No Time to Die – Member reviews (Spoilers!)

Was Bond badly shot? Yes.
Was Bond infected to kill his family? Yes.
Did he have enough time to leave even if he wanted to? Probably not.

Circumstances conspired to keep Bond locked on that island.

It seems definitive, and by all accounts the movie treats it as such, from an emotional and thematic point of view. But on the flip side, does Bond survive the impossible? See the Skyfall PTS for reference when he’s shot and falls from a great height. Has Bond been thought dead before? Many times.

I’m still holding on to those loose ideas as a fan, logic be damned. I don’t think that undermines the spirit of the movie, per se. I definitely wouldn’t want any other Craig era media exploring what happens after NTTD. The intention is to be final, to say goodbye to Craig and his Bond, not the character himself.

4 Likes

The mate of the person who is one of the financial backers always has “A cool, groundbreaking, idea that was just so awesome” he had to share it with the writer.

1 Like

Yes, Bond didn’t rape anyone in this film. How dare he?! (Obviously, this is not directed at you, but rather those toxic fans that also cried foul for a leading role being played by an asian woman in SW).

1 Like

I think it was also moot. Seeing the people fall into the infected water and die (like the scientist, I think his name was Obruchev?), it seemed like the DNA thing was not going to be a factor anyway. It was going to kill anyone and everyone. My thing about it though is, unless I missed something, was there some reason why the missiles had to destroy the base at that moment? Why couldn’t they have just delayed the launch or aborted and launched again? Maybe the potential war thing between Russia, Japan, and the US?

Bond having a child is totally fine. In fact, it’s just one of many things adapted from the YOLT novel. So, it’s just Fleming. I think most casual fans crying foul about that, haven’t read the novels and probably wouldn’t know that the film is basically a more faithful adaptation of You Only Live Twice. Having had children of my own in basically the same timeframe that CraigBond did, allowed me to actually have a better emotional investment.

5 Likes

Two fold - Safin was going to release it, so it had to be destroyed completely, as it would still live even if it’s host had died, but the presence of Japan and Russia meant it had to be done quick, as there was no way either government would not try to take the perfect weapon for themselves, much like M had done when he commissioned it.

3 Likes

I can certainly understand that - but I found it far more emotionally involving in Logan and Avengers than I did here. And I’m sure it’s not just Fleming that inspired that plot element - it’s more than likely those movies (just like the emphasis on Bond’s dead parents in Skyfall was likely as much influenced by the Nolan Batmans as it was the source material).

1 Like

This is almost certainly the conceptual reasoning for it but I think enough people are scratching their heads about it that they didn’t explain that point well enough.

2 Likes

This was my exact question on first viewing at all. I asked the same thing last week and got some good responses about it.

I had a second viewing yesterday, and the implication is the urgency is down to the two boats headed towards the island are the first buyers of Heracles - so presumably the fear is that once the poison is on those boats and heading into the wider world, it could start spreading immediately.

I suppose they could also have just launched air strikes on the boats though :wink:

1 Like

But they’d still have “the garden of death” (I loved that they FINALLY got that on film) on the island. Blowing up the island before anyone else could get there was vital

“The world isn’t kind to men who play god”

1 Like

I think the issue is that it isn’t explained well. Safin’s entire plan is never truly explained, nor his motivations or end goal. That, and Safin is a very undercooked villain. For being the one that finally kills Bond, he ended up being such a wasted opportunity.

YES!

2 Likes

I loved what Malek did with him, but he did seem to be left entirely to the actor so they could focus on Bond and Madeline, who had FAR more depth than she did in Spectre

3 Likes

Indeed, Malek did his best and he did very well, but he wasn’t helped by the script, bless him. But I liked what he did. Eerie and engaging.

3 Likes

I’d kind of argue that it’s the same problem that all 5 of Craig’s villains had, Bond and the lead actress are given more depth at the expense of the villain, but they got 5 incredible actors who could (mostly) fill in the gap

1 Like

They really did, we’ve had some bang-on casting for sure.

1 Like

Agreed. Madeleine was much better in this one. I think the writing for her character was much stronger. Again, it just shows how much everyone involved in Spectre didn’t know what the hell they were doing, or more likely didn’t care. Mendes just wanted a fat pay check. Lea Seydoux really got to shine this time around.

My problem with Safin is that it seems his motivations were getting revenge on Spectre for killing his family. He does that, so what does he gain by unleashing a global pandemic? I get that the scientist (David Dencik, I don’t remember the character’s name) was a racist and basically a Russian Nazi, but I don’t get Safin’s rationale.

1 Like

He was aiming to tend the planets population the way his family had tended their garden.

Safin’s lunacy (Mr White’s fault) took the form of him playing god with all the equipment and knowledge he got as “A child of Spectre”

Spectre made it’s own downfall by accidentally making a monster and giving “the cuckoo” the love of his life

1 Like

Well I accidentally got spoiled. I have tickets for IMAX tomorrow night and I gotta say I’m not excited anymore. It all sounds quite depressing.

Edit to clarify that I was not spoiled here. This is the spoiler thread afterall.

Sorry…I don’t think the film will be ruined by that, but I’m really sorry if it did

This is the spoiler thread…

Fair enough