News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Most modern Bond films have been made in less than that time frame if we go by when they started production to release. The longer delays have been when they could start (whether financial or waiting for a specific director), not the production itself

I probably was overenthusiastic (for a change).

But still, I would find it weird if EON bypassed the 60th anniversary with no new film.

If Craig won’t return for BOND 26 (ha, we just were fretting about him not returning for 25), I could nevertheless imagine that EON will go full steam ahead with a new actor.

In any event, BOND 25 will give the franchise a new PR thrust, and that could better be sustained with a new actor following shortly. I mean… LALD followed DAF within two years, too. Yeah, yeah, different times. Then again, MGM would love it.

The pessimist in me, of course, says: the only thing we´ll get in 2022 for the anniversary will be a new blu ray boxset, probably the 6K-set.

I love the choice and the release date. A four month delayed is far better then an entire year and February is turning into prime real estate for big blockbusters. Deadpool, Black Panther, Kingsman, and more have shown that films can dominate in February plus we get Bond out of the overcrowded November.

The Valentine’s Day date may also work thematically with the film if Bond get’s married or is heartbroken again.

Fun fact: I saw Cary Fukunaga speak at the Austin Film Festival in 2014 when my thesis film was screening there.

I’m not worried about Craig or EON not making the Bond 26/60th anniversary milestone for two reasons:

• Timothy Dalton was introduces as 007 in the 15th, 25th anniversary film, so it would not be out of the question to introduce a new lead then;

• Not a peep out of EON or IFP in 2007.

1 Like

I can see the producers acknowledging Bond’s 60th with a small celebration/4K rerelease of the films but I would wait till the 75th Anniversary for a major blowout/new film etc. They don’t have to release a new film in 2022 but I would certainly welcome it.

Just realized I’ll be 55(!) when the 75th Anniversary rolls around.

2 Likes

Still kind of amazed they hired an American director, bucking a tradition of over 55 years.:open_mouth:

A subtle comment on Brexit maybe… :wink:

2 Likes

Excited by the choice. Doing my own analysis of tea leaves…exciting (young) director with some inspiring stuff on his resume. Most interested in that I’m sure he’s had every franchise thrown at him since Beasts and True Detective, and yet the one he’s doing is this one. Hopefully (obviously) he must feel good about the script, but also has a sense of how his vision meshes with a Bond film rather a Marvel or a Star Trek.

I know many of us are put off by the “auteur” label, but I for one was always more concerned by the “hack” moniker. Fukanaga is definitely no hack!

What I love about Fukanaga is that he his style is not as set as Boyle´s for example - he puts his talent in the service of the story. And this is what Bond needs.

Also… man, such a tracking shot as in TRUE DETECTIVE would be awesome for a Bond film.

1 Like

Well, The Alienist, Big Little Lies…there have been some cases where the creators were surprised by their own success. Here I think the important part is that Fukunaga created Maniac himself (with help). If he’s got nothing more to say then that’s it from his side. And if he could open that story again he has no hurry with Netflix, they could pick it up again whenever they liked, provided it was successful enough.

Good times for creatives.

1 Like

Well now… this is delightful and unexpected news. I have absolutely no idea who Fukanaga is…never seen any of his stuff, so this will be a new experience for me. The best case scenario has happened in my opinion from this whole Danny Boyle debacle. I am so glad its only a 3 month delay in terms of filming and release day. March 4, 2019 happens to be only 5 days away from my 41st birthday so having Bond back in action will make for a great birthday gift…hah! :sunglasses: As to the Feb 14th, 2020 release day… AT LAST I’ll have a Valentines Day to look forward to… just kidding… :grin: Actually it will be VERY refreshing to have a Bond coming out at a different time of year, rather than the traditional Oct/Nov or Summer (as they used to do) releases. Plus…hmm… 2022 is the 60th anniversary of Dr. No. Perfect time to launch 007 No. 7 in Bond 26? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think so, too. And maybe that new time slot will be even better for future Bond films since the November date is always sought after and becomes a problem when the December blockbusters take away from its business.

Also, it will be nice to have this “fresh new year” feeling with a new Bond, instead of the “it´s getting darker and colder outside”. And… it’ll probably get a really meaty trailer around Christmas, when all the big releases can push it.

Very pleased with the choice of director for many of the reasons already mentioned.

The release date is also a pleasing move that should establish Bond25 as the first major blockbuster of 2020 and an interesting proposition from a marketing point of view being Valentines Day.

Now what are the odds of one of the following to be used within the title - ‘Passion’ ‘Love’ or ‘Heart’?

This forum now…

So…we’re somehow in a better position than we where before?

6 Likes

Some further speculation from Variety:

1 Like

Is Fukanaga > Boyle?

Different, yes, but not better. A great choice though.

Fearmongering creates clicks…

2 Likes

Well, depends how we define ‘before’.

If before just means when Boyle was still on board, then we’re in much the same place with just a slight delay and minus Boyle’s supposedly intriguing idea, whatever that had been.

But if we’re looking at ‘before’ as the time immediately after Boyle went his own way… Then we were looking at a potentially crippling delay for BOND 25, maybe a whole year, possibly at a busted deal with Universal, Craig’s return in doubt, so on so forth.

From that point of view we’re in a decidedly improved position now, even considering that Fukunaga can be just as much given to his vision as Boyle.

4 Likes

I would agree, I meant the forum. As a mass the response seems more positive.

2 Likes

Indeed, i got your witty observation. I was replying to the forum, as it were :slight_smile:

1 Like