News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Absolutely awful. Pitiful. If it’s true, hopefully if we criticise it enough, Eon will go with something else. Craig needs a good word salad title before he bows out. Eon needs to consider how titles will look listed one after the other on the back of a Blu Ray box set.

Space Bear goes really well after The Force Awakens on my shelf…

And this trailer for “Fall From George” looks interesting…https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYtuKyMtY8

Its just the shooting “codename” they give while theyre filming - theres no way they call it eclipse

2 Likes

I don’t read that way! He certainly makes it clear that his reason for leaving was Eons attempt to foist another writer into Boyle & Hodge’s partnership. But the reason Eon wanted to do that appears to be (from Boyle’s comments) because of the story.

Boyle says that he thought what he and hodge were doing with the story was good. To me that infers that Eon wanted to change the story. Were those changes about the death of Bond? We still don’t know that one way or the other.

Also the fact that he doesn’t want to talk story in case CJF is still going that way again suggests to me that story was an unresolved issue; not script lock, or dialogue, but story: a major story beat, or a major character that’s essential to a particular story.

The editorial agrees:

Boyle confirms here that they did not have a final shooting script at the time of the split, so it would indicate that EON may have also had issues with the direction the script was taking with their ideas and concepts for the film.

While I’m inclined to see it that way too, what’s certain from the mi6 article is that nothing is certain. In fact the article definately thinks that Boyle’s departure was indeed about the story.

As for the working title, I’d say it’s just that and a pretty poor show if it was even considered for anything else.

Surprised people are going bananas over a working title. Calm down- it won’t be Eclipse or Shatterhand!

I’m still hoping for Beyond the Ice

2 Likes

Quite.

I understood the working title for one of the recent Star Wars films was Red Box (or Red Hat). Calm down folks…

I am still hoping for Shatterhand AND I expect it to still be Shatterhand despite the denials

It’s not Khan, it’s not Khan, it’s not, it’s not, it’s not… it’s KHAN!

What could possibly go wrong?! :woozy_face:

But that was Mi6’s take on Empire’s take. Boyle actual words keep coming back to EON wanting a new writer

I learned quite a lot about myself working with Bond. I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up…You have to believe in your process and part of that is the partnership I have with a writer. It’s like saying ‘Hey, we are going to give you a different editor…’ Those fundamental partnerships are vital."

Also, if it was the idea, why would Boyle think it might still turn up?

So we decided to part company, and it would be unfair of me to say what it was because I don’t know what Cary is going to do.

Absolutely - just saying that i agree with them.

Indeed, but why did they wanted one? That’s still unknown.

I doubt it’s Hodges’ dialogue and i doubt he had difficulties with character development, but if he did then that could probably be tweaked without needing a new writer. Makes more sense to me that a producer wants a new writer to rewrite story; to do something the current team won’t or (unlikely) can’t do.

Anyhow, we’re all still hearing what we want to hear and speculating. No definitive reason for rewrites is given.

All it really says is that Eon may have dumped the disputed element of the story. Boyle left and Eon had another writer do a pass at an alternative. Boyle probably doesn’t know how that turned out; did they manage it, or did they revert to his version after failing? He’s just saying he doesn’t know.

Whether that dispute was over the death of Bond we only have tabloids to go by. The death of Bond may never have been part of Boyle’s script. Or, it may have been part of it, but wasn’t the part that was disputed and therefore may still be.

Eclipse… why not?

2 Likes

Fair question, considering the almost unanimous, but for the most part unqualified response (myself included)!

There’s something special about the best Bond titles that only Fleming, it seems, could come up with; Something bizarre, sinister, or ethereal that tells you it’s a Bond story, rather than another action-spy potboiler.

Eclipse isn’t that. However, it’s a damned sight better than having ‘Die’ in the title.

Damn, there was a Twilight movie with that title.

So… no.

2 Likes

Its a bit generic doesnt really scream Bond to me - more of a sci fi title to me - could be the name of a weapon or a plan in the film though… and yes (edit) Twilight haha

Everyone: Waltz is Blofeld!
EON: No he’s not, he’s Oberhauser.
Everyone: No he’s Blofeld.
EON: No he’s Oberhauser.
Everyone: Right, but he’s actually Blofeld.
EON: No Oberhauser is a totally different character.
Everyone: Okay, but the film is called Spectre and you have Cristoph Waltz as the villain, you’re telling me it’s not actually Blofeld! ?
EON: Yes, that’s what I’m, that’s um, it’s that, that’s…um erm that’s our story.
Everyone: Did you learn nothing from Star Trek Into Darkness?
EON: look we’re telling the truth swearsy realsies!
Everyone: Ugh fine he’s Oberhauser. eye roll
EON: Oh my god he’s Blofeld! Can you believe it? we totally super fooled you! Bwahahahaha!
Everyone: shaking our heads didn’t learn anything.

5 Likes

I understand a German translation of eclipse is die Finsternis, so that would. Sorta.

1 Like

I’ll go with the ‘Filming as’ title as opposed to ‘working title’ theory. Then again, it is a ‘could be’ in some respects. Were it not for the novels, Thunderball would have been pretty far out there along with Moonraker. Possibility that, like TB, it could be the code name for the operation or assignment.

April 1st is only another 11 days and then we’ll have some solid answers to at least a few things.

3 Likes

I highly doubt the film will be called Eclipse. Shatterhand makes sense for what it seems the story is going to be and even though Babs signed a poster saying that it isn’t the official title, I’m not sold. It would complete the trilogy of Skyfall - Spectre - Shatterhand with another one word “s” title. It probably would mean that Blofeld will likely return whether as Waltz or someone else. It’s not like they haven’t denied something we already figured out before cough Eve is Moneypenny Oberhauser is Blofeld cough.

1 Like

:clap:

:clap:

Nature of the film business is to be secretive on major franchises. Bond has it a bit more easy in the sense that the Bond Cinematic Universe (hmm. BCU. I like that. If Marvel can have MCU, this might be good and fair is fair) is a contemporary present day setting, filming somewhere minus any car chases or explosions, they can call it whatever on location as opposed to Marvel, DC, SW or LOTR where if you’re filming and people are swinging light sabers or Captain America is in costume and flinging a shield left and right, you can’t really bluff.

Long ago last century, I went to pick up a friend at LAX at the Bradley (International) terminal one night. It was February. There was a film crew set up in half the main terminal and a huge Christmas tree and all the extras were wearing heavy winter clothing. I asked a security guy what they were filming and was told “AT&T commercial”. While waiting to get through security (back when you still could go to the gates pre 9-11) they rolled. I watched from above and then saw Bruce Willis stroll in through the doors lighting a smoke as he did while shaking off fake snow from his jacket. DIE HARD 2…Brought to you by AT&T… Right.

At this point, it may end up being Shatterhand. BB doesn’t play as much poker as MGW and he’s better at bluffing. At least he knows when to give it up. “And now the worst kept secret in Hollywood, the title is…” Always loved that.

7 Likes