News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

It’s been a pretty grotty day at work today so thank you for making me chuckle with this one!!:clap::joy:

Personally I couldn’t care less what the BFI thinks regarding Bond, nor the click-bait backlash. But I do find it tiresome that almost every villain needs a physical issue. Craig’s encountered blood tears, phantom of the cyanide opera and another eye issue post helicopter crash.

Do we really need another villain who’s ocularly challenged?

Isn’t good dialogue, direction and performance enough?

It certainly is one trope I would not miss.

They make him even cooler!!! Best henchperson since Xenia Onatop

1 Like

Judge me not by the derangement of my eye but by the content of my character.

1 Like

Probably for the best regarding Lupita Nyong’o. I feel like I keep saying this but I believe roles like that are better suited to lesser known actors. Lupita Nyong’o already has an Oscar as well as roles in Black Panther and Star Wars (even if that was motion capture). A role like this could be a great opportunity for someone new.

I’m wondering what we can learn from Lupita Nyong’o consideration though? It’ll be interesting to see what other names come up in the next few week.

Well, there is the Ajak Deng rumour. The African-Australian model looks a bit like Nyong’o, and if it’s true that she auditioned for a role, it could mean they’re specifically looking for an actress with a body type that is commonly found in East Africa. Deng has roots in South Sudan, Nyong’o has roots in the neighbouring Kenya. But it’s a big IF, because the article about Denk’s audition sounds a bit too much like self-promoting.

Here is the original interview with Ajak Deng from November 2017:

Screen test: Melbourne model Ajak Deng auditioned for Bond girl role
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/screen-test-melbourne-model-ajak-deng-auditioned-for-bond-girl-role/news-story/c3710751cacbe164818a7be5b48e4bec

MELBOURNE model Ajak Deng has had a Bond girl moment, revealing she went for a role in the yet-to-be-released new James Bond film.

The statuesque beauty, who made a whistlestop visit back to Australia from her New York base last week, revealed she tested for a role in the yet to be released new James Bond film.

“I am studying acting and have gone to castings for some amazing roles,” she said.

“I tested for one of the Bond girls for the new James Bond movie, but … they told me I was too pretty for the role. It was so good just to have that experience.

1 Like

How diplomatic of them :wink:

4 Likes

I like the idea of unknowns when it comes to roles whether Bond girl, villain, henchmen or even Bond himself. George was certainly unknown, and as for Daniel and Timothy, being in the USA myself, I had to do some digging but by the time Daniel came about, it was far easier to get a feel for him.

Remember when a Bond film made someone a star? Granted, it is nice that major talent and award winners want to do Bond but I don’t think it always has to be the case.

4 Likes

Interesting, I did miss the Ajak Deng rumour. It could well be fabricated, promoting yourself as a Bond girl is a great way to get free press.

I did wonder if Lupita Nyong’o pointed towards a Bond girl from Africa or African decent. However if anyone remembers Non-Stop (plane hijack thriller with Liam Neeson) then you’ll also know that she’s capable of a British accent so could theoretically be up for the British agent character.

1 Like

There does appear to be a strong African connection running through this latest batch of news and rumours. At least as far as the casting goes, I don’t recall hearing Africa mentioned as a location.

Over the last films going back to SF and even TWINE there were always a lot of rumors about South Africa and Johannesburg that kept popping up. I always took them to be reports confusing the continuation novels with the films.

Yes. Me too.

I do think the Eon crew do unleash some (to me and perhaps us, at least) some true gems from the ‘unknown’.

The star power has some sort of attraction to the immediate and the one-time viewers. I am sure this is what drives MGM et al to the Denise Richards and Halle Berry allure.

But for those who watch and re-watch, the unknown is a real treat. Berenice Marlohe, for example?

1 Like

And yet, there have as yet been no indications of African locations…?

Norway, Jamaica, Canada, Greece, Italy… have all been mentioned.

Purvis and Wade said this in January 2017:

Each time, you’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world, which is Britain’s place in the world.

So if there’s an African thread, could it have something to do with human trafficking/the European migrant crisis? Just like terrorism was a subplot in CR. Or is that too political for a Bond film?

1 Like

As for the possibility of a blind villain, I’ll just say Chirrut from Rogue One, while a heroic character, is easily my favourite Force user from the Star Wars saga. There’s a philosophical and deep manner about him which I’d love to see for Bond. Blind physically, but mentally still being a skilled threat.

So still NO United Arab Emirates for Bond. When will that ever happen. Mission Impossible already did that with Ghost Protocol and how many years ago was that? Why is that Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli might want African. What could be the happening in Africa, unless it only just part of the story.

Goldeneye Reloaded has a level in Dubai.

1 Like