News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

I think it´s safe to assume that Hodge will not rework the P&W-script.

The whole rumor/Baz-tweet was about Boyle & Hodge coming in with a “killer idea” for BOND 25 - and EON and DC being very keen on getting Boyle as director, so they signed off on the plan to have Hodge write the script so they can decide whether this indeed will become BOND 25.

But since EON and DC are willing to make Boyle the director of Bond 25 Hodge´s script would have to turn out really dreadful for them to nix it and Boyle.

I don’t think Boyle and Hodge want to do a typical Bond film. They have something different and special in mind, and that’s what will have excited DC and in consequence EON.

Now, is that special idea good for Bond films? Or is it so out there that BOND 25 will disappoint mass audiences? If that is the case it´s probably not considered a no-go. Craig will leave anyway, they have to recast and reconstruct the next era - so audiences will return even if they say BOND 25 was total bollocks.

2 Likes

I hope that the something different and special they have in mind is not the “James Bond is a codename” theory.

Other than that, I’m rather curious and intrigued by the idea of a 007 movie directed by Danny Boyle.

1 Like

Years ago I´d say that would be impossible. But after the brother angle, anythings possible. Lets hope not. That would be a franchise killer. Probably the only silver bullet on the Bond cannon.

I reckon their ideia is something derived of dynamics, twists, scrambled timelines, …, something that could be put into a play of sorts, something kinetic and very connected to the original Fleming universe of which DB is very knowledgeable. That’s all very Boylish. That and weird and artistic camera angles, very saturated imagery, and music to boot. I say I’m all for it if that’s the case. Start the film with something shocking (TMWTGG book style), then have the thematic opening titles with surrealist imagery (I bet DB will enjoy being involved in this part more than many), then jump back in time and tell the story right, playing with the appropriate angles to trick the audience, and end it in a big reveal, Bond style. And all of it being a plan only known by M and Bond, no team involved from start to finish.

Well, something like that could work, I think. Just random thoughts.

It’s a matter of personal taste i guess. DAF is to my mind a proto-austin powers movie - a pastiche of everything ‘Bond’. The ‘whatever’ finale on the rig epitomises the sense that it was all about paycheques for everyone involved. If not for Bassey, Wint and Kidd it would a pointless watch. However, thanks to that trinity i’ll always enjoy it.

OP is as camp as it gets for much of the time. The finale of belly dancers taking on armed guards and Bond saving his manhood by shooting off a banister knob sum it all up for me. Granted the circus scene had tension, but, a clown! Really?! And lets not mention the Tarzan vine swinging and the Barbara Woodhouse ‘Sit’ gag with a tiger…

I knew criticising TLD was risky in around here, but i find it a very dull, slow piece of storytelling. It somehow mistakes taking time with a scene for time taken to flesh it out, let it breath and build character. And the villain was a total non-starter - an arms dealer with nothing unique about him other than a wax work collection. I find Dalton to genteel; trying to make Bond human, he simply makes him a doting, soppy pacifist and i don’t believe for a second that this character would peruse this career which he obviously detests.

He did a far better job of Bond in LTK, imho. That film also has many flaws, but Dalton is a more believable Bond. TLD is, for me, by far the weakest Bond debut.

1 Like

I’m hoping that killer idea is an adaptation of YOLT. That psychedelic trip of a Bond adventure would be a perfect fit for Boyle.

I imagine it’ll turn out to be an original idea, but here’s hoping for YOLT :slight_smile:

But make no mistake - as someone who likes TLD, I consider your opinion of it as valid as mine around here :+1:

1 Like

Variety sees enough in it to run with the story too (no new info)…

And Denis Villeneuve will be busy for awhile…

I still go back to my question from last week, will Hodge’s script include original action sequences or borrow from previously scripted ideas? I agree with the responses I got to my original question - it will more than likely be a combination of the two - but I’m fascinated and curious if we’ll ever know.

Everybody is jumping the gun. All these publications claiming its “official” and “a done deal” but it doesn’t matter if Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, or Danny Boyle himself says it’s true. It’s not official until Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson say so. Boyle’s participation is contingent on the script. Since the script isn’t done yet we may not see an official confirmation from EON for some time.

2 Likes

True. But…

Given the timeframe for BOND 25 and the fact that they may have an alternative script by P&W but evidently no alternative director I‘d say it’s highly likely they‘ll go with Boyle and rather rework Hodge‘s script on the go if it’s not up to scratch. Since that script isn’t even finished yet - as far as we know - and may not be until early summer that leaves little time for any “Plan B” to find another director willing to go with P&W’s script and inevitable reworks on that.

So…

1 Like

What would be the point for Boyle & Hodge to come in and tell EON their great idea if they then said: oh, um, can you send us your already thought-out action sequences so we can put them in our script?

Naw…

1 Like

Both we and the publications you listed have been saying it’s contingent on the script for quite some time. As a matter of fact I looked back over the linked-to articles and can’t find any of them using the terms “official” or “a done deal” but I did find it saying “we’re working on the script right now, and it all depends on how it turns out.”

Then my 10 cents says they will have to move the release date, because it’s highly unlikely they can secure new locations, map out new stunts, and build sets to start filming by the end of the year. Especially if Boyle is directing another film and is unavailable to participate in preproduction. Unless he has Spielberg-like abilities to multi-task projects.

And the award for best non story goes to… The Daily Telegraph… for translating ‘we write in the current times’ into ‘the next Bond girl will reflect MeToo’… I mean really???:thinking:

Scratching my head too. Two disparate dots, and somehow he connected them like that…?

Yes but to Bond #metoo is not read as “hashtag me too” but “pound me too”

:wink:

3 Likes

Naturally, since Connery every Bond had to become less macho, even sensitive. The tendency to force himself on a woman that had been returning in the Craig era will have to be dialed down again, with the women showing consent or giving Bond the boot. That‘s all - but necessary and right.

The much more interesting thing will be Britain‘s perspective on its own nation… and Russia!

No doubt Eon want Hodge’s script to be the one (as do I), but…

Maybe they feel that if Hodge’s script is beyond repair by that time Villinueve’s Dune may have been put on hold and thus the man be available. If not on hold then progressing slowly enough that Villinueve is open to a wee bit of Bond to tide things over.

It’s as counter to logic as hedging an even bet with a rank outsider, but even so I wouldn’t be overly shocked if it panned out this way.