News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

You have to wonder if they’d mismanage Bond in the way that they have the DCEU. They showed some truly poor judgment by putting Zach Snyder in charge of that. They could easily show some equally poor judgment by putting someone else in charge of Bond who really has no business holding that position.

Absolutely agreed. WB has shown zero ability to guide such an endeavour - they seem to feel like the old studio moguls who have to tell the creatives what to do, and then, failing, they scramble to save their enterprise, making more mistakes.

I certainly hope that BOND will never be at the mercy of such people.

I also don´t think that Nolan would create the “amazing hard-to-top classic”.

They SHOULD be aiming to make hard to top classics with every film, that b**** called life will mean what they set out to do won’t be exactly what the finished film will be like, but to someone it’ll be the best Bond film in the series. We are talking about an entirely subjective medium here.

In regards to WB, their approach to DC has been to let their directors have total control at the beginning, but then panic when it gets to editing and begin micromanaging at an extreme rate, which has created a series of films that barely anyone likes. Though those who do have firmly stood by them.

Many fans think Goldfinger is a classic that has never been topped. That was made over 50 years ago yet the series is still going strong. When approaching Bond they should try and make every series the best it can be.

However I’m not totally on board with Nolan. His style may have been a good fit for the franchise a few years ago but I think they need to be getting away for the serious and grounded style of films.

Y’see, I’m the opposite, I think they should have Bond 25 should have a similar approach to Craig’s other 4, has the illusion and pretence of realism, but is actually still highly unrealistic with plots that are no-more likely than Goldfinger or Thunderball. Then shake it up for Bond 26, or whichever is Bond 7’s first film.

Strangely enough, nobody seems to remember that it was Christopher Nolan himself who brought Zack Snyder into the position of director of MAN OF STEEL, BvS and JL. It was Nolan´s pitch how Superman should be portrayed today - dark and joyless - and this led to the current impasse.

Nolan doing Bond would yield the same results, I´m afraid.

In fairness, they did a fine job with Harry Potter…

Oh, yes - but that was the old WB with different people at the helm, as far as I know.

Nope, overlapped with MOS, but then, Man of Steel was the one Zack Snyder DC film that didn’t have massive studio interference and had (some) good reviews. wb’s Changes happened (just) after Man Of Steels release, and so the push for 2 hour trailers was born.

I should say though that the DC films are a bad comparison for Bond, as the DC films are made ENTIRELY in house because they’re both owned by Time Warner, whilst Bond would just be distribution with MGM and EON being between Warners and the production, which would decrease their ability of give notes (though, as SPECTRE’s production shows, not entirely…)

I guess the way I’m looking at it is “Harry Potter” is still on ongoing franchise that is about to put out it’s 10th film (with another 4 lined up), with “Fantastic Beasts,” in much the same way DC has different films within it’s franchise. It’s even still going with it’s original creative team…

The DCEU does indeed reek of Exec notes. That debacle Suicide Squad looks like a movie torn apart and reassembled to satisfy a lofty exec.

Sure it was no doubt weak in the first place, but the mess we got is a salvage job imo directed by an exec, making a weak film into a disastrously unwatchable film.

However, between Nolan’s clout and Eon i don’t see Warner having quite as much influence on Bond, should they distribute.

Is a thing…though it’s good to know a director really wants to do it.

I won’t be convinced either way until the announcement. Denis’ dream state may not nessisarily prove fruitful, in which case he may yet put it on hold for Bond.

However, that would leave Eon in the tricky position of keeping other directors on standby (which I don’t see Nolan accepting).

Merry Christmas folks. We haven’t had much to talk about this year, but that’ll change next year. :slightly_smiling_face:

EON needs to just figure out what it would take to get Villeneuve on board and then go make that happen. Him paired with Craig has the potential to be the best thing we’ve seen in the series to date. This seriously needs to happen.

2 Likes

At this point it seems totally in the air whether Villeneuve for BOND 25 can happen. The dreams about Dune strongly suggest it would cost dearly to put that project on hold (which itself isn’t at all a sure b/o success). Waiting for Villeneuve will hardly be an option if they want to keep Craig. Arranging for Villeneuve to do BOND 25 first may be too expensive for the studio. So I suspect the most likely option will be another director now - and Villeneuve coming aboard some time later, say, BOND 27 or 28; provided he’s still in demand then.

Another tabloid article, however if Waltz is indeed not returning then I’d be more than happy with this…

Well, since he’s put it out there it has zero chance of happening now.

I’d be fine with him acting in a Bond film. The man is a truly gifted actor. I just have no desire to see him direct a Bond film.

It very much depends on the script. If that is solid and strong in the right departments then Branagh directing could actually be a huge plus. As director he‘s not totally obsessed with putting his mark on everything. He knows a good story when it crosses his way, so he doesn’t waste time with trying to improve it.

On the other hand…

He will also shoot a mediocre script when there is no alternative, so if the basis is weak he’s not very likely to help things a great deal.

As actor he’s got a definite presence. And yet, I‘d prefer him in some other role, not the villain. I think he‘d make an interesting M figure, either as M or as a counterpart like Tanaka/Henderson/Kerim Bey.