News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

19 posts were split to a new topic: What if…Bond was different?

What have I done!?!

Apologies for derailing this thread. Hopefully some news soon, before we all go and put the world to rights!

Don’t worry, we’re all just waiting and talking…

2 Likes

On Deadly Ground is Segal’s magnum opus! It truly is an appalling movie in every conceivable way, but all the more enjoyable for it! And with Michael Caine as the villain in his Jaws IV ‘I’m clearly only doing this crap for the pay cheque’ mode, there is so much to relish here!!! Everyone should watch this masterclass of movie making!!!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What if…Bond was different?

Mod note: split the cultural background discussion to the new topic What if…Bond was different?

3 Likes

Good thinking!

Purvis & Wade apparently back in the game…

Who would have thought? :wink:

Since Baz is reporting this I would interpret it as EON having decided to really scrap the whole Boyle/Hodge angle - which is probably wise since the backlash to a film based on that concept would always include: oh, if only Boyle had directed that… No new director coming in probably wanted to get into that situation.

With P&W EON knows that “the boys” are teamworkers, they are able to deliver on time, and they are used to be tossed aside for any incoming director´s favorite personal screenwriter.

But it seems that the start date of principal photography can hardly be kept if P&W have to start a new script based on their treatment - unless all the major preplanning of action sequences and location work always had been done as a given for the P&W treatment AND the Boyle/Hodge draft.

Maybe it is also true that Boyle/Hodge did not really write a new storyline but offered “just” a variation in a script draft.

In any event it is surprising that EON has not already officially stated that BOND 25 has to be delayed.

That tells me that they are still willing or damned to keep the start date.

But, yeah, if P&W can now deliver the script within the next month, with preproduction moving forward to prepare the major action sequences already set in stone and locations locked in, and a director then coming in and doing the inevitable changes during the last remaining weeks and - heck - well into the shoot, then BOND 25 could still be in theaters in November 2019.

Not an ideal situation, of course, but one big budget blockbusters and Bond films especially have been again and again and again. Sometimes a very good end result was achieved nevertheless. Sometimes… not.

And again this proves that having a lot of time between films does NOT guarantee a production that has its problems sorted out before. Because, unfortunately, that is not how filmmaking works.

2 Likes

If they really want that 2019 opening (I’m sure the shareholders are giving Eon very little choice), then this makes absolute sense.

1 Like

Damn, would they really throw out Boyle & Hodge’s treatment and script?

Interesting to hear Baz say that Boyle left over EON bringing in another writer.

But if EON wanted to bring in new writers anyway, and they now have, why not pursue the Boyle/Hodge script?

Id take some of whats in that with a pinch of salt - as while i think the base article is true, that P&W have returned, the “article” has clearly been gone over by a Daily Mail editor to tabloid it up “top hollywood exec” not a phrase ever said by an actual person and the general sensationalist style to the whole piece. There are still far too many unanswered questions (like if Hodges script was original or a rewrite) to judge anything. Also the assumption that a director will immedietly hire a writer to “put their own stamp on it” is a bit premature, it really depends on the director.

4 Likes

P&W have to be having a good laugh.

2 Likes

To themselves, probably, but i suspect theyll be the height of modesty with MGW and BB - it seems to be their ability to work with everyone that makes them EON’s go to people.

5 Likes
1 Like

A documentary film maker!

Never heard of the chap, nor seen his output, but the last time we had a documentary director was when we were introduced to the ground-breaking, explosive fire cracker of a film, TWODDLE.

Am I being overtly negative?

1 Like

Yes.

And “in discussions” only means that he is considered - among others who haven’t already talked to the press about it… and therefore probably are much closer to getting the job.

But if he actually were chosen it is obvious that EON want someone to work with, not to obey. And that’s something I applaud!

4 Likes

My guess is that the Universal deal pretty much hinges on a film releasing in 2019. If the film has to be delayed the Universal deal falls through and then Bond 25 isn’t delayed until 2020, but rather is delayed indefinitely or outright cancelled (like Dalton’s third film) and Craig leaves the role. I think for EON to keep the deal with Universal and for Craig to do it, the film has to come out in 2019.

1 Like

I have been saying this for a while, but I never thought about Horowitz doing an adaption of his own books. If they want to reboot after Craig, then there is no better option then Forever and a Day. Just keep Purvis and Wade out of it. It’s clear that their hearts aren’t in it, with quitting after Skyfall and saying quotes like the Bond Villain is a reality with Trump. EON MOVE ON FROM THEM PLEASE! You’re only hurting yourselves. End rant.

Terrific! Exactly what Max Zorin would say.