Renewed appreciation for Spectre

The question is;

Is that lack of understanding or, is it lack of drive?

As the current President of the United States so proudly demonstrates, writing in a manner that poor can come from anyone, regardless of age, if they don’t particularly care about those they are communicating at (saying to seemed wrong in this context)

1 Like

The diary manufacturers ‘Leuchtturm’ have a nice slogan: “Writing is thinking with the hand”.
Of course a company selling - expensive - notebooks would say so. But I really think it is a difference whether you write a text by hand or type it. And then again a difference whether you type a text into a typewriter with foolscap - or type it into a word processing application that can effectively make any text look like it was professionally written and edited. In our day you had to know what you wanted to write, where your sentence - and the point of your argument - was going.

Do younger folks no longer communicate because of this? I suppose they communicate differently. There’s the bonmot - or is it a truism? - that irony doesn’t communicate over the Internet. Maybe therefore many users regale everything with irony indiscriminately, which then loses the point of it entirely.

For the purposes of the net, where so many discussions are not in fact about a topic but about making a statement that generates a reaction, any reaction, exchanges could entirely happen with emojis. That would still be communication, even though sender and recipient on purpose leave aside much of the information content.

Frankly, I have no good idea how to change this; I’m not even sure it needs to change when folks apparently are happy to forego the basic rules of language. Make kids write diaries with hand again? Make ‘Written Language’ a high school subject? I really don’t know.

1 Like

In school they still need to write differently but increasingly have difficulties doing it and accepting the reasons for it. My wife is a teacher and sometimes it takes huge efforts in abstract thinking to ponder the meaning of what one probably could still call a sentence.

The sad part of it: those who still force themselves to learn and use grammar will move on to better jobs, those who consider language skills ridiculous won’t. Which makes all the „no child gets left behind“-educational doctrine all the more absurd.

1 Like

To be fair, it’s not only kids and young people. I work with texts that come from writers between 20 and 75 every day – and they claim to be pros, journalists. Grammar and wording is more a problem with the younger ones. They have the tendency to write like they speak, which doesn’t read too good at times. With the older ones, it’s sloppy writing.

Spelling is equally good or bad throughout the ages. No one seems to re-read their texts before handing them in. And as I doubt that they’re to stupid to use it, I’m under the impression that they’re simply to proud to use any form of grammar or spell-check. And the fact that most publishers have given up proofreading (costs money) doesn’t help.

3 Likes

How ‘bout that Spectre?

3 Likes

A brilliant film that I’ve just put on my iPad for travel purposes.

6 Likes

I know the soundtrack doesn’t get much love, but I particularly enjoy these atmospheres:

Donna Lucia
Madeleine
Silver Wraith

2 Likes

It gets criticism for reusing Skyfall ques, but given Barry’s scores from the 70’s and 80’s did that…

2 Likes

Arnold’s CR and QoS soundtracks are good, but I still prefer what Newman did and think his scores suit Craig’s Bond more. That said, let’s see what Zimmer delivers.

2 Likes

Indeed, let’s.

“I’m waitin’! This dump gives me the creeps.”

1 Like

Arnold did have Vesper’s theme, which was potent. But overall, I think Newman had a greater sense of melancholic elegance that got closer to the heart of what Craig’s Bond is all about. Komodo Dragon being the best example - lush but very introspective.

Billie’s NTTD has become one of my favourite Bond songs ever, and Zimmer has that at his disposal. So you never know - Zimmer could match or even surpass that for me.

1 Like

It’s Daniel Craig’s Moonraker… Nuff said.
You can all quote me on this in 15 years.

3 Likes

That would in fact be a big treat.

I’m counting on you now…

2 Likes

Oh yes I’d be there for that… especially if we were treated to a cameo from the pigeon

3 Likes

I’m sure they can splice it in somewhere…

2 Likes

Director‘s Cut, I suppose.

1 Like

Did you not see the pigeon at the spectre meeting?

3 Likes

The cuckoo was a pigeon in disguise?

4 Likes

When you’re a pigeon you disguise options are limited.

3 Likes

I’ve been expecting you Mr Bond

6 Likes