News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Good choice, if chosen.

1 Like

All the above is what our fandom is about and very diverse and collectively observant. Creative too.

13 weeks out…" And COUNTING…" (couldn’t resist)

Speculations, hopes, theories and dreams aside, here’s where we’re at.

Hmmm…

Fine. I can clear my schedule.

I’ll direct Bond 25. Eon can pay me what they think is fair when we wrap. :wink:

4 Likes

I find this fascinating in the fact that, either the script is flexible In the nationality of the villain, or there really is two scripts in play and they haven’t chosen which one yet.

well if we’re talking spielberg then count me in, sir! Love to see his bond :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The man wanted Haley Joel Osment as Harry Potter and wanted Shia Le Bouef cast in a film. Twice. I’d be cautious as I’ve found Spielberg is a bit like Russian roulette in terms of occasionally firing out something we REALLY could’ve done without.

It certainly does shed some more light on those ‘creative differences’. At first it sounded like they couldn’t agree on an actor but now it seems like they can’t even agree on the character’s nationality. Since it was reportedly Boyle/ Hodge who introduced the Russian angle then this does sound like a case of a director and producer who weren’t on the same page.

There’s a more in depth report here:

Taghmaoui appears to be a more contemplative, less physical choice than the, IMO at least, brutal force of Kot.

From what I’ve seen of the guy, I think he’d be a good choice. He could be charming and brutal.

1 Like

Interesting! I’m surprised EON didn’t swear him to utmost secrecy. Unless he’s changed his mind and is looking to be let go…

Looks like we were wrong to interpret the casting rumours as indicative of Boyle wanting to emphasise the Russian/Cold War themes. Based on this interview, it seems Boyle wanted a Middle Eastern villain.

1 Like

Perhaps if Eon are uncertain about things, then allowing him to reveal this could give them some reaction data via newspaper and website commentary and of course forums such as this.

We are, I feel, getting closer to an announcement. I think he would be a great shout , I have enjoyed his work since La Haine and Three Kings.

1 Like

Taghmaoui Is a decent actor and would no doubt deliver as well as the script allows and then some. I just worry that we’re getting yet another generic flavour of the day middle eastern villain; they seem to be the goto bad guys right now.

At least with Kot he’s not such an obvious choice for such a villain (and he seems to be well reviewed in Cold War).

Also, how does a middle eastern villain figure in a YOLT adaptation? Of course it may have nothing to with YOLT except in working title only, but I hope it’s more than that. Could they be changing the setting from Japan? Making Shatterhand a new character instead of an altered Blofeld?

Then again Taghmaoui is a similar build to Waltz so could that be why Eon preferred him to the taller Kot? A more plausible Blofeld post surgery? Would that be too similar to DADs face change story?

I don’t know that Shatterhand rumour should be taken as fact just yet - that name comes up every time a new Bond movie is on the way, so unless something new has surfaced, i wouldnt expect 25 to be the You Only Live Twice retelling we’ve been waiting for

2 Likes

As I see in that article, it was Boyle who cast him. Maybe Kot was up for another role.

2 Likes

Agreed. “Shatterhand” will probably just be EON´s “Blue Harvest”.

1 Like

That’s what I keep saying.

I always thought The Death Collector, mentioned many times by others and one of the chapters from YOLT, was a good title choice for Bond 25.

1 Like

Still, I really don’t get it. I assumed when Eon hired Boyle because of his supposedly great idea for the movie, they talked out every aspect of the plot. Including main villain’s nationality. I cannot believe that at this point they’d go to him and say “Danny, we’ve changed our minds. It must be Russian, not Middle Eastern guy (or vice versa)”. Or is it possible?

Perhaps the “great idea” was a consequence of an action Bond does or doesn’t follow through on, and not the actual plot itself? Just a guess on my part.