My favourite Eon Bond film World Cup - 1970s

• Diamonds are Forever
  • Live and Let Die
  • The Man with the Golden Gun
  • The Spy who Loved Me
  • Moonraker

0 voters

A couple of weeks and then the top two go forward to fight it out with the top 2s of the other decades.

Not a very difficult choise: my favorite Bondmovie Moonraker ofcourse!

3 Likes

How can I choose one from four of my all-time favorites?
DAF was my first. You never forget your first.
LALD was the first new film I got to look forward to. It was the summer of 73 for me.
Ditto TMWTGG - Christmas 74 would have been nothing without it.
TSWLM, after what at the time seemed like an interminable wait , ticked all my boxes. Never mind Star Wars, CE3K and disco - this was summer 77.
I’ll go with TMWTGG, just to get it on the chart.

2 Likes

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is a more consistent effort for me, but I will continue sticking with my mantra that the first two-thirds of MOONRAKER is among the best of the whole series, so I’m going for that (and stubbornly ignoring the whole Bond in space thing…)

4 Likes

You have chosen wisely, Vauxhall.

In time, you may come to embrace the whole Bond in space thing. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Bond… silver foil space suits… white plastic laser guns… serving 70’s sci-fi realness. Gives me everything I want from a movie.

2 Likes

MR will always have a special place for me as my first Bond at the cinema.

However, TSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLMTSPWLM :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::seven:

3 Likes

And Moore.

MR may not have a car chase like TSWLM, but it does have the boat scene with Jaws, which features the last ever usage of the 007 Theme. And of course the greatness of the gondola chase!

6 Likes

How to choose between DAF and MOONRAKER? Two of my top three Bonds movies.

Both quintessential 70’s movies (my favorite cinematic decade).

DAF got my vote, but in this case I need an Honourable Mention category.

2 Likes

Two go through from the group to round 2 so if Moonraker keeps picking up points, its honour may well be preserved.

3 Likes

Why Tomorrow Never Dies will always occupy a very special place in my heart (though years later I did come to realize that TMWTGG was the first Bond movie I had any experience with having seen part of the Queen Elizabeth sequence but not knowing it was Bond until I was much older).

70s Bond for me is The Spy Who Loved Me. It’s Moore at his best, with a deliciously over the top story, and the most 70s soundtrack ever. Bond ‘77 forever!

1 Like

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME was my first Bond film, Moonraker the first Fleming I read that summer - I actually bought the book on the way home and started it right that day. Two very different experiences from the world of Bond and for years afterwards my Bond fantasies mixed screen and page as the whimsey would take me, so much so I seamlessly incorporated the visuals of MOONRAKER two years later into my reading experience.

Both films are now amongst my favourites and it’s really a matter of whim that I chose THE SPY over MOONRAKER. The era of the hollow-volcano lair ended in outer space and in style…

5 Likes

Same experience!!!

2 Likes

Amen to that!

image image

What I see in my head every time I hear Bond ‘77

1 Like

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Definitely no times for cynics.

I kinda (I know freakishly) prefer when a Bond film proudly declares when it was made. The fact Goldeneye and The Spy Who Loved Me clearly had their year of release virtually stamped on the screen at all times is a selling point for me.

2 Likes

If MOONRAKER makes it through to Round Two, I hope you (ahem)–having satisfied your most understandable whim–will render a more accurate assessment with your vote.

I agree. I have found that a movie which bears the stamp of the moment it was made, often ages much better than a film which strove for timelessness during its making. One of the arguments I make in favor of the films of Joseph L. Mankiewicz is how they exquisitely balance the specific concerns of their times with an openness to the wider issues of culture (Hitchcock and Fassbinder are other masters of this double visioning).

1 Like

The '70s Bond films are why there are still Bond films.

8 Likes

Diamonds: cheap and flabby, but it’s funniest film in the series, and that counts for a lot. Hamilton really got Bond’s bizarre world. Connery carries the whole thing, everything that comes out of his mouth makes you laugh, and John Barry does God’s work.

LALD: pungent, atmospheric, and admirably gives Moore room to breathe - a luxury not afforded to Lazenby. Great villains, inspired ideas, shoddy photography.

Golden Gun: Hamilton’s bitter trilogy at its bitterest. Not exactly thrill a minute, but it has attitude and laughs and some great performances.

Spy: textbook craftsmanship. Not much more to say. It was my vote. Weakened only by Hamlisch’s score, but it might be worth the tradeoff if it meant getting that theme song. Unfortunately watered down by giving Jaws an encore.

Moonraker: funny and inspired, just less disciplined than Spy. Moore is at his most fatuous and unlikeable. God knows what Barry thought he was doing composing such beautiful music for such a silly movie, but I’m glad he did. Lonsdale deserved a Best Supporting Oscar.

4 Likes