News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Speaking only of situations in which writers are parachuted in to do a rewrite, doesn’t the writer’s autonomy depend upon how many notes the producers already have on the script you’re picking up? Can you really be doing your version first if it comes with a set of specific instructions?

When they do the handover they’re gonna say…
“We don’t like it because of this and that. Can you fix it, please?”
And/or…
We want it to do this and that instead?

In the edit it’s usually a combo of both, but depending upon the personalities involved it can often begin with the producers wanting you to do specific things, rather than asking you to do your version.

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely - the script doctor does not get carte blanche at all. He is called in because everybody has an opinion and wants someone else to fulfill their wishes.

So Burns will not do his own take on Bond. He will first of all try to make everyone happy. Which never works. But this late in the game he will at least be able to do what he feels must be done and can be done in that short amount of time and collect good money for that.

Sometimes, not enough time, is a very good thing for a writer who is drafted for that job. Too much time and the writer will be terrorized as much as any guy came before.

3 Likes

According to The Playlist they have been courting Burns for months. He became available right after Sundance, at the beginning of February. So it’s possible he has been writing for two, almost three weeks now. The Playlist claimed he had at least four weeks to work on the script, and now Baz is saying he’s halfway through it. They’re not necessarily contradicting each other.

What fascinates me is that they’ve been courting Burns for months. Why wait so long? Why not go for another script doctor? Or maybe they did go for another writer in the meantime, which would explain the Paul Haggis rumour.

3 Likes

Most of the time it´s about who’s playing well with others.

Burns has the connection to Fukunaga and Craig - so that probably sealed the deal.

1 Like

Most sought after quality in this business, how much it’s found is relative…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Much more interesting than this is the tweet below that links to our friends from Brazil. I took the opportunity to start a (possible) spoiler image thread:

https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/t/bond-25-production-pictures-spoilers/1201/2

3 Likes

Am intrigued how Bond Brazil always seems to have early access to / advance knowledge of so much.

I mean Brazil! It’s not exactly Bond Pinewood, or Bond Piccadilly, or Bond LA…

1 Like

Looks like a nice cozy homestead for Mr & Mrs Bond.

My thoughts exactly.
By the way, what exactly is “Production Weekly”? I’ve never heard of it. Is it a reliable source?

BBC news has picked up the Shatterhand working title, too.

They must research here…

3 Likes

Dammit, my cover’s blown. I need an extraction now!

They could’ve looked up any number of posts from the past 10 years…

2 Likes

The Guardian is already at it…

They really like to be snarky.

4 Likes

More or less the Grauniad’s preferred attitude towards Bond: while they come up with some Bond-related story once a month - and are happy enough for the clickbait - they usually prefer to deliberately misinterpret the entire series, though with tongue in cheek more often than not.

6 Likes

The Guardian’s become impossible to read, with the articles by journalists-influencers more suited to twitter. Stuart Heritage is a particular knob, who doesn’t do his researched, citing Sony here as the studio behind Bond 25. This article’s more a cry for attention than news.

8 Likes

Yes! I thought basically the same thing when I read it. It sounds like the ramblings of a blogger rather than a professional journalist. I can’t believe he got paid to write that.

1 Like

It may be the melancholic Irish streak in me but , I would really enjoy a Lana Del Ray Bond theme (Gaga would be acceptable also) Del Ray preferable for me, though my favourite Bond theme over the last nearly two decades, is TWINE, so perhaps I should be excluded from this musical discussion.

2 Likes

Mark Gatiss response to a similar article 2 years ago.

Here is a critic who says with low blow

Sherlock’s no brain-box but become double-O.

Says the Baker St boy is no man of action -

whilst ignoring the stories that could have put him in traction.

White line

The Solitary Cyclist sees boxing on show,

The Gloria Scott and The Sign of the Fo’

The Empty House too sees a mention, in time, of Mathews,

who knocked out poor Sherlock’s canine.

White line

As for arts martial, there’s surely a clue

in the misspelled wrestle Doyle called baritsu.

In hurling Moriarty over the torrent

did Sherlock find violence strange and abhorrent?

White line

In shooting down pygmies and Hounds from hell

Did Sherlock on Victorian niceties dwell?

When Gruner’s men got him was Holmes quite compliant

Or did he give good account for The Illustrious Client?

White line

There’s no need to invoke in yarns that still thrill,

Her Majesty’s Secret Servant with licence to kill

From Rathbone through Brett to Cumberbatch dandy

With his fists Mr Holmes has always been handy.

This is a question for @MrKiddWint who seems quite knowledgeable on film criticism, at what point did professional criticism move from themes and symbolism present in a work, to “My uninformed opinion without knowledge or research, by Barry, aged 6”

3 Likes