Quantum of Solace

As one always should

“Can’t but agree”

Can’t for the life of me remember what I’m quoting there.

It’s yours now

Aww shucks

1 Like

Wow! This thread has really gotten interesting. Thanks to all who weighed in. I really didn’t know if anyone would want to discuss a film so far in the past. As I stated before, my favorite aspect of the film is its scathing and unflinching expose of global politics and imperialism, especially calling out the USA on this subject. The only thing that disappoints me about the film is the climax, when Bond emerges from his confrontation with the man who betrayed Vesper. When M asks if the man is still alive, I wish he had replied, “Well, I blew his balls off, and popped both his kneecaps, but yes, he’s alive. I think tell you whatever you want to know now.”

Would that end not have undermined the entire impact of the film? It’s what one would expect, not what the film’s character development would suggest.

If he doesn’t have time to wait around, why does he bother putting his friend’s body into a pile of trash? Why not pull down his pants too? I feel like they wanted to show Bond being unsentimental, and cobbled together to stupidest, most illogical way to do so. Maybe they could have got the message across by just having Bond take his wallet?

It’s an interesting conversation. Is Bond really being disrespectful by placing Mathis on top of the dumpster? I think the placement of his body acts as a makeshift street service. It’s not pretty, but it’s a grim acceptance of the situation. Bond’s doing something extra for the man in comparison to the other two, who he leaves on the ground. Should have Bond left Mathis on the ground with them? Either way, he’s not taking the body with him. Time is of the essence as the street is a crime scene. Backup police haven’t yet arrived, but you imagine they soon would.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting video essay of QoS:

He addresses the dumpster controversy, shaky cam and all the other issues. Of particular interest is his explanation of when Bond shifts from seeking revenge to pursuing justice (and the dumpster scene is the pivot point.) I found it affected my take on the film and it inspired me to rewatch it.

1 Like

It didn’t affect mine.

I loved it on first viewing! I went to the cinema twice, I loved it so much

1 Like

I see every Bond in the theaters at least three times … usually try for 7!

1 Like

I would be grateful if you could help me with one point regarding dialogue in Quantum of Solace. In the plane scene, Mathis tells Bond that he has pills for everything. And he adds that “some of them makes you taller”. Can you explain to me if this text has any special meaning? If it’s not something lost in translation, it doesn’t make much sense to a non-English speaking person. Is it a reference to some idiom, proverb, or cultural product? I never understood that.

Alice in Wonderland, or probably the song inspired by it

2 Likes

Good track

2 Likes

For all the controversy over Mathis’ death, at least we know Bond treated him differently than his mother. I mean, those pills don’t do…"

Ta-dum…

2 Likes

There’s this figure of speech, to walk tall (look here for Webster’s definition): feeling proud and confident. There’s a host of pills designed for that purpose. Some of the stuff reaches back to WW2 (and Bond uses Benzedrine in Moonraker for example).

3 Likes

@Dustin @plankattack @Stbernard Thanks for clarification! It makes sense now. It’s a shame to admit, but I didn’t think about “Alice in Wonderland” :grimacing:.

1 Like

I am watching an episode of The Rockford Files (South by Southeast) and came across a familiar scene.

5 Likes

Marc Forster a fan perhaps?

1 Like

Very much possible. He’s roughly half a year younger than me, so I know what he got to watch on TV. It was the days of old when Germany only had three TV channel (two nationwide, one local)…

Tuesdays, 9:45 PM, was the spot for that kind of series. Kojak, Mannix, Petrocelli, Magnum etc. and of course Rockford. Later in the 80s, it also was the spot for Dallas.

Highly likely that Forster was a fan, because Rockford was extremely popular. In Germany, a J-turn is stil referred to as “Rockford”-turn :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like