What are you reading?

Finally got my hands on a copy of “The Many Facets Of Diamonds Are Forever”
Blooming brilliant so far! a fascinating collection of essays, heartily recommended.

5 Likes

Meet - The Tiger Leslie Charteris. Finally found a copy for a reasonable price. I was always curious about this story anyhow.

It’s one of the Saint’s best.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it! I contributed the essay “The Eyes of Tiffany Case.” I wish the book was sold at a more affordable price but academic publishers don’t think of anyone besides university libraries.

4 Likes

Oh wow ! Fantastic essays…I got my copy for £49.99, which I think for its quality, is good value. I look forward to reading your essay.

2 Likes

I’m reading Batman: White Knight and I was not prepared for this Bond Easter egg:

The artist has excellent taste!

In fact Easter eggs are the order of the day as the book is jammed with references to onscreen Batman. The Jack Napier name from '89 is used, just about every Batmobile (including Tumbler, '89, TAS and '66) are visible and they even repeat the plot point of Alfred and Nora Fries having the same condition from B&R. But there’s also an extra scathing one the form of a second Harley Quin, who dresses like the Suicide Squad (2016) version of the character and gets kicked in the head but the real Harley in classic outfit.

As for the story itself, it’s essentially an Elseworlds rather than main continuity. To me it feels like the conflict is told from the Joker’s point of view; he’s the sane one while Batman is portrayed as brutal, destructive and a tool of the wealthy elite. It’d an interesting reversal on the traditional dynamic.

5 Likes

It is one of the best Batman comic book storylines in recent years. It honors the past, without ripping on it. I highly recommend the the two follow ups.

3 Likes

Is the bloke with the glass and the blonde hair john Constantine?

No, he’s just some rich guy in Bruce’s social circle. White Knight is a Batman/ Gotham focused story and not so concerned with the broader DC connections.

1 Like

Oh I see, I thought it was him,due to the way he was wearing his tie and what looked like a trench coat

Finished my Fleming timeline read through with Devil May Care and Solo.

DMC: I’ve read this before and enjoyed it then and enjoyed it again this time. I know it’s a bit of a “greatest hits” book, but I find it very entertaining and readable.
There were a few things that did grate on me though - Faulks, especially early in the story before we (or the characters) know Gorner’s plot, repeatedly was telling us how this was the biggest, most dangerous threat Bond has faced. It almost like Faulks was trying to tell us to take his story seriously. It didn’t need to be said or repeated so often, especially before the plan was even uncovered.
Also, the Moneypenny scene, when read in the Fleming timeline, is completely jarring. Faulks made a (somewhat smug) point of ignoring the movies, however this scene played out exactly like a Connery or Moore scene. It was nothing at all like Bond and Moneypenny’s relationship in the Fleming novels. Minor quibble, but a quibble none the less.

Solo: I did not particularly enjoy this one and don’t think I’ll revisit it. It’s a very odd novel… it almost felt like Boyd wrote the first half and wanted to end it with a cliffhanger, but was then told the novel was too short and incomplete and to write more.
While not great, the first half I found ok. The second half after Bond returned from Africa was poor. It felt both rushed yet drawn out and was completely un-Bondian to me. His reason for wanting revenge didn’t seem particularly special, especially after everything he’d been through in his career. His actions (especially against the gang on the street and Breed) were very cold blooded and overy brutal, something we often saw him rejecting throughout his career, even against those who may have deserved such treatment. And how many times did Boyd need to write ‘gone solo’ or ‘going solo’… we got it the first time.
I also felt that Boyd set up an aging Bond angle (opening with his birthday) but then really did nothing with the concept. Apart from him celebrating a birthday, his age played no part of the novel and seems perhaps like a missed opportunity.
Ultimately I dont think Boyd got the Bond character at all. Definitely the poorest of the read through to me.

I also recently finished Later by Stephen King. Very enjoyable. It feels like there’s a great novel in there trying to get out but it falls a bit short of being great. Maybe it needed to be fleshed out or given a bit more time, but it’s still hugely enjoyable.

7 Likes

I’m re-reading The Coming of Conan The Cimmerian. Robert E Howard was an awesome writer and I love how he infused fantasy and horror in his stories.

3 Likes

I’m done with Scorpius. If anything, I see the book as a showcase for Sir James Moloney and his medical field, which isn’t a bad concept to explore. Suicide bombers became a very real and scary threat, but even then I found things rather low key and domestic for my liking. I find myself really looking forward to reading Win, Lose Or Die, and particularly Brokenclaw for some reason.

5 Likes

The Constant Gardener by John Le Carré

The quality and relevance of Le Carré’s writing is marvelous.

3 Likes

Win, Lose or Die.

Really enjoyed this one, and think it would make a decent movie. From the opening sequence you know it’s going to be outlandish fun, with hang gliding soldiers descending to attack a ship.

The sequence in Naples is like a movie within a movie and I like the Christmas timeframe. The twist afterwards at the ‘base’ actually felt clever and cartoony in a good way - the evil organisation being named Brotherhood of Anarchy and Secret Terrorism amplifies that vibe.

The later material on the ship evokes From Russia With Love’s train, or even Bond inside Piz Gloria, while being a completely different environment and atmosphere - with the added benefit of connecting with Bond’s naval past. For the eighth book in his run, Gardner managed to reach the heights of his opening salvo, Licence Renewed and For Special Services.

Nobody Lives Forever remains my favourite.

I’ve decided to read Licence to Kill before moving on to Brokenclaw.

4 Likes

Star Wars: Ronin - Emma Mieko Candon

A spinoff novel from the Star Wars Visions short The Duel. The Ronin is an interesting character and admittedly the mix of Japanese influences in the Star Wars universe, mainly the Samuari caste system makes the book compelling…it’s not cannonical but it’s better than the sequel trilogy. lol

But srsly, if done right elements of this book could be junxtaposed into what could possibly happen after the sequel trilogy. Food for thought.

2 Likes

Just finished With a Mind to Kill. Worthy of Fleming. Superb ending. Now if Mr. Horowitz would combine his knowledge of SH 221B & JB 007 and reveal the family connection. It’s been implied in other media, make it real. He’s best choice to do the story justice.

2 Likes

Got my copy today! Someone needs to update James Bond Wiki and Wikipedia. Might be a while till I read it. I got quite awhile until I can read it.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a short story where they meet.

I trust him either way, but I imagine that Anthony Horowitz wants to leave on a high end for both characters and their worlds.

Re-reading Golden Gun in anticipation of With a Mind to Kill.

Thoroughly loving this readthrough so far, especially the bit about loonies calling the secret service claiming to be James Bond, with one woman saying she received messages from James on Uranus.

I had forgotten that Fleming made Bond something of a legend in his own time, anticipating Diamonds are Forever '71.

5 Likes