News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

McQuarrie nails it again.

EON, time to secure him for BOND 26.

2 Likes

But then follows it with “Sean Connery was the gold standard”

The man who hated being Bond.

2 Likes

Not true. Connery loved being Bond until he felt sold out by EON. If they had catered to him like they do now to Craig Connery would have loved to continue.

3 Likes

Small aside - McQuarrie is referring to the tone of Craig’s Bond films, not Craig’s personal feelings on the role. That love of his life that Moore and Brosnan went for, versus the more broken man Craig has where Bond is looking for a way out if (to use a OHMSS quote) he “can find something better to do”

Also, how smug must EON feel that McQuarrie can’t promote the home release of his spy film without the conversation turning to Bond?

2 Likes

Oh. I read that line, of course, according to my personal beef with Craig. Still, I agree with that meaning, too.

As for smugness - nah, I don’t think EON cares. Bond is the benchmark. It´s only natural that journalists raise that topic. And McQuarrie obviously loves to talk about it instead of asking the journalist to move on to another question.

The man stuck a DB5 at an Mi6 meeting it Rogue Nation. I’m sure he was fine with it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree wholeheartedly! I definitely read it as the character hating his life, emo Bond so to speak, Craig’s been a fantastic ambassador for Bond imo. If you look at the interviews where he jokes about only doing the next one for money , they are remarkably similar to those given by Moore in the 80s

Glad to hear long overdue Brosnan appreciation. IMHO Brosnan has become the underrated Bond.

7 Likes

He is what made me love the series…specifically the caviar factory in TWINE.

“Now…where were we?”

My favourite Brossa scene by a mile is the face-off with Onatopp in the roman bath…

Xenia Onatopp: You don’t need the gun, Commander.

James Bond: Well, that depends on your definition of safe sex.

After some well choreographed fighting…

James Bond: [Bond points a pistol at Onatopp] No, no, no. No more foreplay.

Bond is very rarely better than this. It’s a perfectly, written, directed, performed and cut scene. It’s fun, while remaining gritty and not at all cheesy

4 Likes

Brosnan’s performance in that scene, right down to his line pacing, is perfect.

“No, no, no…(clicks the gun) no more fore play”

3 Likes

He has some of the best kills in the series, specifically Kauffman, Elektra, and (IMO) Carver.

Kauffman- “Wait, I’m just a professional doing a job.”
Bond- “Me too.” Bang.

Bond shoots Elektra. “I never miss.”

Bond ruthlessly holding a screaming Elliot in front of his seadrill. “You forgot the first rule of mass media Elliot, give the people what they want!”

2 Likes

Critics are eager to pigeonhole and caricature people with defined narratives, however such broad stroke commentary neglects subtlety. If anyone thinks Brosnan didn’t bring humanity to the character (and that also goes for the writers) they’re mistaken.

The “it’s what keeps me alive” speech, his injured shoulder and NK imprisonment spring to mind. Mourning a dead body (Paris and Elektra) also gives him depth. But it’s not overplayed or lingered upon too much.

For all the complaints people level at the Brosnan era, I think they did strike a pretty good balance, especially considering the era they were released in. They knew people loved and wanted the playboy superhero action hero, so that’s what they emphasised. But for critics to say the Brosnan era didn’t have depth is wrong. It’s actually where some of these Craig era concepts grew.

5 Likes

Yep, a lot of the seeds for the Craig era were planting during the Brosnan era. Audiences weren’t quite ready for it with Dalton but EON did gradually work some more mature and darker elements into the Brosnan films.

I can’t help but wonder what Die Another Day would have been if they had stuck to the tone of the first half. They had a good political thriller going with Graves being politically connected and Bond a burnt agent. An untouchable villain vs an unaccountable agent. Would have been an excellent film.

DAD is still watchable but the pieces are greater than the whole.

4 Likes

Brosnan’s look of disgust when he dispatches henchmen in banker’s office during PTS of TWINE also demonstrates his subtlety and professionalism towards the role.

4 Likes

Some comments from MGM and Annapurna about their future, bolstered (for now) by the success of CREED II:

4 Likes

“This leads to the domestic release of the 25th James Bond film that Cary Fukunaga is directing with Daniel Craig reprising for February 14, 2019.”

Deadline still living in the Boyle/Hodge cinematic universe.

2 Likes

They corrected it.

3 Likes

By the way - studios execs love to kid themselves and the press that everything is going hunky dory when one film performs well.

But I doubt that CREED II (while definitely generating CREED III in the future) will be the start of a string of mega-successes for MGM. BOND 25, yeah. LEGALLY BLONDE 3 - no. A DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS remake? C´mon. Even the great Michael B. Jordan appearing in a THOMAS CROWN remake (oh, man - they did not get a sequel to the Brosnan film off the ground and think they can pull this one off?) seems a shaky bet.

Naw, MGM is still dependent on one thing only: BOND.

CREED III might still bring in the big money. But how many CREEDs will they really be able to make? I imagine Jordan, getting showered with offers right now, will not want to go on after part III. Although I’m sure MGM is already thinking of spinning off that spin-off.

Full disclosure: as long as Stallone is part of these films I will be interested.

6 Likes

Quite. Film success is poker, not chess.

2 Likes