News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Start with True Detective and you won’t be able to contain your excitement for Bond 25 (although it must be said the greatest aspect of the show is down to McConaughey)

3 Likes

Check Beasts of No Nation

2 Likes

Yes, first American and half Japanese as well. He directed all episodes of the new Netflix series “Maniac” with Emma Stone and Jonah Hill that launches tomorrow. That looks absolutely bonkers!

Grief. Never heard of the chap, nor of any rumblings of courtship, but others’ praise is indicative of huge expectation.

1st US director too. Finally, this wall has been broken… I always understood the sensibility behind the UK or Colonial directors, but to mitigate US directors was like mitigating an actor for portraying a killer - if he has never actually killed someone before. For my part, US directors might possibly do away with some of the stiffness of the Bond films.

1 Like

If he can bring that visual inventiveness to Bond 25 we may be in for something special…

4 Likes

With two films every 10 years, the meaningful anniversaries may need to be spread out a little further apart. Otherwise, every second film would be a ‘celebration’, and I feel the world would get fed up with that.

75th, 100th anniversaries are more likely.

3 Likes

See the comment posted by @secretagentfan

Interesting choice,
Loved TD and have enjoyed (to varying extents) all his other work
Bit disappointed in the new date;
I typically catch the movies at the Odeon LS when I’m back in the UK,
Feb will be a tough to make that happen…

Well, let’s cross that bridge (75th / 100th) if we come to that.

The 60th anniversary is something special since it will coincide with the anniversary for the first Bond film ever, as we all know. Not to use that for PR would be silly.

6 Likes

A bit more on Fukunaga from a very recent interview:

1 Like

Great news. I’ve never heard of Fukunaga before, but I am enthusiastic based solely on the responses here.

Also, I am THRILLED at the following two aspects of this:

1. Bond 25 is avoiding the overcrowded November '19 slot. With that much competition, I was honestly getting nervous.
  2. The delay is minor enough to not bother me (November '20 would have felt like such a nuisance) but big enough to seriously work out the kinks in the Bond 25 script and production process.

Also, as SAF mentioned, I hope this means Craig will come back for one more in 2022 (even though I’d rather they not advertise it as “60th anniversary”). Either Feb. or Nov. of 2022 would be close enough to Bond 25 that we won’t be in for another long wait, yet long enough to actually get out another film.

All in all, great news.

Pre-warning about the article there - It’s an entertaining read, but um…it’s writer clearly had a through line in mind and was going to stick to it, facts be damned.

But not more than a month - at least if the version is to be believed where Boyle literally walked out after just inspecting progress hours before at the studio.

Also, it will have taken a bit to make sure he’s free after his Netflix show; there could be a second season of Maniac after all.

And then he’s scheduled to adapt Kubrick’s Napoleon for Spielberg, provided he didn’t walk from that.

All in all I’m surprised Fukunaga, as much in demand as he is these days, was able to say yes to Eon on such short notice.

Yes, at least he was at that time. But that’s Kubrick’s Napoleon, a project that’s been dormant for decades. A little longer would not hurt, I suspect.

I knew something had happened when I wake up and log in and see 39 new posts LOL.

Fukunaga’s talent as a cinematographer could make for another visually compelling Bond movie which is always welcome.

6 Likes

It is credited as a limited series, which makes me think events in the series preclude it having a second season.

2 Likes

The advantage for BOND 25 probably is its pretty set schedule: the movie has to be prepared now and made next year. All the other projects are in a development phase. Especially the extremely difficult “Napoleon by Kubrick and Spielberg” which will be complex enough to have a very, very long prep phase (and financing has to be sorted out as well). Maybe Fukunaga will even depart that midway because Spielberg will want to involve himself in that project, definitely.

A second season of MANIAC might have to be pushed back - but it could also not happen at all. Netflix, fortunately in this case, does not have to adhere to specific time schedules and puts out new season when they are ready, not when they have to be programmed.

The internet is cruel.

2 Likes

I have a hard time seeing them get BOND 26 together in time to release in 2022. And I have a hard time seeing Craig agree to a 6th especially if it’s to shorten the time frame between pictures.

Which brings us to the always popular two-films/back-to-back vision fans are having for, like, ever…

No, I don’t see it either. But we must never underestimate the weird ways of showbizz.

1 Like