News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Just a wild thought, but if you’re right about this having been a known issue to those on the inside could it have influenced Boyle’s decision to bail out?

1 Like

This article is interesting

My guess: no. This is something that the higher ups kept to themselves. As a producer I certainly would not have told my fickle director: Hey, you know what? This distributor is having major financial troubles. But it could be worse. It´s not like we´re having disagreements on casting decisions or something like that…

I just hope that Annapurna drops the other films because they want/need to put all their financial power (that is left) into a sure-fire hit like BOND 25.

Re: Annapurna - perhaps those two particular films were ‘dropped’ so that Barnard could take them with her. Or perhaps it was a bitter separation, and the other executives really didn’t like those projects.

Or perhaps they dropped these expensive, star-driven projects in order to keep Bond 25’s funding. Or perhaps MGM forced their hand for the same reason.

In any case, it would suggest they’re keen on Bond 25.

1 Like

“Kids, you said the movie business will make us even richer. Now it doesn’t?”

1 Like

It would make sense to focus only on Bond if Annapurna has money problems. The other movies on their slate might generate great reviews and modest box office at best. But BOND 25 is the one they can survive on.

Unless they are already downhill and can’t even do that.

Which would be the worst case scenario here. But I imagine that then one of the other contenders would take over quickly.

Unless there are contractual obligations resulting in litigation and/or Annapurna financiers won’t let go of their piece of Bond cake that easily…

In other words: PANIC. But don’t really panic.

2 Likes

The key question is: what are the details of Annapurna‘s distribution deal with MGM? How is the projected distribution joint venture supposed to work and who finances the thing? Are there side deals for BOND 25? How much have Annapurna put up front and what sum is still pending? How are projected profits supposed to split?

We suppose of course that BOND 25 is THE deal and will earn its creators and studio huge profits. But there’s absolutely no guarantee it couldn’t still be a bad deal for Annapurna. Just ask Sony how this could happen.

The constellation of MGM/Annapurna for the US distribution and Warner for the rest of the world is a peculiar one. It signaled right from the start that MGM/Annapurna wasn’t yet fit enough to pull the whole thing. It’s possible Annapurna’s side of the deal is to provide the funds MGM would not get out of Warner for their share of the profits - but if Annapurna is likewise in a tight spot…

2 Likes

We should change the name of this thread to “Bond 25 News: NOW What??”

1 Like

Indeed. Very peculiar, all of this.

To think that there could be a studio which distributes Bond films regularly all over the world…

Oh, silly me…

It’s filmmaking, we all need to relax, like Babs says, “no concerns”

But it sounds like something a pro like her would say.

Agreed. But I just wanted to emphasise that things are going ahead with Bond 25, regardless of Annapurna being the biggest load of s***

2 Likes

that article doesn’t mention Annapurna issues so hard to say if they were even aware of it - I think they are only referring to Boyle by the sounds - prob just a quick interview at a red carpet or something like that, but BB is probably not worried just yet until she gets a bad phonecall from Annapurna

The fact Annapurna is not mentioned suggests this is regurgitated fluff… But am sure the pro that she is means she would have mentioned the same, irrespective of such developments.

Deary me…

1 Like

Warner? I thought it was Universal.

1 Like

Is it really this hard to make a Bond film?

Apparently, yes, it is. :rofl::weary:

Looks like Annapurna wanted Bond because their company needed a surefire box office hit to keep them afloat. If they fold before Bond 25 comes out Universal will probably step in to distribute domestically as well.

3 Likes

Universal, indeed.

And if they needed it that badly it makes you wonder what they promised MGM in order to win this make or break deal. More than they can deliver? It seems so.

1 Like

Okay, we can all relax. This is from Variety:

"Annapurna is hoping that its distribution joint venture with MGM will help improve its financial picture. Its upcoming boxing sequel “Creed II,” starring Michael B. Jordan, is expected to score with audiences when it bows in late November and Annapurna is optimistic about Bond 25, the 007 sequel for which it beat out several major studios to grab domestic distribution rights. However, the Bond movie is not scheduled for release until Valentine’s Day 2020.

Annapurna earns a distribution fee for the Bond film, but had to make certain concessions to get the deal. Namely, the studio’s title card will not appear in front of the film. A source close to Annapurna said that is true of all MGM titles released under the distribution pact and helps with branding. Should Annapurna find itself unable or unwilling to release the new Bond, the film’s international distributor Universal would be a likely candidate to release the film."

7 Likes