News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Hold the presses! :grin:

So itā€™s been pushed back for 3 months? I can live with that. Now Iā€™ll be able to watch the new film on my birthday :grin:

Hopefuly they get LĆ©a Seydoux back as wellā€¦

According to Empire, the release date has moved to 14th February 2020.

A welcome reprieve for the filmmakers, Iā€™m sure, and as a fan Iā€™m happy itā€™s only a few monthsā€™ delayed. But doesnā€™t a Valentineā€™s Day release sound a bit ugly?

As was Beasts of no Nation

I leave you alone for 5 minutesā€¦

Given what (it was rumoured) EON weā€™re looking for, he is perfect with both tv experience (so can thrive in a tighter schedule) and is both a writer and director (so he can make any alterations he wants himself and not have to outsource another writer)

So, with just a slight delay, we get a new intriguing director choice and a new Rian Johnson film starring Daniel Craig. Iā€™m counting this as a win win.

6 Likes

Yes and no. His script was finished and turned in (Iā€™ve read, itā€™s good but FAR more of the novel in there) but the fundeds where uncomfortable with the books sexual context, which Fukunagaā€™s script retained, so another writer was hired so as to remove the moreā€¦problematicā€¦aspects of Kingā€™s novel.

1 Like

Iā€™m not too bothered about the later release date. Will be strange to not have a usual Novemberish release but saying that I am pleased they have decided to push back. Hopefully a sensible, more pragmatic decision which will produce a better well-rounded film. I am excited.

2 Likes

Black Panther springs to mind when I think of the potential returns for a Feb release. That movie raked in a billion plus, so Iā€™m not surprised EON feel comfortable with that release window. Valentines Day might be a bit tricky, but weā€™ll see! Iā€™m just glad weā€™re back on with a slight delay and our lead still in place. This is an excellent choice for a director as well. We should be in for a show.

4 Likes

Logan was released in early March.

We all know what we are doing for Valentineā€™s Day 2020ā€¦ I am mentally preparing for WTF do you mean?

1 Like

News at last! An unexpected but inspired choice, True Detective season 1 was incredible.

Iā€™m loving the new release date, makes a nice change from the usual November slot.

Things can finally forge ahead!

EON came through with this surprising choice nobody had reported on - they must have perfect security measures, kudos for that, too!

Iā€™m slightly disappointed having to wait about four more months for a new Bond film. But itĀ“s all good for BOND 25, of course, getting this acclaimed director (a choice that cleverly will kill all the bad press due to BoyleĀ“s leaving, by the way), still moving forward with Daniel Craig as Bond (he could have left due to the avalanche of problems BoyleĀ“s departure created), and getting the necessary time to have a new director not jump on an already moving train but giving him the opportunity to actually steer that train.

The ValentineĀ“s day release date also is perfect - November/December 2019 already was too crowded with wanna be-blocklbusters which would have eaten into each other, And February has become a great launching pad for action and franchise films.

Two more things:

• EON and DC will now want to prove that Boyle-gate was not their fault, so they will go out of their way to accommodate Fukunaga. They cannot risk another pre-production disaster.

• With BOND 25 to be released in 2020 there still is the possibility for BOND 26 to become the 60th anniversary Bond in 2022. But with only two years between both it would appear unlikely that a new actor will take over in that time. So maybe BOND 25 will NOT become CraigĀ“s swan song after allā€¦

Still one more thing:

• At the time of the announcement of P&W writing the script now, EON must have known that Fukunaga is interested. He will probably rewrite P&WĀ“s draft or work together with them. In any event, it will be very exciting to get a Fukunaga-Bond.

Note to myself: Gotta watch his new Netflix series ā€œManiacā€ as soon as possible!

6 Likes

Great choice of director. And the timeframe is a good compromise - no QoS-style rush, but no prolonged gap eihter. This was pretty high stakes for EON, so I imagine they could both do wth a holiday right now. Iā€™ll permit them a wet weekend in Cleethorpes before they start the heavy lifting.

2 Likes

I have suggested it before , I do feel that Craig will do one more, Fukunagas Jane Eyre was, I thought, excellent as was Sin Nombre.

Also the announcement was made just after Craigā€™s UK paternity leave would officially end. "Family "

Well, he is filming JohnsonĀ“s project in Novemberā€¦

1 Like

Also the announcement comes a day before Maniac is released. Nice timing!

Wonder how long EON have had this deal struckā€¦?

5 Likes

Quite a while I suspect

This was such great news to wake up and find this morning! A bold choice that shows EON is still willing to work with name directors outside of standard conventions. I have personally never seen anything by Fukunaga, but plan to remedy that ASAP. Given that he has written most of the films he has directed, I would expect he may be the one personally polishing the P&W script at this point.

Fukunaga is the first American director, right?

Well put. I can live with this. Glad the directorā€™s chair has been filled!