What do you think about the NTTD release date?

It would not come with a monthly subscription fee as Prime or Netflix. And since Universal or MGM have nothing in streaming services in that league anyway the likely way would be to use multiple platforms that do VOD anyway, only with a considerable premium price. $ 30 seems like a good price that would be acceptable for many people.

1 Like

Yes, understand all that.

But, unlike Disney that would not have to first agree a licence to the streaming platform before showing the film, Eon would. And Disney would gather all of the one-off fees to see the film. Eon wouldn’t.

With whom could Eon negotiate? Am figuring only Prime.

And if so, what on God’s green earth would Prime have to stump up to have that licence?

They could talk to whoever is interested - independent as they are.

1 Like

And there were talks with Apple. With Apple absolutely interested right now in content, making deals left and right, they would have an eager partner.

Imagine them getting the chance for an exclusive NEW BOND FILM. They would and could agree to anything, just to get people hook up with Apple +.

@simon for a PVOD release it doesn’t have to be exclusive to one platform. None of Universal’s release have been, and neither with MGM’s upcoming Bill and Ted release. So if NTTD goes that route, expect it on iTunes, Prime, Google Play, you name it.

Now if EON/MGM wanted to sell it to a streamer as an SVOD thing and not premium VOD, that would be exclusive. And I mentioned before, I think the only ones that would have the money to pony up for Bond are Apple and Netflix.

Disney’s playing around by having it both ways, having it exclusive to their SVOD service with a premium one off surcharge. Only WB with HBO Max could get away with a similar thing also, though they don’t yet have international market penetration like Disney+ has. Particularly as moving Mulan to D+ is essentially sunk cost, and the premium pricing and the subscriber uptick are how that’s recouped. Worth noting also that they are selling off an upcoming Fox film, The Woman in the Window, to Netflix…

(And to your question re Mulan, Disney+ everywhere where the service is active - including the UK. Everywhere else gets it in cinemas.)

4 Likes

Many thanks again Ant.

Everything answered.

Cheers.

I’d be very surprised if EON signed up to anything that involved an element of exclusivity. With films now so infrequent, they need the audience (in whatever form) to remain as wide as possible to avoid becoming an irrelevance. If it does happen, expect it on every platform at an eye wateringly high price.

But it’s not Eon’s choice - it’s MGM and Universal, as distribution, who decide that.

EoN, for all intents and purposes, are Completely finished on NTTD, it’s MGM’s problem now…given their past performances over the last 20 years, don’t expect any good decisions.

3 Likes

30 years.

Would it be fair to say their track record began in '89 which lead to court battles between Eon and themselves, and later lead to the six year hiatus?

1 Like

Possibly even 40, Cubby and MGM argued for…the entirety of their relationship. It’s why Bond’s budget in the 80’s kept dropping.

If Apple or Amazon pays top dollar, MGM will gladly accept.

But… will Apple or Amazon have enough money? :laughing:

Yes…those two struggling start ups…

2 Likes

I think Apple might be able to! Amazon not really. They aren’t in the blockbuster business yet

And better be thankful. They started out with a few books. If they dip into blockbusters…

MGM also have that with cinemas, it’s just changing one house to another for them, versus Disney where there’s no debate, wait to share vs out now for free.

Amazon has, well, Amazon - so they don’t need it really.

Apple + needs exciting content. They would LOVE to be the house of Bond.

with a higher % - 50/50.

and yeah @secretagentfan Prime Video has always been a side gig for them.

1 Like

I don’t know what AMC and Cinemax demand - their tantrum over Trolls of all things would say it’s high.

1 Like

Disney’s problem is that the entire rest of the company got hit seriously by the coronavirus. Taking MULAN to their own service is really the best they can do now - and their shares climbed accordingly:

Shares in entertainment giant Disney have surged by nearly 10% today, after it reported strong growth at its new streaming services.

The firm reported last night that its Disney+ service has signed up more then 60m subscribers in its first nine months. That beat forecasts - perhaps a sign that people have been looking for more media to consume during the lockdown.

But the pandemic also hit Disney hard in other ways - revenues slumped by 42% in the last quarter as it was forced to shut its theme parks at a cost of $3.5bn.

Global cinema shutdowns also hurt its revenues, dragging the company to a loss of $4.8bn for the quarter.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/aug/05/gold-record-high-2000-uk-eurozone-services-sector-covid-19-ftse-business-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

1 Like

Im seeing on FB Bond groups news shared about Mulan being a 30$ 24h purchase?

I love Bond dearly, but in my country i pay 6€ for 2 tickets at the cinema. Tickets are 5,90 but 60% of ppl have phone operator deal that makes discount of 2for1.
I would imagine ppl would buy a lifetime digital copy for 30€! For one time? In here, that’s not happening… Even IMAX is 20€ for 2.

Ps: oh and Disney+ will only be launched mid September here. Only few manage to VPN’it from US or elsewhere. So, another hurdle to overcome. Netflix as more coverage and Amazon Prime simply non-existant.

3 Likes