News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Yeah, it’s garbage. That’s what I hope doesn’t happen too much, the diluting of Bond’s personality to appease political correctness. I prefer the thinking for Goldeneye - the world has changed, Bond has not.

1 Like

I think the domestic drama angle is something that should be explored in Bond 25. Bond retired, living in Jamaica, and in a committed relationship with Madeleine Swann. However their domestic bliss would soon turn to boredom which would be deadly for James Bond. I would prefer for their relationship to fall apart naturally because it’s not the life Bond wants to lead despite trying to convince himself it was.

This would be far more interesting then Swann being killed and Bond seeking revenge. We’ve seen that. Swann should leave Bond and he returns to his true love, Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

3 Likes

Agree with you there, Gobi. It would show that the girl being murdered doesn’t really matter in the end, because Bond isn’t suited to marriage. He’s married to his profession and it’s his true calling. Skyfall did show elements of this during the beginning. Even though Bond held a big grudge against M, he returned to active service because of the terror attack. But a marriage/relationship breakdown would highlight it even further.

Dear God man, shoot that at Goldeneye and I’m in :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Exactly.

They could go meta and have Bond writing a spy novel to placate his frustrations. I could see Craig typing at a typewriter, snorkeling in the sea, beach combing for seashells, just living that Fleming life. Doing anything except dealing with his relationship.

3 Likes

I hope the script writers are looking at your post. :wink:

It has long been my feeling that Bond is EON’s family heirloom, protected, and carefully maintained for the next generation to gaze upon with wonderment. And so it has been.

Despite the current beckoning to make him a her, or of some other ethnic origin, I truly believe he will remain as he has always been.

Although, I would not be opposed to see a blast of fresh air as provided by Messrs. Boyle & Hodge. Cinematography; dialog; pacing; score.

As for plot: the Daniel Craig prolonged arc finally reaching conclusion; an aging 007 has finally retired, living domestic bliss with Madeline Swann. And hating every minute of it ( as previously suggested above). James’ alcohol consumption robs him of his marital duties; Madeline is frustrated and leaves him for a younger version of himself; back to scorpion shots on the beach; shot in the back of the head by an unknown assassin. Eve given license to kill, avenging her former associate.

There you have it: Seamless transition from white-male-misogynist to black-female-007.

Here it comes everyone, social justice has come for Bond. If this is true then I am done.

Didn’t Honeychile Rider already address #MeToo & #Time’sUp as early as 1958? Also with a response that would no doubt suit into current times…

2 Likes

That’s the problem with humanity: it quickly forgets.

1 Like

Zero problem with this. Most likely it’ll be a subtle idea that flows naturally from the character as she develops.

That said, I doubt we’ll end up seeing this film actually make it to the screen. EON may like the idea now, but, at the end of the day, they’re very much risk-averse. If this idea truly is something that we’ve never seen before, the majority of it will most likely be scrapped (with perhaps a small piece of it working its way into the next script, like Morgan’s killing-off of M in ONCE UPON A SPY).

We’ll most likely see a delay announcement towards the end of the year and the news that Craig is departing the role due to MGM and EON’s inability to get this film into production.

Slowly there…

At the moment it all depends on when the script is ready. Provided that’s by early summer, provided Boyle’s Beatles musical stays on track, and further provided MGM finally make up their mind, then it can still fit into the timeframe for the 2019 release. And from here it looks as if they want to keep that deadline; also if BOND 26 is to profit from the 60 years anniversary in 2022.

I agree - and since EON and DC absolutely want Boyle to do BOND 25 it would have to be Boyle´s decision to pull out because he does not think the script will be in shape in time.

Also, I cannot believe that EON will let the opportunity to have one more CraigBond go wasted. Even if the script turns out a case of “we couldn’t even fix it as we go along” or Boyle saying no to the biggest paycheck he has ever seen or ever will see - EON will have P&W´s script as Plan B.

And I would be very surprised if EON had not also a director lined up to be included in that Plan B. Maybe no name director - but someone they can rely on to step in should that situation arrive.

There are snobs who always have a go at OP.

The Tarzan yell is three seconds in a two hour film. It was misjudged, yes, but shouldn’t really affect anyone’s overall opinion.

I would also argue that the clown thing makes it tense. He’s in the most unfortunate costume he can possibly be in, and desperately wants people to take him seriously.

It also echoes his frustrating journey to the base, with the teenagers in the car and the woman on the phone. People themselves are the worst Bond villains of all, and are blindly about to cause their own destruction.

In contrast, there’s a wonderfully grim moment when he shoots a soldier between the eyes.

As for the stair bit, I’d prefer a tonally jarring moment than an ethically jarring moment like the Skyfall shower with sex slave scene.

2 Likes

I’m sure they’d like to keep the deadline of Nov 2019, but given the varying levels of incompetence of everyone involved, can’t say I wouldn’t be surprised if it were BOND 25 arriving with a new lead actor in 2022 to celebrate the 60th anniversary.

One also has to wonder about EON’s commitment to Bond right now. Seems like they’ve been looking more and more over the last few years to branch out into other things, which is fine, but now might be the best time for everyone to just move on to new and better things and turn Bond over to a new creative team and a new leading man.

Let’s look at it from a different angle: Eon’s lead was showing definite signs of being tired of Bond and through with the role. Then their partners continue to gamble with their own future, showing no hurry to resolve the distribution matter for years, in spite of a number of interested suitors; only to then send entirely conflicting signals about their own aspirations with a junior partner on board; after which nothing is decided once more. Meanwhile, Eon’s own non-Bond production is delayed for months by the injury of their lead actress.

To make matters even worse Eon’s favourite directors are either tied up, or carry a recent flop around their necks, or both. And when they found one to their liking he’s got to get a fresh script first and do another film.

This is an exceptionally tall list of bad luck, averse circumstances and lack of detailed solid planning on a scale nobody could seriously foresee after SPECTRE; certainly Eon didn’t.

5 Likes

They could go meta and have Bond writing a spy novel to placate his frustrations. I could see Craig typing at a typewriter, snorkeling in the sea, beach combing for seashells, just living that Fleming life. Doing anything except dealing with his relationship.

That’s great: I love it. I definitely want Swann’s presence dealt with without her being conveniently killed off (which would be rather sexist) and this idea of them moving to Jamaica is rather wonderful. You’d probably have to deal with it fairly quickly: have Bond asked back For Just One Last Job and to choose his old life over her in a rather cold way. It’d be a shame to dash that off in the first act and never look back though: it should be worked into the whole script.

Blimey: quoting posts on this new forum is a pain in the arse. How do you do it easily? I had to edit that twice because it kept just saying ‘blockquote’.

By highlighting the area you want to quote, a quote option automatically comes up.

Thanks! How incredibly unintuitive. You’d think pressing the ‘reply’ button would do it.

It´s actually easier this way.

1 Like