population learn.

2 Likes

Affleck will appear alongside Michael Keaton in the new film.

2 Likes

A golden age for the Batman franchise with so much happening. This makes the Flashpoint rumours which originally only involved Keaton even better.

1 Like

I’m glad that he’s returning, as he’s definitely gotten the shaft so far when it’s come to his tenure. I really enjoyed his take on the character, even in the middle of all of the awfulness that surrounded him in Batman v Superman and Justice League. Hopefully they’ll give him a solo film at some point, where they could explore the ideas of an older, more experience Batman, while still allowing Pattinson to do his thing as the “official” Batman.

1 Like

I suspect this is giving Batfleck an actual ending whilst handing it over Keaton to act as DCEU Batman going forward.

3 Likes

Not such a good time to be a Flash fan though. Finally getting a solo film and he’s already being upstaged by 2 Batmans. At least there’s the TV series.

1 Like

Word is the film will establish the Multiverse as the unifying concept of all DC films. So I think Keaton’s included as a way of saying, “Yep, that happened, too” as did the Adam West version, and all the various Supermen back to Kirk Alyn.

Affleck, I suspect, will exist in the first part of the film, before Flash does whatever he does to screw with reality. Then by the end, we’ll have established there are multiple Batmen in muliple realities, with the “Justice League” Earth having been reset in a way that retains the current Aquaman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman and (it’s looking like) Superman, but Bat-Affleck is wiped out of the timeline, leaving the door open for recasting. Or maybe just leaving Batman dead on that Earth.

Meanwhile other Earths can exist with Pattinson Batman, Phoenix Joker, TV Flash and Supergirl, etc. All DC films and TV shows can peacefully co-exist even though they don’t connect and they all have different approaches and moods. DC concedes they will never be able to match Marvel’s mastery of inter-connectedness, but as a trade-off, they open the door to greater creative freedom. Characters can be allowed to die, or age, or marry, or whatever, because it needn’t affect more than one film. Warner can have a dozen Batmen in a dozen projects all at the same time and all the accountants can go to bed happy every night.

2 Likes

Problem is: nothing then will have much of a dramatic effect. This Batman dies? Big deal, we switch to the next universe.

1 Like

Then it’ll be just like the comics. This issue: the hero DIES! Next month: It’s okay, he gets better.

The multiple Earth concept also lets them fall back on comics’ other time-tested trope: “Everything you thought you knew about [fill in the blank] is a lie! Here’s the REAL origin of [fill in the blank]!” Lather, rinse, repeat.

Of course the films have already mastered one comic tradition: whenever the audience starts losing interest, start re-numbering the series with a new #1.

2 Likes

I‘m really thankful none of that was an issue when I was a kid. My Peter Parker had enough problems as it were, without giving his parents a backstory or raising Gwen Stacy from the dead. Bruce Wayne‘s Alfred was just a trusted friend and ally, not some former special forces hotshot. There were hardly any revelations about bit players and the biggest spectacle ensued when a costume was changed or a new style was introduced.

It’s not that I begrudge readers the changes and alternatives that were introduced since, I don’t know, 1980 or so. But who actually kept track of all the restarts and reboots and MAJOR WORLD-SHATTERING CROSSOVER EVENTS that happened in the two universes? It has all developed into an obscure science that ultimately is…empty, a bubble without substance.

1 Like

New trailer for WW84 just released: