News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

They do have the Fast and the Furious, which may not be in the same realm critically, but is huge at the box office. However those are supposedly winding down, so perhaps that played into this. The Universal connection makes me wonder if we might actually see a theme park presence for Bond again (if anyone remembers the Licensed to Thrill ride at Kings Dominion in the late 90s).

1 Like

Breaking News!
and good news!
https://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2018/05/25/breaking-boyle-confirmed-production-to-begin-on-3rd-of-december/

3 Likes

Nice to see Boyle confirmed. Hoping things will really start to pick up now.

2 Likes

I hope they do another live announcement like they did with Spectre to kick off production. If so we could have the title on December 3rd.

1 Like

All I did was knock on the door. Clearly my arrival in London carried some weight. :yum:

8 Likes

Here´s a look at what Universal´s franchises are right now:

I sincerely hope that the working relationship will turn out swell and that this will take care of the inevitable dealings for the next films which will star a new Bond actor. And, please, earlier than 2030.

By the way, no surprise here that Hodge delivered “that” script. They all wanted Boyle.

4 Likes

Given BB’s push for more director driven films, it would’ve needed to be a train wreck of a script to say no to Boyle’s go to writer.

On a related(ish) note - Will we see a return of David Arnold (who provided the score for A Life Less Ordinary for Boyle) or do you think Boyle will push for an Underground score?

Music has always been key to Boyle movies and so I also expect him to push the boundaries here, rather than play safe with a traditional score.

For me this is one of the most exciting aspects of Boyle doing Bond.

I’m fine with either option tbh, Underground’s score for Sunshine was one of the best things in the film.

Grief.

All that came together very neatly, did it not?

I wonder if this will be a lesson learned that all the discourse given to, ‘no news is bad news’, ‘everything will undoubtedly be delayed irretrievably’ for the next time / film / event, is in fact wasted energy?

It always, all comes together.

2 Likes

“Production will begin at the start of December 2018, with the film released in the UK on 25 October 2019”
This would make it a significantly shorter production shoot than either SPECTRE or Skyfall.

1 Like

Absolutely. I remember my feelings in ´89 about the next Timonthy Dalton Bond in ´91.

1 Like

Well, yes, the '89 period is perhaps the anomaly.

And, since veracity dictates full disclosure, BB did state in November that she would hope for distribution news in January 2018. A little late with this news but there we go.

Oh, please - changing things up is always interesting.

But a traditional score is not one of those things one should mess with.

Yes, I am a total believer in traditional, sinfonic scores with strong melodic leitmotifs for every character. There is nothing that can build an emotional response better.

Danny Boyle shoots , to paraphrase Seidel and Eastwood “low and lean”
I think that now he’s been confirmed I can get truly excited about it… I have wanted to see Boyle direct Bond since Shallow Grave.
I loved his Bond skit at the Olympics, his movies are clever, visceral, visually stunning and slyly funny. Perfect for 007!
So my own summary for what Boyles movie may look like is closer to Trainspotting than Trance.
I think we can look forward to
Great music, a clever story, good action, fantastic casting and a sly humour with a punk aesthetic.
As a mood board I shall rewatch the following…
Tales of the Unexpected (I think Boyle may introduce an element of rug pulling and tonal strangeness)
Licence To Kill ( the tone will, I believe be as dark as LTK)
I shall listen to some classic Punk Rock .
I shall also wait news of a cameo from Ewan McGregor :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Seigel !!! Damn you large fingers/ small phone

1 Like

I wonder if we’ll ever get to hear what the Purvis & Wade script was about.

As a rule I agree with you, Bond & strings are like vodka & martini (though I’m a single malt man myself).

But I want a director to work to their strengths and Boyle has a gift for utilising music in very cinematic and exciting ways (much like Tarantino).

The scores, composed and sourced are characters in boyles films that burn set-pieces into the cultural memory for years to come.

That’s a mighty exciting prospect for Bond; already a cultural icon - marry him with Boyles ability to create iconic moments and we could have some real canon highlights in Bond 25.

So, I’m not saying that’s better than a symphonic score. Newman’s work has been surprising and outstanding. I’m just very excited to see (or hear) where Danny will take it.

I want a Danny Boyle Bond movie through and through, as does Eon, because I don’t see him doing it any other way than his so he wouldn’t have gotten the gig if BB didn’t want that.

Even if it’s a failed experiment, I prefer that to a paint by numbers product (those days seem to be far behind us).

Exciting times imo.

Interesting that the announcement does not say “Daniel Craig’s 5th and final outing as 007.” Does this mean there’s a chance he will return for Bond 26? Or am I reading too much into this?

I’m very happy this is all confirmed. Great news and really made my day.

2 Likes