Tally ho, reference hunters

Bond informing M of Felix Leiter’s demise reminds me of Lazenby asking M for the assault on Piz Gloria, even more so than M telling Dalton’s Bond “This is not a country club, 007!” when similarly informed of Leiter’s less fatal sacrifice in LTK.

2 Likes

Whether as a reference or a rehashed trope, Valdo feels a lot like Boris: a shrimpy and politically incorrect (to say the least) Russian nebbish whose technical expertise is key to a murderous plot, but who is mostly played for laughs.

Nomi removing her wig by a bed shortly after meeting Bond is a reference to Rosie Carver removing her wig by a bed shortly after meeting Bond.

The stuffed rabbit which is dropped on the ground is clearly a reference to Bond’s history of promiscuity, an element which has been dropped in this movie to make room for more GRIM DEATH.

1 Like

tumblr_b1754fa44331f66e175993b2ff5a5814_7ac9b260_400

6 Likes

Totally forgot about this one:
the Foxgloves in Madeleine’s office, when Safin tells her that he once saved a life.
Foxgloves, latin name digitalis, were once used to save Bond’s life. The poison they contain were the antidote when he was poisoned in CR.
:nerd_face:

7 Likes

That is most impressive!

1 Like

I thought the digitalis was the poison.

2 Likes

You may have a point there. I always understood it that way that digitalis was used as the antidote, as the substances in it can be used to prevent heart failure. But it’s well possible (and one or the other things I just found on the interweb indicates so), that it actually was the poison. Possible that that part of the scene was lost to me in translation… :wink:

Anyhow, the digitalis connection is there.

2 Likes

Just checked, indeed digitalis was the poison. But as you said, the connection is there anyway, albeit in a more sinister way.

1 Like

So that would seemingly reframe it to be foreshadowing for the poison that Bond gets exposed to that would kill Madeleine and Matilde.

3 Likes

So many layers to this film!

As a complete aside, did anyone get Jurassic Park vibes from NTTD? The labs and scramble to get hands on DNA, the boats arriving to an island as suspenseful countdown device, the buyers unleashing a bio engineered terror on the world, even an old man’s (M/Hammond) career project blowing up in his face.

2 Likes

Ha! Interesting. The world’s always going to end due to some old man’s idea having disastrous´ consequences.

They were so busy with figuring out if they could, they never stopped to ask if they should!

4 Likes

Some even believe that’s how the world started… :wink:

1 Like

That’s a great line!

It is… but even better is this Bond villainesque quote from JP2:
“This suit cost more than your education.”

2 Likes

I gotta say, there were quite a few references to Metal Gear Solid in No Time To Die. The Heracles virus is the FoxDie virus from MGS 1. Bond climbing the ladder at the end is reminiscent of the ladder scene from MGS 3 (MGS 3 was itself a big homage to James Bond). Bond/Nomi approaching the villain’s base by sub is like the opening cinematic of MGS1. Bond indirectly killing his “brother” Blofeld with Heracles is like Snake indirectly killing his “brother” Liquid with FoxDie. No to mention, well nanomachines…

1 Like

Was that the game they accused CJF of playing rather than focusing on filming Bond 25? Clearly, he did a good job filming it

2 Likes

I think it was Red Dead Redemption 2.

I’ve also seen a clip where Safin says people want Oblivion

Hopefully the video game and not the Tom Cruise movie.

Wait! Olga Kurylenko is in that. Mmmmm … Oblivion!

1 Like