News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Maybe that alone is the reason for the late release date - they really have to set up this whole distribution and marketing alliance from the ground up, and that takes time in order to be as effective as it needs to be.

In any event, finally things seem to fall into place.

But I agree with you, dalton: when MGM will have to sell Bond it will be the best thing that can happen to the enterprise.

Yep, it seems that MGM are prepared to drag Bond down the plug hole with them.

It makes sense to get this deal right, until you consider that it’s a stand alone deal only for B25.

Am i correct in recalling that B26 will require a whole new deal?

Right…so Bond 7 actor will have just been born if he’s going to be the right age for when Bond 26 gets made.

I imagine there’s a lot of swearing going on in EON offices at the moment.

1 Like

This situation calls for some strong leadership… and a pirhanna tank🐟

Hard to say from the snippets of information available so far.

I could imagine that the idea was “only for B25” before this decision was made.

To start this process again for B26 onwards would be weird since MGM certainly wants to keep going with this distribution model.

I also think that this was a reaction to tough negotiations with the other studios who will probably have wanted a better deal than Sony had before and which MGM was not willing to give. Hence they probably said: Then we´ll do it on our own, and this new and hungry Annapurna-entity will have been eager to jump on board for less money (which still is bigger than they could have earned without Bond).

Film stars don’t die in Liverpool screens in Liverpool tonight, with a q&a with “the director, producers and Stars”

Who wants to put money on whether Bond turns up in the conversation?

Could probably have done without this

As someone posted below the article, it could be WB playing hardball and throwing down the gauntlet; give us Bond or else. But I think WB would come out the losers on that score.

Probably not related but the timing is interesting. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sam-mendes-exits-disneys-live-action-pinocchio-1057750

Hmm, interesting. The Thomas Newman rumours could be legit after all?

Hope not. I’m ready for a change of director/composer.

Wow, things get moving.

WB and WONDER WOMAN 2: That looks like a revenge move to me. WB did not get Bond, therefore they torpedo its box office chances.

Mendes: Oh, no. That cannot be a coincidence. He will be back.

I actually think it’s coincidence…but I wouldn’t protest if he did come back - though part of that is purely to have Eon, Mendes and Craig calling bull on tabloids idea that Craig is 6 and said “I’m not playing if he is!”

One interpretation is that Eon expected to sign up Villinueve. But his recent commitment to Dune has made it clear he’s out of the frame (he either chose Dune over Bond, or Eon/MGM were scared off by Blade Runner’s poor box office).

Left with McKenzie and Demange on their apparent wish list low and behold they’ve decided that neither are ready for Bond yet and panicked, making Mendes an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Reminds me of the old days when Cubby would recast Bond as a negotiating technique with Roger; perhaps Eon had no intention of hiring McKenzie or Demange, they just wanted Villinueve on their terms.

Mendes can’t be coming back! Surely not! I’m praying this is all one big coincidence. But then again, a lot of us thought Craig was done after Spectre.

I want a fresh director with a fresh vision! Thomas Newman can jog on too, after his disastrous Ctrl C Skyfall Ctrl V Spectre score.

1 Like

I think the Wonder Woman date change has more to do with the Star Wars IX move than Bond, in my opinion.

I would welcome another director as well, just to shake things up and give BOND 25 a fresh spin.

But I could understand that everybody involved wants to have the production sail smoothly with an established director who knows the ins and outs, who knows how to work with EON, who is capable and probably willing to make this one count.

Sure, it could also be a coincidence that he dropped out of “Pinocchio” for other reasons. But that nose is already growing…

1 Like

That´s definitely one major reason - but if WB had BOND 25 they would not have positioned WW2 there.

:laughing:

I kind of feel it depends if it really is Craig’s intended finale or not.

If it is, how much a new voice is the director going to really get to put in? Mendes would work for a finale at this point as 50% of Craig’s run was already his.

If, however, anyone involved considers there to be chance that Bond 26 will be a Craig affair (unlikely I think) then a new director would be better to allow for other voices to seem more natural in the Craig run for a finale when it comes.