News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

If true it indicates that the story will pick up where SPECTRE lefr rhings off.

And I would love Bellucci to return.

Especially if she turned out to be Irma Bunt…

I feel she was under-used and would love to see her back. It’s like her character’s brief appearance left a thread that still dangles. To be honest, I was expecting a bigger twist from her character - that she was either going to be Irma Bunt, or even Blofeld, with Waltz being an obvious distraction for the latter. Guess I have too much imagination. But should she return and provide something bigger to the mix I’d be very happy.

It gets better…

Ah yes, the mirror…the pinnacle of journalistic integrity…

It’s the old magician’s trick. Make 100 predictions and claim to be a genius when one of them comes true.

That said, I’d love Monica Bellucci to return in any capacity. Bond gave her Felix’s contact details before he left for the SPECTRE meeting, so that could be a hook in Bond 25.

Assuming the Spectre storyline continues, her character could have additional info about the organization that she imparts to the CIA, and Felix could loop Bond in to foil some big operation. It’d be great to have him back too.

Wow, and not once they mention “Moonraker”. Fine journalism indeed.

Apart from that, I do think that people like Elon Musk and his real if idiotic plans to colonize Mars really are interesting for Bond writers, so there might be some kernel of truth in this. Just not Bond going into space again.

Anyway…

Dennis Gassner is returning. He mentioned it in passing during an interview with ICG magazine whilst discussing his work on Blade Runner 2049.

“With franchises, you have to honor the established elements while meeting audience expectations. I’m about to do my fourth James Bond film, and acknowledging the efforts of Ken Adam and others is a big part.”

I can’t find it on their website, but they do have their Deakins interview from the same feature if you fancy a look. http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/humanity-2-0/

Things is - the director is always hired before these people are, as it is directors choice. so whilst Gassner, as their new go-to production designer following Lamonts retirement, doesn’t indicate who the director is as much as, say, Nathan Crowley would, it does mean EON do probably have a director hired, they just aren’t ready to announce yet.

Hmm - but why don´t they announce the director then?

And it might also be possible that EON hires the staff because they have their tradition of longstanding working relationships and will insist on keeping those people, regardless of the director´s wishes.

Anyway, which director would not like to work with Gassner etc.?

This is true, he’s not what you call little leagues, but editor, production designer, composer and director of photography are always directors choice, to the point I don’t think EON even have a go to director of photography or editor - David Arnold has said a few times it was blind luck that 5 directors in a row didn’t have a go-to composer of their own. I suspect it’s the studio that’s meaning they can’t officially hire a director, but he or she has already started work - similar to Mendes “consultant with eye to direct” on Skyfall

This rings true imo.

Plus, I don’t think Craig would’ve announced his return unless he already knew who his director would be.

For your entertainment, here’s an article on Nolan’s suitability for Bond

Does James Bond Need Christopher Nolan?

This is the fourth article in as many days I’ve seen with a mistake that you could’ve noticed just by typing into google - I’d normally let it slide, but this mistake makes their point null and void. Type SPECTRE into IMDB, then type pretty much any Chris Nolan film since 05 into IMDb, notice how many names are the same. Nolan sought many of them out BECAUSE of Bond, they then added other Nolan regulars over the course of Craig’s run, including the cinematographer of Nolan’s last two films (give a wave to the exact mistake that bugged me)

They also will fully ignore many characters just to make their point once, but that one doesn’t annoy me as much as the one above, which I know most on this forum noticed as the amount of crew modern Bond and Nolan films have in common has been remarked on more than once around here.

Entertainment journalism is not known for researching facts. And the whole Bond-Nolan thing is merely clickbait anyway.

Yes, it´s been reported that EON and Nolan met. But they meet with lots of directors and other talent.

The best way to avoid frustration about these articles is to avoid them completely.

1 Like

About the only reporter I put any credence in for Bond rumors is Baz Bamigboye - outside of that I’ll just wait until 2019…

All a good bit of buzz, but as the saying goes “A lot of smoke there, but there is some fire.”

PD is a big part and especially with Bond, so this news means one thing for certain. There’s a script.

A Production Designer has to know what they have to design… Right?

i.e. A director has been agreed to but just not announced, and, further to that point, a distributor has been set.

I’m probably reaching here, but…

Not reaching - it´s safe to say that P&W have delivered at least the one draft that got things going, DC to sign on and the EON machine to start turning its wheels.

The mystery of the late start date and the not announced director will be explained soon, I believe, unless they want to go the same time-pressure route as before, with production starting at the end of 2018.

It would definitely make sense to give them more time for post-production, so I go out on a limb here and predict that production will start in summer of 2018. Which would lead to an announcement of director and cast at the beginning of 2018.

It would be wonderful to get an early Christmas present by November or December in the form of a Press Conference announcing the production, cast and title for the new Bond.

One can hope

I think director announcement is the only one thing they’ll feasibly announce before the years out, maybe the studio, but given how Bond films (certainly the Brosnan/Craig films) only announnce officially just before they start filming (or day of in Skyfall’s case) we’re a long way off knowing any cast beyond Daniel Craig.

A longer lead time also gives them more time to rework the script, just in case. The t problems with the first Spectre script kind of ambushed Eon and caused, IIRC, time crunches in several areas. They’re probably eager not to repeat that experience.

1 Like