News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Interestingly, the comics from Dynamite have touched on it several times. Its been well done each time, but it comes across as jarring to see it in a Bond story, given how the films, and the books for that matter, have mostly gone out of their way to not make political commentary.

Obvoiusly since boyleā€™s olympics film involved a parachute jump in central London, this must be key to his quoted idea for a Bond movie. However, I was hoping there was more to his idea than simply a stunt/set piece.

Iā€™d imagine such a set piece would be in the finale, but more likely the PTS. Iā€™d guess that heā€™s infiltrating the building, rather than landing on it by chance.

Itā€™s worth bearing in mind that using this building doesnā€™t nessisarily mean itā€™s set in london - it could be standing in for another city, London being a more convenient location to shoot in.

On another note, what if Boyle were conflating elements of 2 of his past projects - the olympics Bond short and 28 days later? How about London having been evacuated due to a nuke/chemical threat in the centrepoint building; recreating boyleā€™s eerie opening scenes from 28 days later with an empty London. Cue Bond ā€˜chutingā€™ in to save the day!

1 Like

That sounds coolā€‹:clap::clap::clap:

Please god, not another London set finale.

Art Director Neal Callow, who worked on Craigā€™s previous films, confirms he is working on Bond 25.

3 Likes

Good to hear. I imagine many of EONā€™s in house will be used, though i imagine Jon Harris and Anthony Dod Mantle are also shoe ins. Iā€™m not 100% that Rick Smith will be sole composer as Trance is the only solo composition work heā€™s done and John Murphy isnā€™t really the style youā€™d want for Bond (though the man is master of guitar composition), whilst Boyle has worked with David Arnold as composer before so he may just stick with EONā€™s go-to on that front.

Entirely speculation but almost definitely the costume designer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suttirat_Anne_Larlarb

Confirmation also here - plus a nice info on that Bond museum:

1 Like

Looks like Boyle is going with the established Bond crew and not bringing in his own peopleā€¦

Mendes used the same crew. Craigā€™s other 3 directors did, tbh I think itā€™s only the director of photography, editor and one or two others a director is likely to bring with them rather than the ones EON recommend. Mendes only insisted for his DOP, composer and production designer, and since Gassner is EONā€™s go-to anywayā€¦

Not saying other directors didnā€™t - just saying itā€™s good to see Boyle continuing down that path.

1 Like

Well, Boyle does strike me as the sort of director who, when he says he wants to make a Bond, actually wants to make a Bond film rather than a Danny Boyle film that happens to have James Bond in it.

1 Like

Maybe that means Craig will finally have suits that fit him.

I donā€™t know - judging from any interview and his career he definitely focuses on films he wants to make the way he wants to make them. Being burnt by ā€œThe Beachā€ it will be important for him to not be drawn into the abyss of big blockbuster filmmaking again.

Good luck with that on a Bond filmā€¦

As for the crew, I guess he will just have to compromise using many established artists from the Bond family (during the long prep needed Boyle will be absent shooting the Curtis-comedy) and rely on their expertise instead of bringing on people new to this kind of endeavor, since he cannot guide them.

But the key personnel will be his director of photography and his editor. And those he will definitely handpick.

As for Arnold - a score is a very prominent factor in every film, and in Boyle films as well. He could choose someone completely left field for that, just to give this Bond film a totally different feel. But he could also stick with someone who already knows how to score Bond. Thatā€™s the advantage Arnold has: he already has offered many different styles for Bond and will be willing to explore something new again.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t rule Arnold out of doing the score given their history with the Olympics, but I personally believe that the score is an area where Boyle will want to put his own stamp onto the series. I expect something new and daring while remaining within established parameters, similar to what Serra did for Goldeneye. Iā€™m not saying stylistically similar, but something new and decidedly different while still retaining DNA to what has come before.

1 Like

I think it depends on the fashion. Iā€™ve really liked Craigā€™s look in all 4 of his films, whilst I HATED Brosnanā€™s look in his films, but thatā€™s because Iā€™ve never liked the 90ā€™s baggy cut. Just really down to your personal tastes really.

I donā€™t think EON have had a preference for those 2 since 80ā€™s (Stuart Baird maybe being the closest, but I seem to recall he was a Campbell choosing) Iā€™m thinking heā€™ll keep it as in-house as possible so he can focus on the core of the film, not having to look over the shoulders of every department, just choosing the ones who heā€™ll be partners with at each stage - his writer, followed by his DOP then finishing with his editor.

Itā€™s actually the trying not to loose control over a big film issue that makes me think Arnold will return, he obviously knows what heā€™s doing on a Bond film, but also already has a working relationship with Boyle, two big ticks in the pro column.

Again why I think Arnold is a shoe in - it would his third collaboration with Boyle, both times before being when he was looking for something more orchestral.

2 Likes

While I am not the biggest fan of Arnold overall, I would not be upset to see his return as it would guarantee a strong connection to the familiar, which is not a bad thing where the scores are concerned. My favorite of his is QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

I was quite the fan of Newmanā€™s SKYFALL score, though I was beyond disappointed with the rehash that was SPECTRE.

Absolutely. Bond will always wear what is considered hot at that particular time.

And Iā€™m sure in a few years people will laugh at CraigĀ“s suits the way we smirk now in regard to safari jackets.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. It is hard to watch Moore in his chest high pants and I dont like Brosnanā€™s 3 piece suits.

What about Craigā€™s 3 piece suits? The first one was the same maker as Brosnanā€™sā€¦