News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

I think the back image represents the shadow side of Bond–the governmental/robotic assassin who comes in the pleasing guise of Daniel Craig in a white tuxedo jacket (so DAF).

1 Like

I just realized that, at least in the USA, there hasn’t been a Bond villain or henchman on a poster in twenty years! Not since TWINE.

DAD’s poster featured the villains but I think this was only an International poster only.

1 Like

Yea, it depends on who they use. Empire makes them look uniform and simple, very bland. IMO, it makes them look too corporate. The Super Bowl logos for the last 9 years have had the same issue. Landor designs those and since Super Bowl XLV they have been pretty boring and deliberately corporate-looking, especially the last 3 (LI, LII, LIII).

1 Like

Great call. That’s is exactly what has happened to Bond posters.

With the Bond posters (QoS, SF, SP), save for the first Spectre teaser poster, they have absolutely nothing to do with the plot. QoS has Bond just staring at the screen with a gun that he doesn’t even use in the movie (unless it’s the one he uses for 2 seconds during the PTS). SF just has Bond walking towards the screen or wearing a blue velvet suit that he never wears in the film. SP’s first teaser features the SPECTRE logo in broken glass which is a great, albeit on-the-nose teaser. However, the next posters feature Bond just staring at the camera. Some do feature the Day of the Dead imagery from the PTS, but that is only 6 minutes of a 2 1/2 hour film.

To be fair on Bond, I think most film posters are now like of a like. Back in the day (ie, before the internet!!!) the poster, either on the billboard or in print, was a primary driver of a film’s publicity. Now I’d offer that it’s the trailer and teaser trailer that are the cornerstones of a publicity campaign - the poster taking up space in the cinema lobby, little more.

2 Likes

I would agree. Probably why the main poster is phoned in, I imagine many cinemas only buy the teaser poster.

The Skyfall IMAX poster is kinda cool. Been meaning to get a framed one.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, in this day and age, the fact is that the ‘still image’, or the poster, has very little impact, or impression, on the selling of a film,

Everything is ‘moving image’. And, while YouTube is flying high, perhaps it really shouldn’t.

There is a shift towards the ‘moving poster’ in mediums that offer digital postery. Bus shelters with the options for minimal movement of a poster design. One must ask, why is this ‘still image poster’ even a consideration when, if today’s functionality offers poster movement, why not just showcase a mini teaser sequence?

So, if moving imagery is the way forward in movie marketing, why is the still image of a poster even a consideration? It must surely be redundant…

As someone who loves this poster artform, of years gone by, I am now suggesting, Do away with the poster altogether. It is not needed, and even if it does appear, it is now sucking hind tit to all the more modern forms of advertising.

All this to say, Empire Designs is no longer needed. And I no longer need to collect paper posters.

1 Like

Because, against the bottom line though it may end up being, it still matters to cinemas and home video. As technology advances, the need for still images for both will vanish, but as of now, the need is still there, and so studios feel required to accommodate.

Though as a fan of both Bond and things to frame, I’m selfishly saying, long may it continue.

1 Like

Some news for awhile. It’s there, just scroll down a bit. It is Bond 25 related.

Be careful, there is a potential spoiler in there.

1 Like

Oops sorry.:zipper_mouth_face:

Totally disagree here.

The poster is the key art, an identifier for any film. It appears on the home video cover or even the tiny stamp-like thing for the streaming platform.

Also, I damn sure love filmposters on my wall.

4 Likes

Your Quantum Of Solace image was not the final U.S. poster. That one featured an equally brownish tint with Bond and Camille walking away from a smoking Perla de las Dunas building in the distance. Neither image is particularly exciting.

But yeah, the recent final posters have all been terrible. The worst of the lot being Licence To Kill, Die Another Day, and Skyfall. I still can’t believe for their 40th anniversary film that for the final U.S. poster EON and company came up with a partial image of Bond and Jinx aiming a gun–and not even at the viewer mind you! Plus, it was the exact same image as the teaser poster!!! I remember seeing that teaser and thinking that’s pretty bland but the final poster should be better. Well the “joke” was on me/us. :angry:

We haven’t had a decent final poster in the U.S. since Tomorrow Never Dies or a good one since GoldenEye. It’s very disappointing/frustrating/infuriating. It wouldn’t be so bad if we wouldn’t have such great (hand drawn) posters from 1962-1985. So we know it can be done, and it is such a strong part of Bond history, it just leaves a very bad taste in the mouth, particularly since the recent outputs have been so vanilla/uninspiring that they appear to have been done by Joe Schmo from next door. (Whereas, ironically, many of the teaser posters–particularly in the Brosnan era–as has been pointed out have been pretty good.)

Additionally, I can’t understand why if they’re going to put simple photos/photoshopped images on the posters, why they can’t do something like Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens or Avengers: Infinity War final posters. Those two are basically Bond-style posters of the 60s through the 80s modernized. If we were to get something like that, while not as good as the hand drawn old days, it would at least keep the spirit of the original (and great) 007 posters alive.

This. Totally agree.

The AMC theater I go to always has still posters framed on the walls–this at a theater where the concession menus are on HDTV monitors in constant flux and motion. Wonder why they haven’t made the same shift for promoting upcoming movies.

I don’t mind the Skyfall poster with Bond in the tube that much. It’s iconic and is related to a scene with the Underground in the movie. The teaser for TWINE with the girl on fire and her outline drawing Bond’s silhouette was quite striking, and won an award. But the rest were underwhelming for sure.

I never noticed the villains not appearing on the later posters. Great observation! One thing I have noticed is there is a gun in each and every one, teaser, US, international, with the one exception being SPECTRE’s teaser though a gun is implied by the bullet hole.

The gun being prominent on the poster might actually be a demand by Walther/Smith & Wesson. Or a ‘favour’ to them. While this is actually a concession to a limited market getting more crowded with diminishing numbers of customers, it’s still probably a small kick to their sales figures. And since the iconography is already established it’s not as if anybody would have to bend over backwards.

Villains and other characters only get their due in the individual one sheets these days for Bond. With the final poster being a one sheet of Bond himself. I’d like to see the one sheet mentality done away with. I’m a fan of giving the film as a whole representation on the page like the old Bond days, or even how the Marvel Studios films do right now. There’s a balancing act in terms of not making a poster too busy, but as we know, it can be done. It’s not as visually bland either.

its all cyclical - we’ve just been through a very modern minimalist phase, i wouldn’t be surprised if we come back around and start getting more intricate, artistic posters - and things like you would see out of places like Mondo which are highly sought after

Agreed on much of all this. My walls are adorned with about a dozen plus one sheets and quads running through the series. I haven’t minded the teasers as of late (CR, SF and GE among my favorites simply because of their minimalism) but the final release have been lacking. TSWLM is certainly of it’s time as is LALD, but they are epic and reflect all the key elements of said films. I’d like to see that return.

The final for MI: Rogue Nation impressed me when I first saw it larger than life on billboard driving home. While a bit busy with the characters, it reminded me of what Bond used to be like.

3 Likes