Which Bond movies peaked during the pre-title?

Ha! I knew that the day would come that the Dutch would thank us for that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

As I remember it we were glad to take him - and Linda de Mol, Lou van Burg, Harry Wijnvoord and possibly a couple of others along with Carrell. Certainly one of the top three showmasters/entertainers of his generation. And arguably the most popular in the 70s - in Germany. It’s strange, looking back at this period, to realise how much he shaped our idea of tv entertainment.

All that talk of ‘campfire entertainment’ - stuff everybody watched back then - in relation to Gottschalk and ‘Wetten, dass’. But this kind of cosy Saturday night program started decades earlier. And Carrell was arguably its most proficient and dedicated content creator, a perfectionist in his trade, putting all his energy into the concepts, sketches, games, songs.

We don’t find a lot of this kind of creative spirit these days any more, sadly.

2 Likes

And his „Rudis Tagesshow“ was must see in our family. I still can hum the title melody, it summed up for me „All‘s right in my world“.

I was young.

2 Likes

It also made politics back then…

But we digress. :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Maybe we must start a Rudi Carrell topic? :yum:

(I honestly never thought I would ever ask this question in my life.) :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The Man With The Golden Gun – While the movie itself is hit-and-miss (I lean somewhat lukewarm-positive towards it overall), the pre-title sequence is my favorite in the whole franchise. Although he’s technically there in mannequin form, I don’t need Bond to be present during the PTS & I think the extra focus on Scaramanga makes him that much stronger of a character.

Moonraker – I absolutely love the movie overall but I don’t think anyone would argue that the PTS is among the best in the series (apart from a few unnecessary gags). The opening sequence of The Spy Who Loved Me already set the bar high and this one somehow exceeds it.

The Living Daylights – A solid movie overall but many would claim that this is the greatest introduction of a new Bond actor in the franchise. Also I can’t think of any particular sequence in the entire film that I find more satisfying.

The World is Not Enough – Arguably a bit overlong but that boat chase across the Thames is spectacular.

Die Another Day – Say what you will about the movie as a whole but the hovercraft chase might be my favorite PTS of the entire Brosnan era.

Spectre – I’m a big fan/defender of Spectre overall but I think if there’s something we can all agree on, the Day of the Dead PTS is the best part of the film.

5 Likes

Octopussy. For me probably because it was the latest release at the time on VHS, 84/85 when my Dad would rent a movie of my choice from the local video store on a Friday night. The newest Bond was the coolest to the 5/6 year old me. Remember waking up early probably around 5am to watch it for a third time before school and my mum running down stairs to yell “get back to bed”. “Fill her up please!”

2 Likes

With an entirely straight face, AVTAK.

You’ve got your gunbarrel, a middle-of-the-pack action sequence, and then one of the great theme songs. All getting you settled in your seat, the anticipation of a new Bond film coursing through your veins, ok, all familiar, all pretty decent, can’t wait to see what follows…

And then all that follows. I don’t think that AVTAK is ostensibly a bad film (not like TMWTGG, DAD, or dare I say it, SP). It has some very enjoyable moments - everything with Macnee, killing Tibbett was a mistake etc - but as a film it never rises much above it’s opening. Maybe, maybe, the car chase around Paris, and while Walken chews scenery (in hindsight a too-young Walken to be a great villain - imagine the King of New York Walken getting a go in a Brozza or a Dalton film), none of the other action set-pieces are up to much.

For sake of discussion, my choice is AVTAK

4 Likes

Weirdly, my opinion on AVTAK has changed - I find it engaging and not sagging during its course at all, with terrific setpieces in a more grounded, realistic style, like FYEO.

Come to think of it - the realism in the Moore Bonds after MR has been completely overlooked and underrated. Sure, there are still some over the top stunts. But aren’t they all at least believable? (Don’t say: but his AGE. I‘m talking about an ex-soldier whose skin gets crinkly as it is natural, but whose body is trained and as fit as can be.)

9 Likes

Goldfinger. The blueprint. TWINE is a close 2nd.

1 Like