What Movie Have You Seen Today?

True, but Scorsese made a career depicting them, until the shift with THE DEPARTED/SHUTTER ISLAND.

I thought the exact same thing. When I saw it at the festival, I thought it was nice, but not overwhelmed. Now I want to see it again. Thank you.

1 Like

The Water Diviner, 2014 film starring Russell Crowe in his directorial debut. There’s a tie-in with Bond since Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace) also stars. I thought it was very good. It almost felt like a throwback to Hollywood’s golden age in terms of style and production.

It reminded me of another remarkable Australian film, 1981’s Gallipoli … and for good reason. It covers the same territory, only most of the story happens after the First World War. We only see the war sequences in flashback, but they are no less brutal. One big difference between the two films is that here we get a Turkish point of view, as well.

4 Likes

Was going to put on two Bond movies today - One Moore and one Brosnan.

Which films do i choose?

4315612-fai35
tumblr_a03894d25770a9e2daae8a5f5ffd125d_768f0fed_500

3 Likes

TMWTGG and DAD.

Unloved by many - but with many hidden delights.

4 Likes

MOONRAKER and GOLDENEYE

4 Likes

For Your Eyes Only and Golden Eye. The best from both IMHO.

2 Likes

OP and TND

2 Likes

MR and and DAD. Apparently, you’ve got time to kill.
Absurd escapism is the best for such an occasion.

4 Likes

Moonraker winning for Roger. Goldeneye and DAD tying for Pierce…interesting…

3 Likes

Hmmmm…

Roger is wearing a suit not a tux and it’s not in a 2.35:1 ratio - so LALD or TMWTGG

Pierce doesn’t have the CGI bullet, so has to be GE, TND, or TWINE

I’ll go TMWTGG and GE

3 Likes

Goldeneye pulls ahead, but Sir Roger moves to two competitors.

2 Likes

Based on the screen shots, I’ll say go with the ones that started both actors’ tenures – Live And Let Die and GoldenEye.

2 Likes

Goldeneye taking a commanding lead…

1 Like

TMWTGG and Goldeneye definitely

2 Likes

Was the two i went for.

3 Likes

And?

TMWTGG and Goldeneye. Gold in the title, Bond actor going slightly different than their usual, famous British actor who dies a lot as the villain and one of the very rare appearances of Tanner (pre Rory Kinnear)

Biggest gap was in the Bond girl. TMWTGG has one of Moore’s weakest, Goldeneye has one of the series best - and i noticed Natalya gets FAR more of a story than most before or since.

6 Likes

Poor Things

It is quite funny that this is now streaming on Disney plus.

The film itself - definitely not for me.

2 Likes

Napoleon

Ridley Scott mounts this huge production as visually impressive as one expects, and Vanessa Kirby is excellent as Josephine. There is also a sinister humour running through most of Scott‘s films, and I enjoy that.

But this film does not offer anything narratively which hasn’t been done before too many times. So, to think that Scott also has a four hour version of this waiting…

2 Likes

It’s Timothy Dalton’s birthday, TLD and LTK are a must.
IMG_0077

Might also go for Hot Fuzz.
IMG_0079

8 Likes