Villain Deathmatch - Round 1 Match 11

• Spectre Blofeld
  • Eliott Carver

0 voters

The World, it is said, is not enough and, bored by lockdown, it appears that villainous in-fighting has broken out to such an extent that things have to be settled between the Bond villains.

Accordingly, fate brings forth a series of 12 deathmatches, villain v villain – and you determine who wins, simply by voting for your favourite.

Winner goes through to the next round, loser receives a small funeral service with only pirhanas and a few tearful jumpsuited goons in attendance.

Picking the first round of matches at random from names drawn from the Covid-19 face-covering Mrs Jim has ordered for me (a bucket), there are some interesting encounters and some potential first round giantkillings and clashes of titans (and Titans! Will! Clash!, apparently).

Yes, I know some are tag-teams (eg Whitaker & Koskov) but this is only for giggles, they are fictional and – ultimately – are two heads better than one?

Will cast my eye over the bloodstrewn battlefields in a week from now. Any ties will be administered a coup-de-grace, also known as a flip of a coin. I know that’s unfair but consider who we’re dealing with here, and cope.

What was that evil thing Blofeld did again? Robot dentistry?

It is entirely a British threat - something surprisingly rare given we’re talking about an Mi6 agent.

I do promise Blofeld’s threat in Spectre is a good one…you just need a modern politics lecture to explain why…

I always found Carver a bore of a villain, but his plan was good.
I must admit that I like Waltz more since I saw the movie a lot more over the last few years.

It’s the clash of the wimps!
We expected more of Oblerhausfeld in regards to screen time and menace, and less when it comes to family ties. I doubt he’ll get enough to do in NTTD (will he remember to call 007 ‘James’ and not ‘Clarisse’?).
Carver, however, didn’t fail to deliver. Theatrical, egotistical, arrogant, frothing over with inferiority (not to mention edifice) complexes, he may not have been a physical match for our hero, but he definitely had presence - and they weren’t even related!

1 Like

Carver is the third worst in the franchise, after TLD duo and Graves. His churlish brat camp undermined his threat (as opposed to Wint & Kidd’s, which amped up their sinisterness).

I’m probably in a minority liking Watz’s Blofeld. His quiet power in the spectre meeting and rumplestiltskin/evil dentist while torturing Bond was pitch perfect imo.

1 Like

This is what we used to call a “scoreless tie.”

It does appear to have wet November Tuesday evening mid-table mediocrity bore draw written all over it, true.

My bias towards Tomorrow Never Dies seeping through again. I will unapologetically defend Elliot Carver until the day CMGN becomes the top media outlet in China! As for Hans Bloferhauslanda, his big villainous plot was…not being hugged enough by his daddy?

Tough choice here as neither one is a physically imposing threat. I like both characters, but I prefer Elliot Carver over Christoph Waltz’s Ernst Stavro Blofeld so I’ll go with Carver. (I might have thought differently if the powers that be wouldn’t have stupidly included the “foster brother” angle which significantly hurts both Waltz’s Blofeld and the film SPECTRE.)