News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Chris Nolan can’t do action- all the fighting scenes in the Dark Knight films were clunky, poorly shot and very badly choreographed- look at the scene in the car park at the beginning of the Dark Knight for a prime example.
Or the fight between him and Bane at the end of Rises on the steps. Just awful.

I’d love a Shane Black Bond film.

This is why I don’t want Nolan directing Bond - the fact I’d have to leave CBN or put up with 2 years of people saying how much they hate him.

Hey, I’m still here despite having to defend P & W all the time :wink:

We´re just debating. Different opinions. Wouldn’t it be boring to only hear the same opinion in an echo chamber?

1 Like

It’s more Nolan, and P&W for that matter, seem to invite a quicker (and at times harsher) need to criticise than most - with Nolan its a case of being already bored of it because there are dozens of thread on the old CBN that have hundreds of versions of the same argument despite him only ever being a rumour. It’s not what is being said that I’m bored with, more the amount of times I’ve already it.

I see. Well, since we won´t get Nolan next time anyway, let’s rather debate Boyle.

I´m critical of his style, too. :wink:

Exactly! He has a tendency to chuck everything at a film and see what sticks - it’s why I’ve never been as fond of Trainspotting as others are, or to go with a film I like, Sunshine suffers from this in its final act when we get the solution of what happened to the first ship. It’s why I’m more optimistic for a Boyle Bond film than I am for a Boyle film generally - the seeming yearning general audiences can have for Bond tropes could push him to be more rigid.

1 Like

I agree - I was referring to him as a great Action screenwriter and I’d stand by that; lethal weapon, long kiss goodnight, the last Boy Scout are among the best Action screenplays ever written imho. His scripts are generally written for adults rather than teens and never lowest common denominator.

Fair enough, but I’m not looking for the geography and logic of a fight as much as the dramatic nuance and for me Nolan always maintains that, whereas some directors who can shoot great fights etc kind of steps out of the character whilst they fight, then cue in the emotions at its end. Some of Raging Bull’s fights get pretty arty and impressionistic, but I feel every blow on an emotional level.

But, picking Nolan’s fight scenes as something to champion probably wasn’t a smart move :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want Nolan anywhere near Bond. It’s sickening how almost everyone treats him and his work as a godsend and the greatest thing to happen to cinema ever. And add Tom Hardy to that as well.

Seriously, it was bad enough that people praised The Dark Knight up and down the proverbial halls as the greatest superhero movie ever, and Hardy hasn’t done anything noteworthy to be Bond.

Why not find unknown directors? Who knows? They may surprise us.

1 Like

SAF…see what I mean?

1 Like

Is this confirmation that Danny Boyle is directing Bond 25?

1 Like

This whole “it all depends on how the script turns out” caveat I keep hearing makes me take the official stance that I will believe Boyle is the director when I see him at the press conference in December…

3 Likes

Boyle, Danny Boyle.

This has been popping up a lot in the last few hours but I’ll wait to hear official word. What’s been different is that it’s actually Boyle claiming it. Grain of salt…

Anymore “grains of salt” with Bond 25 and we’ll have enough for a ton of margaritas or to preserve a whale until the damn film is released.

1 Like

Well, what Boyle reportedly said is nothing new, it only confirms Baz´ Tweet: EON/DC want Boyle, they all have to wait for the new script.

If the script turns out to be not fixable in time for a shooting start in December or January, only then will Boyle not be the director of BOND 25.

I’d argue the issue with ‘prestige’ directors and Bond is that nearly all of those that have been hired, Mendes included, are ultimately hit and miss filmmakers. There’s also the fact that Mendes and SKYFALL aside none of the others could, or would, get away from the formula in order to deliver something that would genuinely surprise casual filmgoers never mind seen it all cynical fans.

Every Bond director has been hit and miss, including Campbell (Green Lantern).

But I’d rather a prestige miss than a ‘by-the-numbers’ miss; I’ll take QoS over AVTAK, OP, TLD, DAF every time.

An interesting failure is preferable to a safe, dull, predictable affair imo.

Weird that you consider TLD as “safe, dull and predictable”.

AVTAK - okay, yeah.

But TLD? Even OP with its Cold War topic and the wonderfully tense circus scene is anything but predictable. And the kitchfest DAF can be called many things - but not that.

TLD is one of my favorite films. It just shows that EON has to follow their gut as they’ve been successfully doing for 60 years because any decision they make will never be loved by all…

2 Likes

IMHO the films (with the exception of those clearly adapted from the source material) have always been assembled - a pre-credits sequence here, a splash of sacrificial lamb there, a card from the bottom of the gadget deck, an action sequence from the parts bin.

More often than not, doing it that way has worked. The series has had a good deal more hits than misses over the years, but regardless of era, there are times when the seams in the process have been more than obvious.

I’ve said I’m upbeat about what Boyle might bring to the series, but I’m truly curious as to what Hodge’s marching orders are. Is he taking P&W’s work and adding, like Haggis or Logan? Or is he starting from scratch. But regardless of which, what is Hodge’s preconceptions of the series. Is he coming up with a story that stars James Bond, or is he making a James Bond film - we’ve debated that distinction many a time.

Or is it even possible to to create a story that stars James Bond without it being a “James Bond film,” assembled from all the parts that have worked (and not worked over the years). How much freedom will Hodge be given? And how much will he jostle with his own interpretation of what is a James Bond film?

Roald Dahl has all those great quotes about Cubby and Harry explaining to him the “3 girl rule” - or will Hodge on his own sit in front of the computer and think “gosh I don’t have a sacfricial lamb yet” etc etc. I’d love the series to truly give a writer carte blanche - but I’m not sure any writer who has seen just the one Bond film, can really start there.

1 Like